Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephane Martin
Belgium
Mont Sur Marchienne
Hainaut
flag msg tools
mb
-In this game, there is no possibilty to reproduce the surprise attack of Port Arthur during the early hours of the war. This attack with torpedoes boats was not very succesfull (during this period, the poential of the torpedo boats was overrated until this attack...) However, if my memory is OK, two russian battleships and one cruiser were damaged by torpedoes during this surprise attack. I thing the game should include a "preliminary turn" with the possibility to attack one or some russian ports (and the ships in these ports...) with light units before the start of the turn one... I thing if we don't include this initial surprise attack, it is like not include the attack on Pearl Harbour in a WWII Strategic Pacific War wargame...

-I have noticed there is a difference between the verso of a single ship counter (a flag on the verso) and the verso of a Division or Squadron counter (no flag). In the Grand Fleet Game, there is no such difference ...) It is why the "fog of war" will be probably a little bit different (except, if, like me, we use rdoxx wooden stands who hide the two faces of a counter to the opponent ...).

-Except by the gain or loss of some victory points, it seems there is almost no link between the naval operations results and the "land" operations. eg: Poor results at sea for the IJN should slow the advance of Japanese ground forces and the control of some ports...(this is not included in this game even with the 11.0 Slow Land Campaign optional rule)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen newberg
Canada
ladysmith
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Yes. As noted in another answer, the idea of the WAR AT SEA family is to keep things simple. Hence no, there is no separate torpedo attack type resolutions. Instead the results of such are cooked into the other combat systems.

Yes, there are some graphic differences between this game and GRAND FLEET. Different artists look at things differently and as a result come up with divergent results. In this case it can have a slight effect on fog of war, but nothing that I would consider significant.

And a final Yes : this is very much just a naval game and it assumes operations happening on the land happen at a prescribed rate, however, I somewhat doubt that events at sea would have had a significant effect on the land campaign unless there was a total Japanese collapse at sea, which is very close to impossible, so there was not optional rule created to reflect this. However, if you want such a rule, please, create one, test it to see what you have, and if you like the results, go ahead an post it here so others can try it also if they so desire. I always like to see the players coming up with more things for the game.

smn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Martin
Belgium
Mont Sur Marchienne
Hainaut
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for the answers and thank you to offer us these games who use and renew the "War at Sea " system ... I thing this system could be OK for other naval strategic situations even "pre-20 th century" or alternate history (eg: a "War Plan Orange" context ?)

If i have time i'll, may be, try some optional rules about my suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen newberg
Canada
ladysmith
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You are most welcome, and thank you for the kind words.

It does occur to me to explain a bit more on your second note. Independent units are much less powerful in this game, compared to in GRAND FLEET. As a result, it did not seem fair, from a fog of war standpoint, to let them be used to sow as much confusion as in GRAND FLEET. Hence you should be able to tell when only an independent unit is covering an area rather than a larger formation. This is why Brien did the backs with that differentiation. How he did it, of course, is totally his thing. I gave up even pretending to have any art ability a long time ago now.

smn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.