Stone Age» Forums » Rules

Subject: What if I have more than 8 cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
haim benisty
Israel
flag msg tools
Hi!

At the final phase of the game, when players are needed to calculate their scores, I know that if I have 8 cards it means 64 points, but what if I have more than 8 cards?

Is it still 64 points, or the extra cards starts new calculation of the cards?

for example, If I have 10 cards:

1. The limit is 64 points for the cards and I still get 64 points for 10 cards

2. I start new calculation for the extra 2 cards, and now I get 64 points for 8 cards and 4 points for the extra 4 cards.

So, Which option is correct?

Thanks!
Haim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You get the square of the number of unique civ cards. Duplicates would score as a 2nd set, in your case, an additional 4 points.

Gg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to over egg the first reply, you don't necessarily get 64 points for 8 cards, they would all need to have different symbols on them and so 8 x 8 = 64 points. Duplicate cards would need to be included in a second set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, a second set only gives 1 pt per card & it's only the first set that gives the square (yep- just checked my copy of the rules)

So if you had 10 cards with 8 unique ones you would score 64 for the set of 8 & 2 for the extra two cards for a total of 66
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
haim benisty
Israel
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot guys!
You helped me a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toc13 wrote:
IIRC, a second set only gives 1 pt per card & it's only the first set that gives the square (yep- just checked my copy of the rules)

So if you had 10 cards with 8 unique ones you would score 64 for the set of 8 & 2 for the extra two cards for a total of 66

This depends on which version of the rules you have. In some editions, the second set is only 1 point per card, in other editions you count the square for the second set as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jurgen Koller
Australia
Cherrybrook
NSW
flag msg tools
Great Underground Empire
badge
Explorer
mbmbmbmbmb
There were a bunch of threads on the official ruling on how to score the second set of civilisation cards. This one contains a poll on how people play it plus a link to that thread:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/440538/poll-how-are-you-sco...

I'll let you decide. Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pereira
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Either way, even if you only score one point pre card in the second Set you're stealing way more points to your opponents
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow I wasn't aware of this 2 different editions issue until now. I had learned and always played that duplicate cards are just 1 point each; that must be the edition of the rules that I have. But I recently started playing the iOS app, and it scores a second set fully. This matters a lot in a 2 player game, where it's a lot easier to get a ton of green cards. That's annoying that there's 2 different versions, and seemingly no "official" correct answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liallan G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not going to hunt down the threads on this, but I seem to recall there was general consensus the 2nd set was squared. ??

The one thing I can tell you without looking it up, because that's what is in my rules, is that there's a bad example in one of the sets of RGG rules. The second set has only 1 card in it and shows "1 x 1", thereby making it impossible to know if that's 1 card x 1 pt each, or 1 card squared. I believe the original rules clearly show/state the second set is squared. Since "1x1" is ambiguous and the original was squared, I personally would draw the conclusion it's squared.

What I'm not sure of is if there's a set of rules that specifically says they are 1 pt each.

On the other hand, it's not like I've seen a lot of duplicate set building, beyond a couple maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Liallan wrote:
I'm not going to hunt down the threads on this, but I seem to recall there was general consensus the 2nd set was squared. ??

The one thing I can tell you without looking it up, because that's what is in my rules, is that there's a bad example in one of the sets of RGG rules. The second set has only 1 card in it and shows "1 x 1", thereby making it impossible to know if that's 1 card x 1 pt each, or 1 card squared. I believe the original rules clearly show/state the second set is squared. Since "1x1" is ambiguous and the original was squared, I personally would draw the conclusion it's squared.

What I'm not sure of is if there's a set of rules that specifically says they are 1 pt each.

On the other hand, it's not like I've seen a lot of duplicate set building, beyond a couple maybe.

The current German rules from HiG still have an example with a one-card second set. It was Rio Grande that came up with the one point per card for additional sets, and I have seen copies with that rule. The current English rules from Z-Man match the current German rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liallan G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ericamick2 wrote:

The current German rules from HiG still have an example with a one-card second set. It was Rio Grande that came up with the one point per card for additional sets, and I have seen copies with that rule. The current English rules from Z-Man match the current German rules.

Weird. Now that I'm looking at it, it says "During the final scoring, each player multiplies the number of different card by itself and adds extras." But I don't think this is the rules I learned from, which probably just adds to the confusion. Now this will drive me crazy. LOL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Penigar
msg tools
On a recent version of the game I played on iOS, I had all eight cards plus three more into a second set, and the game scored me for 73 points (64 for the first eight + 9 for the set of three).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.