Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I can't help but notice that everyone raves about Splotter games. I don't really know what they are, having never played one, but the interest level suggests that there's something I should check out here. I also have a chance, for the next little while, to preorder FCM from my OLGS.

Most of my gaming will be 2p with my wife. She's into heavy games, though we generally prefer games that take 1-2 hours.

I'm concerned about (i) the learning curve and complexity of the game, (ii) the time it will take to play 2p (anything more than 2 hours means that it would become a "special occasion" game, something we could only play once or twice a year), and (iii) whether or not it's actually any good at 2.

So, can anyone here comment on the 2p experience? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) FCM it's "easy to learn, hard to master". The more games you'll have, the better you'll be at playing. So on that matter you won't be in the situation in which one of you is (way) better than the other, you'll learn together at the same pace.

2) The first games maybe somewhat longer, my first 2p game lasted around 2,5 hours, once you get to learn all the personnel/milestones cards you'll be able to concentrate on the game itself, it should decrease the length. However, it can happen the contrary: with more experience, there could be some higher level thinking involved, so the games may be somewhat longer. I guess it's more a personal thing, and how much time you give yourself to think about moves.

3) It's very good, TGZ good I'd say (that means: it's very fun and interesting to play in 2).

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Avers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Food Chain Magnate is the first splotter game for us. We were essentially in the same boat as you, but decided to buy the game at Spiel anyway since budget allowed us to take a chance. So hopefully I can answer your questions:

(i): If you are used to playing heavy games, FCM is very much manageable in both the learning curve and complexity. We found that the game requires a bit of a change in thinking, but that is a possitive for us as it provides a different experience from other games. Which was one of the things we hoped it would provide.

(ii) Due to how FCM manages the game length, it is possible to somewhat create a shorter, but still full, game if needed. But even on 'the longest setting' (most money in the bank for the second phase), we found that it can be played in 2 hours after we were familiar with the game. Just don't discount the wares you are selling to the $1 or $2 dollar range

(iii) Disclaimer first: we've played FCM only as a 2 player game, so I have no experience to compare it with the other player counts. That said, we enjoy it very much. Though be prepared that if you want to play the game at your best, it is a very competitive and somewhat mean game. Which I think is only increased in the 2 player experience.

Hopefully the above is of some help. Food Chain Magnate is a truly unique game, which we found a breath of fresh air. Though it cannot be compared to any other, and we can imagine that it is not a game for everyone. I hope more people will weigh in and provide their opinion to help you out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with the above. The biggest yellow flag I see is the cutthroat nature of the game. If you as a couple are good with that, then FCM should be fine. I might suggest Roads&Boats as a solid 2p splotter where aggression is optional. Antiquity works as well for this. R&B strikes me as more 'coupley' for reasons I can't directly explain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Magini
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played four times 2 players games and it didn't take that much time... I'd say around two hours.

It's my first SS and to me it's a flawless 2p game. It's not fiddly ruleswise BUT it's really hard to master because you have to consider a lot of things; your hand of cards, your opponent moves, the conformation of the map/streets, the salaries, etc.

I loved it, it has a lot of complexity but you really feel the growing of your fast food chain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martins Livens
Latvia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Agree with the above. The biggest yellow flag I see is the cutthroat nature of the game. If you as a couple are good with that, then FCM should be fine. I might suggest Roads&Boats as a solid 2p splotter where aggression is optional. Antiquity works as well for this. R&B strikes me as more 'coupley' for reasons I can't directly explain.

Antiquity strikes me as best 2 player from Splotter, that said I have played a bunch of 2 player Roads and boats. Unfortunately I have no opinion about FCM yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, after a long delay waiting for the OLGS to restock, I decided to take the chance on FCM. I'm a little worried about being totally lost when I play it (for example, I'm scared of bankrupting myself and just ruining my whole operation based on some early mistakes), but there's lots of great strategy tips in this forum. I'll do lots of homework before our first game.

With that in mind, I own my first Splotter! Lets see what the fuss is all about
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.