Popular Tags: [View All]
Victor The Geek
United States
Harrisburg area
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little late posting this session report, but been busy with a new job.

Got a chance to bring Francis Drake to the table on Oct 16th during my usual game night (1st, 3rd, & 5th Fridays). There were a total of 5 players (including myself) consisting of 2 new players and 2 that have played once or twice.

My usual strategy is to get the trade goods right from the get go. That didn't happen this time since all of the other players scooped them up first. So I decided to go after the Spanish Galleons instead. It kinda worked out for me during the first round because all of the other players were skipping ahead to the "good" stuff and I was stopping at every spot I could to pick up the scraps. By the end of round 1 I was feeling fine; my score was right there with everyone else.

Going into round 2 I knew I'd have to get at least 1 trade good (TG) to make sure I wasn't completely shut out of the end game scoring. It just so happens that the randomized tiles leaned a little in my favor and I snagged 1 TG. As for the other goods, I picked up just enough to complete my #1 disc and #2 disc during the second half. I was planning on going back after disc #2 to ensure I got first dibs on the third round.

Going 1st in round 3 really paid off. I picked up the double TG, the Informer, and the Golden Hind! The Golden Hind ensured that I picked up the needed Indigo and denied it from one of the other players who needed it to complete his set (this player was one of the guys who played before). And since I had my 5th disc from the GH, I was still able to pickup a couple gems as well.

As the 3 rounds played out, I could tell I was sitting pretty good for final scoring. To build the suspense, I went around the table 1 by 1 getting their final scores (adding up all their gems). The second place player's score was 78. And for the win, mine was... 95!

Of course I had to stand up and say "I WIN! And I feel so good about myself beating 2 people who have never played before!"

I know it's hard to tell emotion via text, but that last line was sarcasm. I don't get ultimate joy out of beating new players. During the whole game I was helping them play. I make sure to NOT play the game for them, but give 'em enough advice so they know their options and what are good possible moves.

What did they new players think of the game? The girlfriend of the duo really liked it! The boyfriend enjoyed it as well, but losing to his g/f wasn't enjoyable laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like my group. Good report

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.