Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking it'd be interesting to overlay a hex grid on sat maps of your own neighborhood. The scale is a bit diff and everything is a lot more dense, but I think it would be doable and fun.

I might need to increase the hex size and rule that the terrain type is the feature in the hex that describes the hex, even if the feature is not the majority of the hex, like a farm house in the corner of a hex that is mostly fields.

Here's a suburban map that includes my house:

And a rural map a little to the west:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Teixeira
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Would work really well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea!!
May I ask where the hexgrid is from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just googled hex grid overlay. This is the first one that came up. If I was going to print it I would look harder for a better one with center dots and numbering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
Country side area north of Rome
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a feder-allergic and I blame the Klingon for not having smashed the Federation in time to save us from Star Trek serials.
mbmbmbmbmb
joshaubry wrote:
I just googled hex grid overlay. This is the first one that came up. If I was going to print it I would look harder for a better one with center dots and numbering.

But I think you would have used one with the hexes turned of 90°, as I made in my Flat Top and I'm doing with my MechWar '77, or you would have kept the hexes oriented in this way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you get the grid overlay on the google snapshot? This may motivate me to buy the new game and/or even the miniature game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
Country side area north of Rome
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a feder-allergic and I blame the Klingon for not having smashed the Federation in time to save us from Star Trek serials.
mbmbmbmbmb
ctcharger wrote:
How do you get the grid overlay on the google snapshot? This may motivate me to buy the new game and/or even the miniature game.

I don't know how acted Josh of if there is a more modern way, my is an old one.
Once I've the back ground, in this case the satellite view, I open the back ground with Paint, then I import the hex-grid.
Once I've imported the grid I switch on the transparent option on, so I can see through the hex-grid.
At this point I can drag the grid in the position that I want. Once the hex-grid is where I want it I confirm the importation and save with a new name.
For MechWar '77 I'm working on a map centered on an airfield, so I first designed the airfield that I wished, then I positioned the hex-grid on it. Once I will have decided the position of the airfield inside the map I will over impose the hex-grid with the hex identification digits in the SPI system. If it was an Avalon Hill game I would have used the hex grid with their hex identification system. I've areas of the Pacific where I could decide to use Flat Top or C.V., so I've blank hex-grids with the The Avalon Hill Game Co and the Yaquinto identification systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSheeper wrote:
joshaubry wrote:

But I think you would have used one with the hexes turned of 90°, as I made in my Flat Top and I'm doing with my MechWar '77, or you would have kept the hexes oriented in this way?

I didnt do anything with the image, I just googled it and took the first transparent one that was big enough. I think this is the one I used: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7ddmFBemMJY/UZy726LC2LI/AAAAAAAAC7... .. this was just meant to be a quick proof of concept. If I was going to print it out for actual use, I'd take more time and find a nicer overlay or make one.

The all I did was take a screen capture of the sat map (using Snagit, but both Win & Mac also have built-in ways of taking basic screen captures). Open up your fav image editor and drop the hex map on top of the sat map, position, crop, and save.

I used the Sangit image editor for this, but mainly out of convenience--the screen capture was already there. On Win, you can get the free paint.net app to do this (or maybe mspaint will work?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a GREAT shout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.