Popular Tags: [View All]
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jim,
From the description I'm getting the impression that solo play is doable but may be more for practice rather than a full fledged game.
Could you expand on that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Felli
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure.

In the multi-player game, you have to cooperate to kill the King and then turn on each other to get the Crown home first and win. Once the King dies, the 4 thugs break off into AI-regulated patrol routes to provide moving obstacles that try to get the Crown -- if a thug gets the Crown back to the Blood Mists, it becomes the new King and picks up the ritual where the old King left off! There are certain scrolls (spells) that are useful to de-buff opponents and to buff multi-player groups.

In the solo version, you are working alone. There is a different (and fatal) mechanism to access the King. The thugs still seek to get the Crown back to the Blood Mists and you are still trying to get the Crown to your tribal board. However, a couple of things happen:

1) You remove de-buff and multi-player focused cards from the deck before you play (these cards are marked).

2) The thugs have a different AI. In the solo game, 2 of the 4 thugs patrol the same route that goes by your tribal area (which can cause a lot of problems) and the other 2 actively chase the Crown.

3) There is a scoring system based on how many turns it takes you to win. (Typical solo games run about 6 to 10 turns.)

In many ways, solo is not as interesting as multi-player because you lose the competitive elements and uncertainty of your opponents' actions. And, in many ways, solo is "practice" in the sense that it can reveal new strategies and card combinations that will help your multiplayer game.

That said, solo is also a fun, 20 minute or so play time game (on average) that offers a score. And you have hard choices about cannibalizing your zimbies, using zombies that may also attack your own zimbies, how much mojo to hold in reserve, anticipating thug movements... and killing the King is not easy by yourself!

Does that help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks Jim, that gives me a clearer picture of the solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Felli
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try and video a solo game, but it will be with a prototype.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
http://chrisbogert.wixsite.com/chaturanga-family
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, if you do a solo game video, that would be very cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Felli
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm... I could probably swing that in the summer. I need to have a copy of the game in hand to make videos... :-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
http://chrisbogert.wixsite.com/chaturanga-family
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, having a copy certainly would be useful in making the video. Summer eh? Can't wait
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.