Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to play Euro games only.
Recently I've become interested in wargames.
Due to various reasons, I prefer shorter (max up to 3h), light to medium war games (easier rules to teach/learn).

In another thread (in Gaming Related forum, I already got some nice suggestions for block wargames.

So I'm looking for other types of wargames (non hidden block wargames).

Based on my browsing on BGG, I made a short list:
Hold the Line
Warriors of God
Commands & Colors: Ancients (although I already own Memoir'44)

But I'm sure there are other great games, hence my post to receive your recommendations.

And yes, I'm aware of this thread, so it would be appreciated if we keep this one for recommendations only.

edit: grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Declan Breen
United Kingdom
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adrian, my recommendations.

Commands and Colors Ancients
Sekigahara
Hammer of the Scots
Hold Fast Russia

Popular Front - for 4/6 players if you can muster that number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mi recommendations would be:

Up Front: My favorite wargame. Recently available as a high quality print on demand from Wargame Vault.

Combat Commander: Europe: Combines the card play of Up Front with maps like Squad Leader.

Washington's War: The new version of the original; OP/E card driven wargame, We the People.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
SOLITAIRE
badge
WARGAMER
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to wargaming Adrian!

Check out Victory Point Games line-up. You may be interested in their Napoleonic 20 series, or any variety of games under War & Strategy. If you enjoy solo play, then check out their States-of-Siege series.

Best of luck, and enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

your list does look good. I would like to recommend Red Winter, which has all the elements of a classic hex and counter game, yet manages to be extremely accessible due to a mix of great components, very well written rules and excellent player aids. The campaign game doesn't fit into your time frame but a lot of the scenarios do.

Welcome to wargaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Henning
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
decb wrote:
Adrian, my recommendations.

Commands and Colors Ancients
Sekigahara
Hammer of the Scots
Hold Fast Russia

Popular Front - for 4/6 players if you can muster that number.

The first three are three of my top ten games. Highly recommend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you're interested in Warriors of God, you may want to keep an eye out for Warriors of Japan, the sister-game of Warriors of God, also from MMP. It appears (fingers crossed) that it will be out quite soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll keep block games out of my recommendations, as you have a separate thread. I would recommend these games highly:

Twilight Struggle
Washington's War
Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer
Quartermaster General

All very different games, all quick playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Command and Colors: Ancients

Great place to start!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Combat Commander: Europe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Lower
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I love a game of Up Front. Thanks WV!
mbmbmbmbmb
Adrian, welcome to wargaming! You are doing very well with your initial choices of Hold the Line and C&C:A.

Others here have suggested some good ones as well; I'd have to agree with Combat Commander: Europe (CC:Europe) as well as Wargames Vault's reprint of the excellent Up Front.

I would also suggest a peek at the Conflict of Heroes (COH) lineup. Their production value is top drawer and the gameplay is quick and tense. Don't be fooled by the poor box art, there is a good game in there. Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! – Kursk 1943 actually got my miniatures gaming group back into wargames!

I would also be remiss to not mention the Band of Brothers games. They, like CC:Europe and COH, are excellent tactical WW2 games. Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer might be a good one to start with. Each of the game series is different than the others, so read the reviews and pick your favorite... or do what I did and buy all of them!

If you wanted to stretch a bit and try some different types of wargames, you could check out Federation Commander: Klingon Border as well as the excellent Age of Sail game Close Action. Both of them meet your time limit criteria, but a few might argue that the rules exceed the medium complexity limit.

Although some were not as taken with it as I am, I really enjoy Gettysburg 150. It is a short and sweet Civil War game. Some of the homebrew rules here on BGG have merit and should be considered. It definitely meets your time limit and easy rules criteria. Read the reviews and make up your own mind.

Finally, if you want to get a great lunchbreak wargame, check out Ogre. It was the first wargame that I ever purchased and played. Steve Jackson Games did a reprint/homage of it recently, and you can still find it for $2.95 from the publisher. Sweet deal!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
iadrianik wrote:

Hold the Line
Warriors of God

Dude, you don't need recommendations. You're doing fine on your own. You likely need some news though.

Hold the Line is currently available, as is one of its cousins Hold the Line: Frederick's War. Very light and easy, but still has that step-into-harm's-way aspect that makes it a traditional wargame. Fast and fun, my buddy Pete has little stand-ups that he uses to have the generals stand upright instead of lying down. Adds a little punch to the display.

Warriors of God is hard to find, but due to reprint in 2016. It's magnificent, based upon the game Taiheiki by Nakajima. Neither are currently easy to find, but Warriors of Japan is, in the same family but set in medieval Japan. It's currently available on preorder for $33, but won't be in a week or two because it's due to print any day now. If you like the thematics you might consider that one this fall, then a shot at Warriors of God in the Spring or Summer. Cannot recommend this line of games highly enough. Nakajima really takes a different approach to wargaming, one well suited to the lack of command and control in the pre-gunpowder age. Magnificent rule book as well.

C&C Ancients is widely available, as is Expansion Pack 2 & 3 (one pack that combines them). The expansion adds a lot of scenarios and variety to the original. Were it me I'd try to pick up C&C on the cheap used so you don't have to sticker so many blocks, then get the Expansion Pack if you still have money left over.

