Subject: Family Business ~ Deranged Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deranged
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! Welcome to the review. Have a seat! Criticism is welcome - bitching isn't.

Having played the game only once a long time ago, it stuck enough to start the search for a copy of my own when I discovered BGG. Not too long ago, I found one, and just in time for the planned gameday!

I'll be giving grades on several aspects of the game, such as discussed here.
For ART, I look at the big picture, and how that picture looks. EASE covers ease of play and learning curve, FLEXIBILITY covers the amount of free will you have and is therefore linked to replayability. FUN might be deceptive, as it's a gut thang, but I'll try and specify in the text, and COMPONENTS should be self-explanatory.

The Game Itself: Gangster tit-for-tat
Running one of several mobs, you take out contracts on other player's mobsters. They might take offence and counter, and put your gangsters on the hitlist! Gangsters get shot down. Last mob standing wins.

ART
-I've got the lovely version pictured above, with the silhouettes and very clear card functions - but regrettably without unique gangster faces. I've played a different version with fitting mobster illustrations, yet I'm still glad with the version I have . The bulletholes in the box are brilliant.

EASE
-I'm running out of stars! The game is very easy - only the changes in turn sequence can be a bit weird for newbies. The handy card-sized insert with what can counter what is very welcome.

FLEXIBILITY
-It remains a cardgame, and as such there is not really all that much you can do differently between plays, besides picking your target. Holding on to certain cards until after the first round of shuffling is generally a smart move.

FUN
-You get to kill other people's gangsters! Take out contracts, mess with the order of the hitlist, counter contracts, snitch to the police, everything! It's really fast paced and you can annoy your opponents to no end.

COMPONENTS
-It's cards. They're good. The box with the RIPtray is sturdy enough, and overall I'd say the components are of good quality, for a cardgame.

Pro's
The cards have has real gangsters! Bonnie & Clyde, John Dillinger, Pretty Boy Floyd, Ma Barker (I usually play with The Bankrobbers, can you tell?), they're all here. The other mobs use real names as well - there's no Vito Gangsterini here.
It is really fun to play.
Most actions have a counter (which is fun to play), but some don't (which is fun when you play them).
The flavour of the "special cards", like "Vendetta" and "St. Valentine's Day Massacre" just works.
You can steal someone's turn.
A game takes about half an hour, which makes it ideal for the start of the gamenight when people are still entering.

Con's
Like all card games, there is a sizeable amount of luck involved.
You kill gangsters. Not all that kidfriendly, but I'm nitpicking here.

End result:
It's a really fast and fast-paced cardgame that has exactly enough depth to be entertaining. It has action and reaction, you can help other players a bit against the possible winner, and you can annoy others . It's been reprinted a few times, so there are a lot of copies floating around, but pay atention which version you get because some have cards others don't. If you can find it, give it a try . You won't be disappointed.

googoo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game worked great as a "beverage of a refreshing nature" game when I was in college.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is the version I have and I have had a blast everytime I have played it. Nice review of a more than solid game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shane dunlop
Australia
Perth W.A
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
fantastic game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deranged
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is!

And it looks much nicer than the reprint .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.