Hide
17 Posts

T.I.M.E Stories» Forums » General

Subject: replay it for the gameplay? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Popov Victor
msg tools
hello! i'm thinking of buying this game but the fact that it's "like a movie" type of experience keeps holding me back ... and the price tag )

my questions is this: is the game still fun to play through after you finsh it the first time? is the gameplay interesting? i'm asking this because i have been playing Dead Panic recently. that game also has some sort of a story (collect radio pieces, call van, get in the van) and it's the same "story" everytime i play it but still i enjoyed each gaming session. and with the same group of people

another question is this: do you get to see everything in your first playthrough? if not, i guess it would be wise to make notes on the decisions and locations that you visit so taht you could see those on your second/third playthrough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Knutson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone who has played this game should jump in and give their expert opinion.

I'm going to go ahead and give my extremely non-expert opinion.

There are lots of games that have a story that adds to the gameplay experience, but games like Dead Panic is a game first and a story second.

My understanding of this game is that is is really more of a story than a game. For example, maybe on your first play-through you discover that is really important to save the cop who needs rescuing (this is not a spoiler, it's a made up example.) Alternatively you might discover that is not important, maybe he's going to die despite your best efforts, and it is just a waste of your time and resources to try to save him. After losing, and discovering the result of trying to save him or not, then you're going to keep doing the thing that you discovered was the "right" thing to do (save him or not) in later play-throughs.

It will take your group 4 or 5 times to get the scenario right. After that, I suspect you won't want to play that scenario again for a good long while. Maybe after a couple years you will want to come back to it, like rewatching a favorite movie. Or maybe you will try it with another group, but then you will have to be careful not to try to guide everyone's actions too much, since you know how to "solve" the scenario already.

From my understanding T.I.M.E. Stories is a really unique type of game. It is difficult to compare it to other games, and it may be unfair to try to compare its cost to other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hellsten
United Kingdom
Thatcham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is a co-operative mystery story game. It has virtually no replayability. The fun of the game (IMO) is to explore the story, chat to your friends about what to do, and see what happens.

When the story is finished (and you won) there is no reason to go back and do it again.

A comparison to an old choose your own adventure such a The Warlock of Firetop Mountain is a good one. If you already know the route through the book, would you keep replaying it?

With all that said, its a very unique game that I enjoy a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played The Asylum, and I would agree that there is not much "game" there. But it is an experience for sure.
There is the aspect of discovery, but that *just happens* really; there is no real sense of achievement, I felt. Wonder, surprise, maybe.
And then there is the logistical challenge, which is game-like, but not playful.

We managed to "win" the game in the third run, and there are maybe some tiny bits that we didn't see, red herring, dead ends, stuff. I am actually not sure, and it didn't seem pressing to us to find out after we had "won".

Notes: I think for us notes would have felt a little like cheating, but I honestly don't know if the rules address it. We managed well without notes.

And, as everybody will tell you: it would be bizarre to play one of the cases for a second time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
RAVENBURG wrote:

A comparison to an old choose your own adventure such a The Warlock of Firetop Mountain is a good one. If you already know the route through the book, would you keep replaying it?

To be honest, I used to replay (re-read) those a lot.. Then again I 1. sucked at those so it took a long while to find proper path 2. have bad memory 3. had good imagination and only two adventure books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Rosenquist
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Choose Your Own Adventure books had multiple endings. There wasn't always just 1 good ending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Popov Victor
msg tools
ChronoRogue wrote:
Someone who has played this game should jump in and give their expert opinion.

I'm going to go ahead and give my extremely non-expert opinion.

There are lots of games that have a story that adds to the gameplay experience, but games like Dead Panic is a game first and a story second.

My understanding of this game is that is is really more of a story than a game. For example, maybe on your first play-through you discover that is really important to save the cop who needs rescuing (this is not a spoiler, it's a made up example.) Alternatively you might discover that is not important, maybe he's going to die despite your best efforts, and it is just a waste of your time and resources to try to save him. After losing, and discovering the result of trying to save him or not, then you're going to keep doing the thing that you discovered was the "right" thing to do (save him or not) in later play-throughs.

