Popular Tags: [View All]
PaYa Hanák
Hungary
Budapest
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

As a second game, we tried to play 416 - and it was a failure. Maybe we have not enough experienced to play 504, but...
During the setup, we found, it has to be played with resident.

But we can't found out, how can we gather/buy the residents, where they enter to the map. We have found, hwo can we transport them, how can we use them for fighting, but nothing about buying/putting them onto the map.

Maybe we missed something, but can somebody help me on this?

regards,
paya
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Onken
Germany
Varel
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How to buy and place residents is found in the rulebook in the section for the general rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing you haven't fully read the rules on page 6-7. Those are present for every World, and give all the general rules, such as how to purchase residents in every world that uses them and how they can always move and settle on their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, World 123 fails to be a good introduction in one important way: it completely fails to introduce people to the fundamental rules for residents. We tried 124 after 123, and that was pretty strange: it felt like "adding" this whole new mechanic of residents, and military, and all this, when it wasn't actually really important either for VPs or income, and the person who completely ignored residents looked like he was doing pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, that's a good thing. It gives you most of the other basics of the game without over-complicating the first game by including residents too. Your second game will almost certainly introduce residents to you, which is the perfect time to learn about them.

I have no idea how a player can ignore residents in world 124. It is harder to earn money without them. Did you still allow the player to place settlements with his trolley? That rule is not in effect when you use residents, so it can't be used in World 124. The only way a player could earn money while ignoring residents is via visiting cities with their trolley, which other players should be doing too, although they will also be visiting Other places with their residents and perhaps using Military attacks to take over other tiles for more cash.

Edit: Although looking at it again, I do see I missed the fact that residents can't seem to take cities on their own (due to the rule that only the trolley can enter cities). That does make settling rather boring, as you're usually losing money by doing so.

World 124 is probably a bad introduction to residents for this reason. The residents really only slow you down.

Edit 2: And looking at it again, I am again going to reverse my decision again. Residents can be useful to this world. I'd forgotten how your tiles help your trolley and opposing tiles hurt your trolley with module 4 in play. Given that you have to spend an extra movement point when moving onto an opponent's tile for the first time each turn, it is useful to blockade your capital and other cities to make it harder for your opponents to enter (and also exit sometimes). Having plenty of your own tiles scattered about is also a good way to get extra movement points for your trolley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans-Joerg Gross
Germany
Black Forest
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaYa wrote:
Hello,

As a second game, we tried to play 416 - and it was a failure. Maybe we have not enough experienced to play 504, but...
During the setup, we found, it has to be played with resident.

But we can't found out, how can we gather/buy the residents, where they enter to the map. We have found, hwo can we transport them, how can we use them for fighting, but nothing about buying/putting them onto the map.

Maybe we missed something, but can somebody help me on this?

regards,
paya

Hello Paya,
the residents enters the game in Phase 3C = Purchase.
This phase is always in use in games with residents.
Please look at Page 29 in the rules. There is a full overview of all possible phases of the game. The small black figure with an exclamation mark signs, that this phase is always in use in games with residents. It is never extra listed in the book of worlds.
Regards
Hans-Joerg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Actually, that's a good thing. It gives you most of the other basics of the game without over-complicating the first game by including residents too. Your second game will almost certainly introduce residents to you, which is the perfect time to learn about them.

I have no idea how a player can ignore residents in world 124. It is harder to earn money without them. Did you still allow the player to place settlements with his trolley? That rule is not in effect when you use residents, so it can't be used in World 124. The only way a player could earn money while ignoring residents is via visiting cities with their trolley, which other players should be doing too, although they will also be visiting Other places with their residents and perhaps using Military attacks to take over other tiles for more cash.

Edit: Although looking at it again, I do see I missed the fact that residents can't seem to take cities on their own (due to the rule that only the trolley can enter cities). That does make settling rather boring, as you're usually losing money by doing so.

World 124 is probably a bad introduction to residents for this reason. The residents really only slow you down.

Edit 2: And looking at it again, I am again going to reverse my decision again. Residents can be useful to this world. I'd forgotten how your tiles help your trolley and opposing tiles hurt your trolley with module 4 in play. Given that you have to spend an extra movement point when moving onto an opponent's tile for the first time each turn, it is useful to blockade your capital and other cities to make it harder for your opponents to enter (and also exit sometimes). Having plenty of your own tiles scattered about is also a good way to get extra movement points for your trolley.
Not really wanting to contribute to the derailment of this thread, but since the conversation is happening here: Residents do accomplish a little, yes. You can build a small highway into neutral territory that marginally increases your speed and marginally decreases opponents' speed. But capturing territory is a lot of effort for no gain at all. Capturing cities is a lot of effort for minimal gain. And the opponent, when they see you massing on their borders, can swap their HQ in to grant an extra +2 defence for free. So basically territory sticks to the initially-grabbed divisions: it's really not worth contesting anything.

And the speed boost really doesn't matter that much. Because you need to deliver to unvisited cities to gain cash for upgrades, you need to be off around new bits of the map; it's very unlikely your territory will extend far enough to be useful for more than about 2-3 movement points throughout the whole game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.