Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: oregon [+] [View All]
Justin Redd
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Portland geeks, come join us for games at the Lucky Labrador this Thursday.

A group of friends and strangers will be meeting for games. We've been doing this for a few months now. We've had about twenty to twenty-five people show up and game at recent nights. The group includes many newbies, gamers and some very seasoned eurogamers.

Our group is split about fifty-fifty between eurogamers and card gamers. In the past couple of months the eurogamers have played Samurai, Carcassonne, RA, Modern Art, San Juan, Hey! That's my Fish!, Trans America, Colossal Arena, Ingenius, etc. The card gamers have been playing Killer Bunnies, Guillotine, Fluxx, Phase 10, etc. I've also seen people play Scrabble and Risk, but no Monopoly .

We gather at seven and start claiming tables and playing games. The Lucky Lab is fairly crowded at this point and we usually end up spread out around the main room. By about eight-thirty, the non-gaming crowd is pretty thin. Most gamers leave around ten, but there's usually four or five people having too much fun to go home that stay until after eleven.

If you'd like to join us, please come on out. Feel free to bring a game or two.

Game night
Thursday, January 18th, 2007
7 PM - 10 PM
Lucky Labrador Brewing Co.
915 SE Hawthorne Blvd.
Portland, OR 97214
(503) 236-3555 (You can call the Lucky Lab, but they don't know anything about our game night.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Portland - boardgame night at The Lucky Lab, Jan. 18th '
Thanks for posting this, I hadn't heard about your group before.

I can only get out of the house on my own one evening a week (young kids), and usually my night out is for the go club at Powell's on Tuesdays...but once in a while I may be able to make it. Do you have a web page/mailing list/etc. that will be kept up to date with some sort of schedule?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Grey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome-I'll be there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try an make it as well. My usual Thursday night beer and pool crew has asked to stay home and play El Grande the last few Thursdays. Maybe I can drag 'em over to the Lucky lab this week.

Thanks for the heads up. Always cool to meet more Portland gamers.

I'll bring Nexus Ops, Pete. Maybe we can get a game in if I can get there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Redd
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
wmshub wrote:
Do you have a web page/mailing list/etc. that will be kept up to date with some sort of schedule?

Ah yes, I forgot to mention this. Our schedule is to meet 1st & 3rd Thursday's of each month at the Lucky Lab. We post this game night on both Meetup.com and meetin.org.

The Portland Boardgames Meetup Group (games only):
http://boardgames.meetup.com/306/

Meetin Portland (all manner of social activities):
http://www.meetin.org/city/MEETinPORTLAND/

And thanks for the info about the Go club.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed S.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I've been to this game night many times, it's great to see it thriving. I now live in the SF Bay Area, but I look forward to playing with you guys when I visit Portland again (and again and again).

Thanks for organizing, Justin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game night at a brewery. Damned good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Redd
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Well, our snowstorm may have stopped and slowed most of the city this week, but it won't stop our game night!

Our game night at the Lucky Lab will be held as planned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live on 30th and Hawthorne, so I'd be insane not to drop in for a few rounds. I own Funny Friends, Stoner Fluxx, Arkham Horror, Spank the Monkey, Landlord!, Catan, Carcassonne, Class Struggle, Ghettopoly, Public Assistance, The Game of Real Life, Stash, Chrononauts, Chez Geek and War on Terror (off the top of my head).

Let us know when the next round occurs.

Incidentally, how about switching it occasionally to that bubble tea house on Hawthorne. They have a really nice back room (far more comfy than the Lab) with soft couches and large tables. The address is 4258 SE Hawthorne (on the same side of the street as Mio Sushi and Third Eye).

ps: How did it all go? Seems I discovered this thread one day too late.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Redd
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
We had a good night. Over thirty people turned out. Games that I saw being played included Crokinole, Carcassonne: Hunters & Gatherers, Hey! That's My Fish!, Aladdin's Dragons, Hive, Mag Blast, Medici and Flaschenteufel.

We'll continue to meet at the Lucky Lab for games every first and third Thursday for games. Our next night will be February 1st. So come on out and join us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Humm.. well, I missed the 1st due to an inability to focus thought or motivate action. I take it the next gala will be on the 15th?

How is game selection established?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Redd
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Anarchosyn wrote:
Humm.. well, I missed the 1st due to an inability to focus thought or motivate action. I take it the next gala will be on the 15th?

How is game selection established?

Yup, we'll be meeting at the Lucky Lab again on Thursday, February 15th. The last time there were about thirty-five people there to play games. I saw Crokinole, RA, Modern Art, Medici, Samurai, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Parthenon, Carcassonne, Uno and something from Cheapass Games being played.

Selecting games is done very casually. A few people will gather around a table and chat until a game is suggested. Between games some folks switch tables.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jredd wrote:

Selecting games is done very casually. A few people will gather around a table and chat until a game is suggested. Between games some folks switch tables.

Almost sounds like we're talking about a swinger's bar.

Anyhow, since you know the mentalities better than I, would War on Terror fly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Redd
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Anarchosyn wrote:
Anyhow, since you know the mentalities better than I, would War on Terror fly?

That's a pretty obscure game there partner. I don't know much about the game, but I'm sure the theme would be fine. There's another group that meets at the Lucky Lab when we do called something like the "Liberal Drinkers." They tend to take some interest in our games. I'm sure that one would get their attention.

Anarchosyn wrote:
Almost sounds like we're talking about a swinger's bar.

Uh, we just play boardgames. You'll have to go somewhere else for that kind of action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.