Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently bought this game, and am looking forward to receiving it soon. However I do have one small concern and that is the number of tokens and chits involved in managing the characters. There seems to be two components of the baseboard as well as the triangular token and the bullet chits. This seems to be rather a large number of components just to manage the characters, not to mention equipment cards etc. My concern is that this will make the game somewhat fiddly to physically play. Do people find this a problem, and if so does anyone have any suggestions for streamlining the management of all these components.

I should say this is not intended as a criticism of the game itself but as my table space is limited, I would like to play it as efficiently as possible in terms of the actual gameplay components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Keith,

I just responded to your post a couple seconds ago here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/video/81543/secrets-lost-tomb/vide...

Basically I was suggesting you take a look at theGameBoyGeek's Rules Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Tzdgr1rg-Q

You'll be able to check out a little more about what the game looks like on the table etc....

Let me know if you have any other questions about the game

I'll let the BGG Community let you know what they think about the game play space and managing the chits etc...

Thanks,

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the fast response Chris, apologies for the dual post. I hope I didn't come across as being over critical. Certainly SotLT is indeed no worse than the other games you mention (e.g. Arkham Horror, or Eldritch Horror) in terms of components but I do have a few problems in managing components in these game. This probably comes about because I mostly play solo with multiple characters, so I have to keep track of quite a lot of components. This combined with fairly limited table space, means that I need to manage components as efficiently as possible. The overlay using dials and pegs is a great idea but I noticed that the overlay seems to get knocked about a little, I just wondered if there was a way to lock it into place on a particular character card. At any rate I will see how well things work when I get the game, I may be a little premature in worrying.

One thing which might be nice would be a small Android app, to keep track of the game components i.e. to simulate character cards. I am not talking about anything to play against you, just a small game management utility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keitharchaeologist wrote:
Thanks for the fast response Chris, apologies for the dual post. I hope I didn't come across as being over critical. Certainly SotLT is indeed no worse than the other games you mention (e.g. Arkham Horror, or Eldritch Horror) in terms of components but I do have a few problems in managing components in these game. This probably comes about because I mostly play solo with multiple characters, so I have to keep track of quite a lot of components. This combined with fairly limited table space, means that I need to manage components as efficiently as possible. The overlay using dials and pegs is a great idea but I noticed that the overlay seems to get knocked about a little, I just wondered if there was a way to lock it into place on a particular character card. At any rate I will see how well things work when I get the game, I may be a little premature in worrying.

One thing which might be nice would be a small Android app, to keep track of the game components i.e. to simulate character cards. I am not talking about anything to play against you, just a small game management utility.

Hey Keith!

Totally did not take any offense or think you were too critical! No problem and you totally have every right to make these comments they're totally valid!

You're very right, we'd love to have an app! If you know of an awesome developer please let me know

Also,

Just in case you don't know, we have a totally Solo Mode, so if you're going to play solo, you can play with the Solo Character or even any other Adventurer just manage the 1 character and use Companion Cards to help keep you alive. This will make table space much easier to manage

Certainly still lots of stuff but a bit less because you dont need multiple character cards and overlays for the game

Thanks so much again!
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chris,

Again thanks for your quick reply, your commitment and enthusiasm for your game is really impressive and I'm sure goes a long way towards its success. Once I receive my copy of the game and have got to grips with it I will probably have a go at an Android app myself. Sadly I am far from an awesome developer as I am just getting to grips with the platform although I have written some similar things, purely for my own use, in Visual Basic for the PC. If you are interested I will let you know if/when I manage to get something written as a fan based contribution to the game.

All the best,

Keith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keitharchaeologist wrote:
Hi Chris,

Again thanks for your quick reply, your commitment and enthusiasm for your game is really impressive and I'm sure goes a long way towards its success. Once I receive my copy of the game and have got to grips with it I will probably have a go at an Android app myself. Sadly I am far from an awesome developer as I am just getting to grips with the platform although I have written some similar things, purely for my own use, in Visual Basic for the PC. If you are interested I will let you know if/when I manage to get something written as a fan based contribution to the game.

All the best,

Keith

That would be awesome Keith!!

Good luck and keep in touch!

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about a large paper clip or some poster tack to hold the two together if it bothers me. I will see when my game arrives whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Paul,

Honestly,

It never really seems to be a problem knocking the overlay... When you spin the dials, you're probably going to hold the overlay with one hand, and spin the dial with the other, so it should be rather easy and quick... Usually this doesn't move it out of wack.

However, if you did decide to throw a clip on it or something... it would be fine after the game has begun (after setup) because everything hidden beneath would not be needed anymore

--Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are really worried about knocking things around and not aesthetically pretentious you can just use a piece of paper with a column for each stat and write down the value for each as it changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnimalMkIV wrote:
cbatarlis wrote:
Hey Paul,

Honestly,

It never really seems to be a problem knocking the overlay... When you spin the dials, you're probably going to hold the overlay with one hand, and spin the dial with the other, so it should be rather easy and quick... Usually this doesn't move it out of wack.

However, if you did decide to throw a clip on it or something... it would be fine after the game has begun (after setup) because everything hidden beneath would not be needed anymore

--Chris

That's cool. It's my biggest gripe with Robinson Crusoe, I'm forever nudging the character cards and losing track of health.
Like I said - Clumsy. Oaf.

Either way, I can't wait for this to arrive.

Luckily,

Even if you knock it.. you wont lose track of anything at all... that's what the Dials and the Pegboard are all about!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gunsch
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
My dials were way too stiff to get knocked to different numbers. I was bothered by how much the overlays moved around on the character sheets so I popped some photo corners (http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Photo-Corners-Adhesive/dp/B0...) on the back of the overlay to keep it still.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enemycoke wrote:
My dials were way too stiff to get knocked to different numbers. I was bothered by how much the overlays moved around on the character sheets so I popped some photo corners (http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Photo-Corners-Adhesive/dp/B0...) on the back of the overlay to keep it still.

OHHH!! Awesome Idea! Can you post some Pics of what they look like on there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Grentzenberg
United States
Maynard
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see a photo of your solution as well! Sounds like a great idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SquashRot wrote:
I'd like to see a photo of your solution as well! Sounds like a great idea!

There's a Couple Photos in our Library!

Here's a link to One!

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/2741298/secrets-lost-tomb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.