Subject: green eyed boy: fix it or skip it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking about running this scenario tonight (it is the only one out of the base game we haven't played) and obviously I have read the problems involved with it.

Namely, I think my group will head straight for the freezer even though I tell them not to. So I'm thinking of house ruling. Instead of the inevitable set-up, lose, breakdown, and set-up again.

Maybe the freezer opens the gates to hell and all investigators lose 3 health? Or are the other problems with this scenario to big to overcome?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Green Eyed Boy is one of my favorites. My two best games of MoM were with that scenario (but they were the ones without the freezer issue).

The only adjustment I've made to prevent that kind of Freezer malarky is to make the first event card trigger after 1 time token, and the remainder trigger after 6 time tokens each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
Green Eyed Boy is one of my favorites. My two best games of MoM were with that scenario (but they were the ones without the freezer insta-death).

The only adjustment I've made to prevent that kind of Freezer malarky is to make the first event card trigger after 1 time token, and the remainder trigger after 6 time tokens each.

I like that! Thanks! (although I was getting used to the idea of the gates of hell spewing heat and smoke throughout the house causing damage to the investigators )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you mind explaining the "Freezer"-issue? For people who are not familiar with this and find this thread in the future. But maybe in a spoiler bracket

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
Would you mind explaining the "Freezer"-issue? For people who are not familiar with this and find this thread in the future. But maybe in a spoiler bracket

Sure.

As you're probably aware, the scenarios in Mansions of Madness each have three possibilities for plot, which determines the victory conditions for both the keeper and the investigators (the "objective"). It is typically the investigators' job to discover clues in sequential order until they find the final clue, where the objective will be revealed.

Objectives can be things like "the Keeper wins if every investigator is insane" or "the investigators win if they beat the final boss monster."

Green-Eyed boy is the largest/longest scenario, so it takes a while to set up. One of the three possible objectives says:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Keeper wins if any investigator enters the Freezer room.

Since the game encourages exploring, investigators will split up and try to cover as much ground as they can. Some issues are:
The Freezer room is fairly close to the starting space, so in principle an investigator can get into that room in only a couple turns.

This problem was supposed to be side-stepped because
the first event card warns the players not to enter the freezer

but this doesn't work well because
the event doesn't occur until the end of the third turn (IIRC), so it's entirely possible the investigators will enter that room before even having reason to suspect they should not.

Considering that this scenario requires at least two investigator players, and it recommends more, chances are you are going to have many investigators playing, who together cover a lot of ground and increase the chances of this problem.

Then the game comes to an abrupt end with one side losing without a chance to avoid it. So setting up and tearing down will each be longer than the game. That's, of course, no fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matěj Jan Morávek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus you should consider the way your investigators' players think. My friends tend to enter the freezer BECAUSE someone told them to NOT enter it (D&D RPG players, you know, but it can happen to anyone trying to play an epic story;-)). It requires a lot of effort from the Keeper to lure them away then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice job, Kungfro !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Lesperance
United States
Northville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The freezer issue is even worse than stated above. My group actually got the clue that said "don't enter the freezer." But they also noted that the freezer has a lock card on top of its explore pile.

So, our group made an obvious observation. In every other MoM scenario, if you attempt to enter a room with a lock (and no key) you get to reveal the lock card, but then bump back outside the room without entering.

So, they made the perfectly logical choice to *feign an attempt* to enter the freezer so that they could reveal the nature of the lock in case that info proved useful later (as it usually does).

Unfortunately, this is the one lock card in the game that isn't a "lock" and lets you walk right in and auto-lose the scenario.

Doh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Lesperance
United States
Northville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might add, though, that I modified the text of 2 cards slightly, making it so much fun that everyone was happy to have lost.

Event 1: A man crawls toward you. He is desiccated, frost bitten, hoar covered, barely recognizable. "Don't enter the freezer..." He dies.

Losing text: (right off the card) You step into a frozen landscape. The portal to your world closes behind you, trapping you here.

(I then added)

Ithaqua kept you barely alive, like a cat playing with its favorite, mostly dead mouse, feeding off of your despair. Weeks and months passed in agony. When all seemed lost, another portal appeared. And with the last of your strength, you leapt through to find yourself back in the house.

Though snow blinded, you sense someone ahead rushing to your aid. You know its too late for you, but at least you can save him. Dessicated, frost bitten, and hoar covered, you crawl towards him. "Don't enter the freezer...," you whisper before darkness overwhelms you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think maybe you should tag those as spoilers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vlesperance wrote:
I might add, though, that I modified the text of 2 cards slightly, making it so much fun that everyone was happy to have lost.

Event 1: [...Cut...]

I like what you've done it with Event 1 a lot - it makes sense. As you are changing the text of Event 1, I'd consider adding a movement boost to it as well.

The map is huge - the largest in the base game - and combined with the traitor it's very hard for the investigators to win.

So, to help re-balance the scenario a bit how about the following:

His desperate last words spurn you on - all investigators may immediately move 1 space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.