Subject: Rank the Language Consequences (Spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Okay, strategists, time to argue this out: Which innovation do you want most at the start of the game? Vote below, then explain your choice.

Poll
Which language consequence innovation would you choose before any other?
Ammonia
Drums
Hovel
Inner Lantern
Paint
Symposium
      88 answers
Poll created by emmit svenson

For those of you who really want to break it down: How would you pick from the fifteen possible first draws?

Poll
1. Would you choose:
Ammonia?
or Drums?
2. Would you choose:
Ammonia?
or Hovel?
3. Would you choose:
Ammonia?
or Inner Lantern?
4. Would you choose:
Ammonia?
or Paint?
5. Would you choose:
Ammonia?
or Symposium?
6. Would you choose:
Drums?
or Hovel?
7. Would you choose:
Drums?
or Inner Lantern?
8. Would you choose:
Drums?
or Paint?
9. Would you choose:
Drums?
or Symposium?
10. Would you choose:
Hovel?
or Inner Lantern?
11. Would you choose:
Hovel?
or Paint?
12. Would you choose:
Hovel?
or Symposium?
13. Would you choose:
Inner Lantern?
or Paint?
14. Would you choose:
Inner Lantern?
or Symposium?
15. Would you choose:
Paint?
or Symposium?
      70 answers
Poll created by emmit svenson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
mbmbmbmbmb
Inner Lantern or Paint…

Paint lets you Dash… Beautiful for keeping the squishies alive.

Inner Lantern lets you Surge… Beautiful for plucking the Harp again (dammit, a 2!), or taking a major advantage of knocking down the enemy.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Ammonia - I gunned for this and got it, only to have a 3+ Understanding survivor come across Lion marked territory the very next Hunt - Ouch. Had no idea that was in there… Next time. It also takes a decent amount resources to even get Leather Maker & Leather churning out.

Just my .02

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I voted Hovel. Not only do you get the amazing double benefit of +1 Survival Limit and +1 Survival to departing survivors, it adds the very strong Family innovation to your deck, which itself leads to the mighty Clan of Death innovation. Furthermore, Hovel allows your settlement to birth Saviors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Brett,

In my second game, I decided to skip innovating Ammonia because I figured I could get it on a Lion hunt--1 in 4 chance on each Level 1 lion hunt, right? But I hunted thirteen freaking lions and it never popped up. Know what finally killed my settlement? Plague. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think Symposium is pretty awesome, but I haven't seen it once out of two separate campaigns… luck of the draw…

You make some great points about Hovel, however! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emmit svenson wrote:
Brett,

In my second game, I decided to skip innovating Ammonia because I figured I could get it on a Lion hunt--1 in 4 chance on each Level 1 lion hunt, right? But I hunted thirteen freaking lions and it never popped up. Know what finally killed my settlement? Plague. shake

My condolences… I got lucky with it. But it took 4 more LY before we got the Leather Maker built and made our first bit of Leather gear (including a Sickle). Stupid TPKS. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
A choice between Inner Lantern or Paint would be the toughest for me. Surge and Dash are both fantastic. Both have great consequences (Shrine for Inner Lantern, Pictographs for Paint). I think Inner Lantern clutters up the innovation deck more--Scarification and Sacrifice are pretty corner case--but I'd probably choose it anyway, 'cause Surge is a little more flexible of an ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emmit svenson wrote:
A choice between Inner Lantern or Paint would be the toughest for me. Surge and Dash are both fantastic. Both have great consequences (Shrine for Inner Lantern, Pictographs for Paint). I think Inner Lantern clutters up the innovation deck more--Scarification and Sacrifice are pretty corner case--but I'd probably choose it anyway, 'cause Surge is a little more flexible of an ability.

Did that on my solo campaign, and wished I'd gone with Paint during the very next Showdown… However, Surge has seen some killer applications. I think they both add 3 consequences to the deck (I know Paint adds 3)…. but, I've already got Scrap Smelting, Ovens, Ammonia at this point. LY06 (still out to Hunt).
I've got a lot of the heavy upgrade tech tree type stuff, but only just now churning out the res. to get society caught up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Symposium all the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aw, dang. Our very first draw had Symposium and we went with the other one (Hovel, I think).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bob
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Choosing Symposium doubles your chances of drawing any of the others next year, seems like a no-brainer first pick to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
msg tools
mbmb
Hovel and ammonia are my favourite. This run through I got symposium first with ammonia. Took symposium and then waited 6 years to get ammonia and another 4 for hovel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Symposium is the obvious choice as your first pick. The innovation deck grows larger with every pick you make, lessening the chances of getting other critical innovations the longer time goes on.

+Survival Limit is nice, and +Survival Depart is nice, but drawing 4 cards on innovations just broadens the options pool.

Second choice would always -Always- be ammonia. Its needed to make any leather gear: Period. Leather is much better than rawhide, increasing survivability of your people. You also need ammonia for...other, nastier things.

Hovel and Inner lantern are choice number 3. Birthing saviors is nice. Inner Lantern is...well, spoilers.

Paint and Drums come last. Paint chosen before any add-on innovations, Drums only if I'm not keen on the other option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.