abte aasewee
msg tools
Last night, while playing C&K, our playgroup of 4 guys got into a dispute. Our house rule has been simply "Re-roll 7s until the barbarians hit." It's kind of a nice way to get everyone built up a little and get the game off to a faster start without having to worry about the robber or hand size until the barbarians hit.

Problem came when one of the players played the Bishop card. 2 of the players (that the Bishop affected) argued that it couldn't be played because it was assumed we don't allow the robber to come into play until the barbarians hit because of the 7 rule.

Two players argued that the actual rule was simply "no 7s", which didn't actually specify that the robber was removed from the game until Barbarians hit, and that making a progress card invalid (and potentially stolen with a Spy) for part of the game didn't make sense.

We argued for 15 minutes and finally allowed it to be played, but I was looking for some feedback from the community on your thoughts. Should we redefine the house rule to be "no 7s and/or robbers until barbarians hit" or were the two players justified in their argument?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I believe the rule is that you don't move the robber when a 7 is rolled until after the barbarians hit. So... if before the barbarians hit for the first time, someone rolls a seven, you still lose half you cards if over the amount you're allow to have.

I understand the house rule... but I like the original rule.

As per your argument.

Your house rule is "Re-roll 7s until the barbarians hit." - this says nothing about using the robber for any other reason: the bishop possibly being one of them.

I'd argue - in your case with the house rule, that no... you can't use it, simply because in the game's original rules, you may not use it. (page 4)

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW from the rule book:

emphasis mine...

C&K p. 4 Mayfair 1999ish edition wrote:

"A roll of '7' means no production. When playing with this expansion, the robber is not moved until after the barbarians have reached the island and raided Catan at least once. The robber doesn't move when a '7' is rolled. You may not steal a card from another player, nor move the robber with a knight or with any progress card that normally allows you to move the robber. When a '7' is rolled, all players must still check to see if they have too many cards in their hand. If they do, then they must still discard half of them to the bank. Only the movement of the robber pawn is affected by this new rule.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more quick thing.

Part of the reason I still enjoy C&K is that you have to adapt to the changing environment.

I'd suggest you ditch the house rule and try with the written rules... it may be a bit tougher at first, but eventually you will learn to compensate.

-DK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Staswick
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
You seriously argued for 15 mins about this?

I'd find a new playgroup......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know where I read this (which means it's either in the rule book somewhere or on a thread here), but the last time we played we had the robber "enter" Catan with the first barbarian ship. So in that case, the robber can't be manipulated until after the barbarians hit for the first time, since it's not even on the island.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.