It will take your group 4 or 5 times to get the scenario right. After that, I suspect you won't want to play that scenario again for a good long while. Maybe after a couple years you will want to come back to it, like rewatching a favorite movie. Or maybe you will try it with another group, but then you will have to be careful not to try to guide everyone's actions too much, since you know how to "solve" the scenario already.

From my understanding T.I.M.E. Stories is a really unique type of game. It is difficult to compare it to other games, and it may be unfair to try to compare its cost to other games.

so say after 4-5 times of playing and finally getting the scenario right, wouldn't it still be fun to go through the story with say different items, or characters? wouldn't the gameplay still be fun even though you already know the story and the choices that you need to make?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There aren't real different ways to succeed in this. You are on a time budget, you have no leeway to diverge much. Plus, you will have encountered 98% of the content already.
The different characters - I don't think there's an appeal, because the characters constrain you rather than enabling you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Popov Victor
msg tools
Againsto wrote:
There aren't real different ways to succeed in this. You are on a time budget, you have no leeway to diverge much. Plus, you will have encountered 98% of the content already.
The different characters - I don't think there's an appeal, because the characters constrain you rather than enabling you.

hmm. i guess this it is truly a 4-5 hours game then with no point in replaying it unless you change your group of friends. and even then you alredy know how it should play out. but i guess it would be kinda fun to keep your mouth shut and watch them try to resolve the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b p
Croatia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In theory you could do multiple runs until you manage to pull off a perfect "did everything in one go and scored top result" score.
But honestly i dont see much appeal in that.

The actual gameplay is somewhat lacking as this really isnt a board-game in a traditional sense. It is this crazy fun, interactive 4-hour adventure you can do with your friends, and after you solve it, you will be super hyped to play more scenarios- not repeat the one you just did.

Yes, it is expensive for a 1-off, but honestly it was the best time my gaming group had in a while and i consider it totally worth it and cant wait to get the new scenarios when they come out (we burned through the first two in two Saturday evenings- and were left wanting for more)

I just hope that more people like at as much as we did, so the designers can keep pumping out new stories on a fairly regular basis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Popov Victor
msg tools
the truth is that i would love to play this game. and i would play it solo so i could read myself the story bits. but as it stands right now the price is just too steep for what it offers. i ll buy steampunk rally now and will get time stories when it gets a discount at my store

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
B├╝ckeburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
just kidding
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like that kind of game then check out
Tragedy Looper since it has similar game mechanics,
but it plays a bit differently since it is GM vs
Players. It comes with some scenarios. Maybe have a
look
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Popov Victor
msg tools
Goldron wrote:
look

i did check that one out but the anime theme rly puts me off

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bubu91 wrote:
Goldron wrote:
look

The anime art style of Tragedy Looper scores very low for me too, but the game play is so good that, for me at least, the art disappears into the background when playing. (Though it was amusing when a friend suddenly realised one character was male, not female.)

And, as we're here on the game's forum, I, and my group, found T.I.M.E Stories hugely entertaining, nothing else was played that night as we just wanted to experience more of the fun. The only thing holding it back from 10/10 for me is the lack of readily available scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Rosenquist
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bubu91 wrote:

Anime. For whatever reason, people seem to either love it or hate it. It honestly makes no sense to me, but it is what it is I suppose.

Tragedy Looper is an awesome game,though, and comes with 10 scenarios in the base box (there is 1 expansion available as well). And it comes with instructions on developing your own scenarios. CAN'T play it solo, though, no matter how you shake it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
bubu91 wrote:
my questions is this: is the game still fun to play through after you finsh it the first time? is the gameplay interesting?
Absolutely not.

But the game is amazing and you should buy it. So good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Popov Victor
msg tools
clydeiii wrote:
bubu91 wrote:
my questions is this: is the game still fun to play through after you finsh it the first time? is the gameplay interesting?
Absolutely not.

But the game is amazing and you should buy it. So good.

oh i will for sure buy it ... at christmas

i'm curious what is the playtime for a solo playthrough. might it take longer than 4-6 hours?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.