Robin Moss
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Wondering if anyone can help resolve this query/dispute that popped up in a game last night:

In a melee game, one player martialed a single copy of Varys, and triggered his ability in the dominance phase. 'Remove Varys from the game to discard every character in play'. So we set the Varys card aside, discarded all the characters or their duplicates.

The rule for remove from the game says that that card can no longer interract with the game state in any way.

A couple of turns later, the same player drew another copy of Varys, and wondered if they could martial him again. I argued yes as there was no Varys card in play on his board, no Varys in his dead pile, and the other Varys card was out of the game and had no bearing on the card in his hand. Enough other players (including the player with Varys) felt that as the ability named 'Varys' to be removed (rather than 'this card' or some such) that all copies were equally to be considered 'removed from the game' that we played that way. We left the second Varys in his hand as a dead draw, which I don't even feel was consistent with the ruling we followed.

Possible implications of the ruling as we followed it:

-If the wording referred to 'Varys' as the set of all cards with that title, then another player's untriggered Varys on the table would be removed as well, rather than discarded.
-Other players would be unable to martial their copy of Varys after one player's copy had triggered.
-If 'Varys' in general could have no further impact on the game state, another copy shouldn't be a dead draw but removed from the deck and another card drawn, surely? And the same for effects finding characters or types of cards in the deck, like Summons or The Tickler, etc.

I think the other players felt that Varys' ability should be a 'once per game only' effect which I can see the sense of, but I can't find any literal basis for that in the rules and the rules implications of that seem a bit wonky to me. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Varys 'Remove from game' question.
The first copy of Varys was removed from the game, but there's nothing stopping a player from playing another copy (and using his ability again).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the rule you need:

Self-Referential Text
When a card’s ability text refers to its own title, it is
referring to itself only, and not to other copies (by title)
of the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Moss
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Tarnop wrote:
Here's the rule you need:

Self-Referential Text
When a card’s ability text refers to its own title, it is
referring to itself only, and not to other copies (by title)
of the card.

Bingo! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Per the overall rules of the game (copies, in play/out of play, discarding, abilities, etc) your argument was the correct argument. Regardless, Paul's reply definitely provided the best ammunition you need to make your case. He hit the nail on the head.
But if you want more:

Varys' ability is an Interrupt ability. And remember that Interrupt abilities are always optional! (pg 2, Rules Reference)

So there's another reason that other copies of the Varys should NOT be removed from play... even if your friends were correct, being an optional ability means the rest of the card's text, strength, and icons are still valid. But this is a moot point as your friends weren't correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.