Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MeepleofaMan
United States
Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for a miniature games for my 13 yo for Christmas. We have Drizzt and Ashardolon so we are covered for campaign-like dungeon crawls. He does not like zombies (unlike his dad) so sadly no Zombicide. We also own BattleLore, Heroscape, D&D attack wing. It doesn't necessarily need to be a 2p combat game.

I've done some research and am considering:
Blood Rage: worry it might be a bit fiddley for his age and worry the theme might be a bit intense, but still considering...
Rum and Bones: fits except for the cost ($80), I like the 30-45 minute play time.
Cave Troll: I like that its described as chess which he likes but the miniatures seem less detailed.
Kemet: a family member has this, I need to try this out.

Off the list:
Cyclades: played but don't need to own it.
Mice and Mystics: he would consider this a children's game.

What other games are out there? Seems like CMON is the king of miniatures but I am hoping there are others out there.

Thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco DeLaurentis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played Mice and Mystics? Just because it's about mice, doesn't really make it a childrens game IMO.

You could try either Warhammer 40k or (my pefrence) Warmachine/hordes. With these you also get into painting of minis, which can be a bonus. Helps with artistic endevours and can spend time with him painting instead of in front of the TV/video games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would highly recommend ...

Galaxy Defenders appx $60

Alien Uprising appx $25

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moray Grant
United Kingdom
Dyce
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would place Blood Rage as less fiddly than Kemet and both are excellent dudes on a map game.

I could recommend either.

Other games off the top of my head that I think may be worth a look
Specter Ops
Nexus Ops
Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pamela Batten
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
If you want a game that is easy to learn but can grow and have depth as you get used to it, I suggest Witchborn.

I tried this game at GENCON and loved it. It was esay to understand. The best part about it, is that it is a minatures game that you can use other minatures with. The base set comes with a map and the users guide.

I had great customer service. The company was quick to deliver and answer all my questions.
I am not affiliated with this company in anyway.

Pamela Batten

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Dominguez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Slaughterball or BloodBowl might be up his alley. Fantasy football type games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Magic: The Gathering- Arena Of the Planeswalker

Memoir '44

Battleship: Galaxies

Each are great, but in different ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you have BattleLore, but I must add a vote for Memoir 44. It is a much simpler game and takes the thought out of the setup. All three of my boys love it (10-15-17) and we have played it many many times.

What Memoir will do is give him a solid gateway into reading about WWII. Tying actual history into a game the way this does is really well done.

i really recommend it.

I'm also going to mention Imperial Assault. The campaign works really well with three players and the skirmish games are really good. It is more about building your side then just playing the mission. Base game comes with three maps for skirmish that gives you 6 missions. Other expansion packs also come with more. You won't get tired playing them. Short -30-45 minutes each... But again, the joy is trying to build that perfect side.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Kolinski
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mutant chronicles

Out of print but cheap to buy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Clarke
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
www.unhalfbricking.com
badge
EuroGamer since 1980, & online games retailer since 2003
mbmbmbmbmb
Titan Race new release & great fun
Sator Arepo Tenet Opera Rotas: Malleus Maleficarum expanded re-release, & a bit of a brainier game that Titan Race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Stein
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
DANCE!
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the Battletech Introductory Box Set? The current version has 26 minis and 2 double sided map boards. If you or he have played any of the MechWarrior computer games, this is what they're based off of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
If you can find a copy, Space Hulk has been my favorite miniatures board game since I was a teenager.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MeepleofaMan
United States
Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I know my son is already getting some expansions for Battlelore so I am trying to stay away from 2 player, hex map games. I should have mentioned that in the original post.

Marcodel wrote:
You could try either Warhammer 40k or (my pefrence) Warmachine/hordes. With these you also get into painting of minis, which can be a bonus. Helps with artistic endevours and can spend time with him painting instead of in front of the TV/video games.
Looked into this and it looks good. He has expressed an interest in painting minis. I might just have to ask Santa to add a few Warmachine minis to his stocking. He likes collecting the minis as much as playing, if not more. He loved digging in the minis-bins at GenCon.

Kythrid wrote:
I would highly recommend ...
Galaxy Defenders appx $60
I have a few campaign games I need to finish(or start), but Galaxy Defenders looks like a great next buy once those are done. I need to gauge his interest in space themed games (we've done mainly dungeon games). If there is a strong interest, this may be the answer.

Aberdonian wrote:

Other games off the top of my head that I think may be worth a look
Specter Ops
Nexus Ops
Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game
My son does not like hidden role games, so Spector Ops is out, he cannot keep a straight face. I had forgotten about Nexus ops. We need to pull out D&D attack wing and see if he likes that system before we start on X-Wing.

volnon wrote:

Magic: The Gathering- Arena Of the Planeswalker
Memoir '44
Battleship: Galaxies
Each are great, but in different ways.
My son doesn't like MTG, so I'm a bit concerned that that bias would carry over to MTG:AOTP.
A family member has Memoir 44 and my son has played it about 3 times. But it might be too close to Battlelore.
Battleship Galaxies looks cool, hadn't heard of it before. Too bad Hasbro didn't support it. Might pick that one up at some point.

lazzater wrote:
mutant chronicles
Out of print but cheap to buy
Coming back into print according to Dice Tower News (http://www.dicetowernews.com/siege-of-the-citadel-returns/20...)

Thanks again and I will continue to research the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.