Hunters: Enter the Darkness» Forums » General

Subject: Power Creep rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game looks cool, but I keep wondering, as a person starts to accomplish their objectives: gain a boost from a tower, buy another power.

Will that person get too powerful for the others to compete against him/her?

I'm wondering about the balance of the champions too. Will certain champions have advantages over others for differing scenarios?

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Peach
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Desferous wrote:
The game looks cool, but I keep wondering, as a person starts to accomplish their objectives: gain a boost from a tower, buy another power.

Will that person get too powerful for the others to compete against him/her?

I'm wondering about the balance of the champions too. Will certain champions have advantages over others for differing scenarios?

Thanks for the help!

That's actually an interesting question about the design!

So let's start with Towers. Most Towers have a temporary reward when destroyed. Very rarely will you get a permanent boost. And really the balance there makes sense, temporary boosts from Towers being knocked over give more money to buy skills, permanent boosts give very little money, if any at all.

More abilities are really more choices, the difference between the strength of a Slot 2 and Slot 3 Ability is not very big. The point of more abilities was to give you more interesting options, not overpower people.

But I think one thing we did while play testing and getting feedback was make the game feel like the main strategy was committing to things. So if one side is winning the battle over 1 lane and it's tower, the other team may be winning a lane as well, or they might be chasing the bonus from the Objective. No games have felt like they were decided before they were over.

As for Champions balance. No. There is no rock-paper-scissor feeling with them. All Champions Stats are balanced on the same metric where in design I had a similar method to making a Roleplaying Character. I gave each Champion X amount of points to allocate, and things like Attack die or Ranged attacks vs Melee cost more than say Speed or Health.

Because of this system, all of them feel good at what they do, and you do get fun situations of Champions whose job is to survive, fighting ones whose job is to KO other Champions going head to head, and the winner becomes whoever rolls better, whoever took time to grab that Health Potion, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.