Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Sword & Sorcery» Forums » Rules

Subject: Beta Release Rulebook 1.0 - Improvements / Clarifications / Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joltin' Joe
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After having made it through the Beta Rulebook 1.0, and having watched both Rahdo's and Ricky Royal's videos, I thought of a couple questions about the rules I have, so I made this thread to post them in.

I invite others to do the same, so that the designers can have some feedback and respond to questions here when they have some spare moments.

So here goes.

(1) KO'ed enemies:
Page 51 of the rulebook talks about KO'ed enemies. Do KO'ed enemies count as engaged in combat? One of the encounter cards calls for the activation of "all engaged enemies." The rules define that a hero is engaged when he is on the same area as an enemy, but they don't define what an engaged enemy is. I assume it would be an enemy on the same space as a hero. But it's not clear about KO'ed ones. Knocked out seems to suggest that you can't do anything but stand up, but that is supposed to happen when the enemy is next activated. If a KO'ed enemy still counts as engaged, then this encounter card would activate and remove the KO. If not, then it wouldn't activate. Ricky played it as a non-activation. The rules do say that a KO'ed enemy doesn't count for controlling/dominating the area, so perhaps they also do not count as engaged in combat at all, either, but I think this should be mentioned specifically.
Similary, does a KO'ed enemy get a reaction attack if the hero tries to leave the area? Probably not, but these clarifications should be slipped into page 51 where the rest of the KO'ed enemy info goes.

(2)Special powers on the Enemy scroll cards
On pg. 42, the rules say "Unlike heroes, enemies do not have activation activities. Their powers are triggered every time possible, based on the power's description."
The green human bandit scroll has a power that says "healing potion: If wounded, heal self for 2 hp." However, none of the lines of AI on his scroll card mentions the healing potion. From the rules, it would seem that the bandit is supposed to use this potion every time it activates and is wounded. This is the way Rahdo understood it. However, this power also has the yellow "action" icon next to it on the scroll card. The rules say that the powers with this symbol are "special powers activated by some AI conditions each time the icon appears on Encounter cards or powers from other enemies."

That would seem to suggest that the green bandit does not get to heal himself every time he is wounded, but rather when other cards allow him to.

This makes sense if you look at the red bandit scroll card, which has a power called "High Command" which says to activate the action powers of all other enemies within 1 area. The first AI line of the red bandit's scroll says to use High Command, and it would activate the healing power of a green bandit in range.

Moreover, if we look at the blue bandit's scroll card, he also has the healing potion power, written exactly as it appears on the green bandit's scroll, but the first line of the blue AI specifically says "Use healing potion." If the potion were a power that is "triggered every time possible" then why would it need to be written into any of the AI lines? It looks to me as though the blue bandit only gets to heal when that AI line triggers, just as the red bandit only uses High Command when that AI line triggers. But then the green bandit would not get to heal at all, unless some other card like the red bandit made him do so, because none of his AI lines mentions the healing potion.

So, I am not sure exactly when to use the powers and when not. Using them when the AI lines directly says to do so is clear enough, but the green bandit's scroll card isn't. The text of the power says "if wounded" which is a clear trigger, and the rules do say that the powers trigger whenever possible, based on the power's description.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Olsén
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding number 2:

Looking at the Green Raider (tabletopia version) he will never use his healing potion when "activating". BUT there are several Encounter cards that will allow him to use his healing potion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Question:

On red dice in S&S there is one result with Dragons/Snakes forming a "W". What does this result mean if thrown in Combat? Simply nothing if you have no Item that uses this symbol?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes,
it is used by some weapons, especially the Soul Weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simone Romano wrote:
Yes,
it is used by some weapons, especially the Soul Weapons.

I think there should be also an example of an item using the S&S symbol in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joltin' Joe
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So when does the green bandit heal? Only when the encounter card or another enemy says to? Or every time he is wounded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GI Joe wrote:
So when does the green bandit heal? Only when the encounter card or another enemy says to? Or every time he is wounded?

Hello,

The green Raider is pretty weak, he can heal himself only with the right encounter cards or when he receives orders from the Elite Raider (the red one).

The blue one is a completely different story devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding enemies:

On page 51 it says in 8.7.3.1

"When any non-champion Green or Blue rank enemy kills its first hero
or companion, it becomes an ENEMY CHAMPION
It immediately gains a random enemy power.
The level of the power is based on the Quest ACT.
When it dies, the gained power is discarded normally."

At first I understood the passage it becomes an ENEMY CHAMPION like the enemy gets promoted to the next higher strength color. I recommend clarifying this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just be sure I get the meaning right:

7.11.1 FIGHTING STYLE COMPATIBILITY

so no character which only has the dexterity style can use studded armor, basically "anyone but single dexterity characters"?

it just looks a bit strange, because in the tabletopia demo this would mean neither laegon nor shae could equip it - which both scream leather wearer.
their only option would be the arcane robe, which looks even more strange. or maybe I'm still thinking to much in mmo terms...

nevermind, I'm blind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
legray wrote:
just be sure I get the meaning right:

Quote:
7.11.1 FIGHTING STYLE COMPATIBILITY

last example:
These runes indicates a hero with only this fighting style cannot use this item.

so no character which only has the dexterity style can use studded armor, basically "anyone but single dexterity characters"?

In my download of the rules the studded leather armour has a crossed out Magic symbol. This seems to not match what you see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terah wrote:

In my download of the rules the studded leather armour has a crossed out Magic symbol. This seems to not match what you see.

you're right. <_<

in the demo last night the basic outline looked like the dexterity symbol with the crossed out symbol. tired eyes I guess...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Brunet
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the most unclear part in the rulebook is the one about LoS (p. 11).
More specifically, it is about the way enemy figures block LoS for the heroes.
The rules (5.4) state that LoS exists "When it is possible to trace a straight line from the sight mark inside the source area to the sight mark of the destination area without crossing (...) enemy figures located in areas different from the target's area".
That seems to mean that an enemy blocks LoS to another enemy if its figure is located on the line between the sight marks of the source and destination areas.

It doesn't feel right, since it would mean that the actual position of a figure within an area would have a game effect, which would lead to a lot of decision making for the enemy figures which is not implied at all by the game rules.

In fact, in the example, on the same page, Laegon doesn't have LoS to the Red Orc Shaman, because of the intervening Green Gremlin. Yet, we can see that the gremlin doesn't stand on the line between their areas' sight marks.

So, does that mean that the LoS is block if it crosses an area with an enemy figure which is not the target ?
If that is so (and that seems to be the most logical and clearcut explanation for me), then the 5.4 paragraph wording should be changed to :
"When it is possible to trace a straight line from the sight mark inside the source area to the sight mark of the destination area without crossing (...) areas with enemy figures different from the target's own area."

What do you think ? Did I get it wrong ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right. It's about areas and not where models are within an area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Brunet
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answer. I really think it should be made clearer in the rule book, as it is an easy wording fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
we are working on it and on many other small things cool
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.