But seriously, Warriors of God is exactly what you're looking for. A remarkable, unique game.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Command & Colors Ancients
Battle Cry
Quartermaster General
Washington's War
Gettysburg 88
A House Divided
History of the World
Conquest of Paradise

Last two are not particularly short, but are good multiplayer games if that is a possibility. Not going to recommend Combat Commander or ASLSK #1because they are probably too complex and Up Front because it is going to be very hard to find a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. H.
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at the classic SPI titles offered in https://www.hexwar.net/secure/default.aspx?

They have a number of titles using the classic Napoleon at Waterloo system, including the offshoot Civil War system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tank on Tank East Front
Tank on Tank West Front
Acies Edizioni (check Ascari, Walcheren, Obbedisco!, Caricat!)
Blue Max
Wooden Ships & Iron Men

EDIT: And welcome in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iadrianik wrote:
I used to play Euro games only.
Recently I've become interested in wargames.
Due to various reasons, I prefer shorter (max up to 3h), light to medium war games (easier rules to teach/learn).

In another thread (in Gaming Related forum, I've already got some nice suggestions for block wargames.

So I'm looking for other types of wargames (non hidden block wargames).

Hold the Line
Warriors of God

But I'm sure there are other great games, hence my post to receive your recommendations.

And yes, I'm aware of this thread, so it would be appreciated if we keep this one for recommendations only.

edit: grammar

With wargames, I think you'll find that an interest in the underlying subject matter will be more important than finding "great" games broadly.

My suggestion would be to 1) figure out a war, battle, or period that you are interested in and then 2) figure out what level--strategic/operational/tactical--you would like to see that subject gamed at.

Once you know those two things, then getting a recommendation will be a lot easier. Otherwise, people will just throw out their own personal favorite "entry-level game."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hatfield
United States
Helena
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest (some of these have been mentioned):

We the People/Washington's War -- (I'm not a fan of the new title. The original was such a better title in terms of meaning)

1775: The Rebellion-- (great, simple game that is great for introductory war gaming in the American War for Independence)

Pocket Battles-- There are a couple different varieties available. Romans vs. Celts, Macedonians vs. Persians, Confederates vs. Union, Orcs vs. Elves. Each is good, but you can also do mix and match between them as they are all compatible in system. (Offers great tactical thought for such a simple game. AND, if you can get a Magic player to play, they might very much enjoy it as it offers that head-to-head with a good amount of force selection)

Command & Colors: Ancients -- As mentioned, a very good game system with a lot of variety. Card driven, but with dice involved too.

For a moderate-level game, something like Blood & Sand (got in my first play of it yesterday). Simple rules, simple combat system, but it offers a good variety of things you can do in the game. Offers as much emphasis on maneuver as it does on combat.

Cry Havoc series -- man to man combat in the Middle Ages. They have it available only online for purchase, but there is even new material still being produced for it (just with limited print runs). Fantastic artwork and a simple system but WONDERFUL scenarios. You can get expansions for Medieval European, Feudal Japan, Vikings, and the Crusades!

Blue Max -- World War One aerial combat. The available reprint of it is a good starting point, and allows up to 6 players/aircraft to play at one time. Simple rules and good fun that can be played in just a short couple hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your suggestions.
If you have others, please let me know.

I'll update at some point this thread with the games that will enter in my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
iadrianik wrote:

These are all spectacular games. One thing that nobody's mentioned, though, is that Warriors of God is actually quite long. The rules are simple, and the game is brilliant. It doesn't feel long at all, but unless it's a complete blowout, I couldn't imagine finishing in 3 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Winter is great (and extremely accessible), but OOP. Luckily, it has a sister game that's about to be released, Operation Dauntless: The Battles for Fontenay and Rauray, France, June 1944!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
TomW731 wrote:
Not going to recommend Combat Commander or ASLSK #1because they are probably too complex and Up Front because it is going to be very hard to find a copy.

One can easily get the reprint from Wargame Vault. But it strikes me as a unusual recommendation for 'light or medium'. Gameplay is probably in the medium-heavy range, and it has one of the most opaque rulebooks in existence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just reacting to someone else's post recommending it and Combat Commander, both of which are going to be too complex for the OP. And I threw in ASLSK #1 just to be fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spearpoint 1943
Spearpoint 1943: Eastern Front

Light, portable, tactical, plays in 30 minutes. Western Front (original version) and newly released Eastern Front version linked above, both standalone games. For deeper tactical play there's an Origins-award-nominated terrain expansion compatible with each: Spearpoint 1943: Village and Defensive Line Map Expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought and received today a copy of the reprinted Warriors of God.

In January, I received from Secret Santa a copy of Manoeuvre.

Other wargames are still on the wishlist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Conflict of Heroes - coming from Euros, this is the perfect introduction to the world of tactical WW II games. The action point system and unit by unit activation, with plenty of back and forth and no down time, will be attractive to any Eurogamer. The scenarios start very small and the small ones play out in an hour or less.

Panzer (2nd Edition) - A meatier modeling of armor combat than the previous, but fast playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.