Hide
18 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » General

Subject: Bases you hate rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Lariviere
msg tools
Is there any base in the game you hate so much that you remove it (Or would remove it if you could)?

I thus far have not done so but i have not come to any base i hate enough to remove yet And i would still give a base an extra chance before removing it from my base deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I play with all of the bases. The only ones I dislike are the boring ones, including ones with post-scoring effects that come out towards the end of the game. I'm thrilled by the novelty ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lariviere
msg tools
really, why would mushroom kingdom be that annoying?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on the situation, Birthday Party can be really annoying. (Leprechaun anyone ??)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Roy
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninja Dojo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lariviere
msg tools
SmashedUp718 wrote:
Ninja Dojo!

Fair, but at the same time it is the only known way to kill Elder Thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Watson
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dislike any base that involves gaining VPs for reasons other than scoring the base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel F
msg tools
valknut79 wrote:
I dislike any base that involves gaining VPs for reasons other than scoring the base.

Yeah, Field of Honor can basically decide a 2-player game if only one player can destroy things...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Matteo
msg tools
mbmb
My least favorite bases (or at least the ones my group & I would consider skipping):

Birthday Party - Brings the game to a screeching halt, and really makes the game feel one-sided to decks that can't destroy compared to others (at least Cave of Shinies has a nice payout & Field of Honor breaks early)

Golem Schloss - With a breakpoint of 22 and payout of 3/3/2, and a scoring effects that only benefits the winners minions ELSEWHERE? The base feels like it was made for 2nd place. If you're not playing a deck that swarms minions, you really can't take full advantage of it's ability. Several decks (Princesses, Ninjas, Cultists, Vampires, etc) can't take advantage of it's ability so it's usually left to rot.

The Nexus - Awesome in theory, kind of a mess in practice. Any base that has the same payout for 1st & 2nd place really needs to have an awesome reward for winner. Otherwise it's really not worth going too. If the game opens up with this base, or if it's one of the last revealed, you can't take advantage of it's ability. So it's usually either ignored early on, or lets whoever is winning take the game just by lameing it & getting 2nd.

Crypt - Good luck getting other players to play minions here to take advantage of its ability. You have to destroy ANOTHER players minion THERE, AND give a power counter to one of your minions THERE too. If you're not playing Bear Calvary, no one is going to go for that base. At least for Castle Blood you can start the momentum swing by playing small minions there & it breaks at a below-average 18.

Honorable mentions: Temple of Goju, Tsars Palace. They're each equally annoying, but have much more situations where they can be taken advantage of/interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Galeziewski
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm surprised no one as mentioned the Ice Castle. If no one has minion movement abilities that base is basically moot. Another one is the mountains of madness but since it has such high payout and an average breakpoint i would say it is worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Matteo
msg tools
mbmb
MadFuhrer wrote:
I'm surprised no one as mentioned the Ice Castle. If no one has minion movement abilities that base is basically moot. Another one is the mountains of madness but since it has such high payout and an average breakpoint i would say it is worth it.

I actually think Ice Castle is pretty funny. Even if there's only 1 player who can take advantage of it in a game, they have to weigh the risk/reward of stockpiling all of their minions where no one else is playing. This could cause them to lose out on VP from other bases breaking, and if you're against decks with removal (Aliens, Ninjas, Cats, etc.), the halt in momentum can be devastating. It also has a breakpoint that's just low enough where it's not completely free but still worth the payout. It's not one of my favorite bases, but it definitely is up there.

Mountains of Madness is actually one of my favorite bases in the entire game. The breakpoint of 20 is fair, but it's the intensity of the risk/reward that makes me love it. With an insane payout of 6/4/3, it's hard to resist the urge to play minions there despite the Madness you may get in the process. It's also a pretty good counterpick to the "high tier" factions; Since you draw 1 Madness for EACH minion played there, a deck with smaller power plays OR movement (ex: Dinosaurs, Ghosts, Scientists, Pirates, Princesses, etc.) can really take advantage of it. It's definitely in my Top 5 favorite bases in the entire game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lariviere
msg tools
CNightmare072 wrote:
MadFuhrer wrote:

I actually think Ice Castle is pretty funny. Even if there's only 1 player who can take advantage of it in a game, they have to weigh the risk/reward of stockpiling all of their minions where no one else is playing. This could cause them to lose out on VP from other bases breaking, and if you're against decks with removal (Aliens, Ninjas, Cats, etc.), the halt in momentum can be devastating. It also has a breakpoint that's just low enough where it's not completely free but still worth the payout. It's not one of my favorite bases, but it definitely is up there.

Mountains of Madness is actually one of my favorite bases in the entire game. The breakpoint of 20 is fair, but it's the intensity of the risk/reward that makes me love it. With an insane payout of 6/4/3, it's hard to resist the urge to play minions there despite the Madness you may get in the process. It's also a pretty good counterpick to the "high tier" factions; Since you draw 1 Madness for EACH minion played there, a deck with smaller power plays OR movement (ex: Dinosaurs, Ghosts, Scientists, Pirates, Princesses, etc.) can really take advantage of it. It's definitely in my Top 5 favorite bases in the entire game.
how can mountains of madness be good for low power plays?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Matteo
msg tools
mbmb
Gashnaw wrote:
CNightmare072 wrote:
MadFuhrer wrote:

how can mountains of madness be good for low power plays?

Playing King Rex + Augmentation OR 2 Buccaneers + Dinghy would be a much more optimal way to add power to that base compared to Tenacious Z + Zombie Lord + They Keep Coming OR Microbot Fixer + Hoverbot + Warbot + Zapbot.

The slower factions with power plays are able to place the same amounts of power, but with much less Madness

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lariviere
msg tools
isn't king rex a high power play?
Lower power would be the robos as they are pretty much 1 or 2 power each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Matteo
msg tools
mbmb
Because for the same amount of power on a base, the Dinosaur players drew 1 Madness & the Robot/Zombie players draw 5. THAT's what I meant when I said it's an interesting "counterpick" base haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Jones, yo
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I get so stressed out by The Central Brain, they should call it the Central Ulcer. It snaps after around 4 minions are played and first place gets a two point(!!) VP lead. 2 players can easily sweep it up before anyone else even makes a move. For some reason no one else in my group treats the Brain as the calamity it truly represents. Psychos.

Also, a gripe: WHY. IN THE DICKENS. Were Plateau of Leng and Innsmouth seemingly switched at birth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Matteo
msg tools
mbmb
Buddy_Funky wrote:

Also, a gripe: WHY. IN THE DICKENS. Were Plateau of Leng and Innsmouth seemingly switched at birth?

I... I don't know? I never realized it until just now :o

Also, yeah Central Brain is definitely annoying, as it usually breaks in one-go around the table. But just because it has a very strong draw doesn't mean I hate seeing it show up haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.