3 Posts

Diamonds» Forums » Variants

Subject: Retheme that makes teaching Diamonds a breeze rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
I was going to introduce Diamonds to a group of friends who are familiar with trick taking games. I found the suit actions a little abstract and started to think if I can slap on a theme to make it easier to teach and play without referencing the suit actions.

Here's what I came up with - mining dwarves (cos I can't get enough of them )

My 'Mine' card and 'Kingdom' shield compared to the original (no reference cards required!)

The suit actions are related to mining gold, and bringing them into your kingdom. The 4 dwarf classes that will help you do that are:

d10-1 Wizards (Magic) - move 1 gold from the supply straight into your kingdom
d10-2 Miners (Dig) - move 1 gold from the supply to your mine
d10-3 Goldsmith (Extract) - move 1 gold from your mine into your kingdom
d10-4 Warrior (Rob) - move 1 gold from your opponent's mine into your mine

I placed the basic rules behind the shield and it took me just 2 minutes to teach the game (as the players are all familiar with trick-taking games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
allison
United States
Plainfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
playitforwardfundraiser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I really love this retheme, you did an awesome job.

As far as teaching goes, we typically say you get to 'bury' your diamond with your spade (shovel) and you can steal a diamond by 'clubbing' (punching) an opponent. This still leaves hearts and diamonds. I usually make a point to show that diamonds are the best and most efficient suit (which is why it is called diamonds). That only leaves hearts, but it is still all very abstract.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LYNDA ORM
United States
Atlanta
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this theme! Is there a PNP posted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.