Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Defenders of the Realm: The Dragon Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Global Effect + Wizard's Wisdom skill rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D. Barrera
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Hello there,

I have searched and found several questions regarding Wizard + Global Effect cards but none match my question.

The following situation arose in our last game:

Example 1:
- It's the Wizard's turn.
- It's Early War. He draws a Darkness Spreads card at the Night Phase.
- It's a Global Effect card, he decides to keep it.
- The Global Effect card forces a new Darkness Spreads card to be drawn. Can the Wizard use his skill for the new card the Global Effect card makes you draw?

Example 2:
- It's the Wizard's turn.
- It's Early War. He draws a Darkness Spreads card at the Night Phase.
- It's a Global Effect card, he chooses to discard it and draw a new card.
- The new card is again a Global Effect card. He is forced to keep it and draw a new one (the Global Effect card dictates so).
- Can the Wizard choose to discard this new card if he doesn't like it?

In other words, does the Wizard's Wisdom skill apply to every Darkness Spreads card he draws when these are linked through Global Effect cards? Can he use his skill for all of them? Just for one of them? Or just for the first one of those linked cards?

Yeah I wish I had a question that doesn't look like a riddle .
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Barrera
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Thanks for your time but the FAQ you are quoting does not answer my question. My question is all about the Wizard's ability together with Global Effects Cards which were added in the Dragon Expansion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzo wrote:
Thanks for your time but the FAQ you are quoting does not answer my question. My question is all about the Wizard's ability together with Global Effects Cards which were added in the Dragon Expansion.

Sorry, quoted from the wrong FAQ (I'm removing that post to avoid confusion). There's also an FAQ for the Dragon expansion, and here's what it says:

Dragon Expansion FAQ v1.2 wrote:
Wizard:
Can the Wizard use his Wisdom ability to ignore a drawn Global Effects card and draw another card?


Yes - The Wizard's Wisdom skill enables him to treat Global Effects like any other Darkness Spreads card (remember – he can use this skill on his turn only) therefore, regardless of the Global Effect (Bad or Good) he can discard it and draw a replacement Darkness Spreads Card. The new card drawn must be played, even if another Global Effect as the initial Global Effect never occurred.

(I recommend that you download all the FAQs for the expansions you use; for example there's one for the Heroes Expansions as well. You can find them in the Files sections for the relevant folders.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Barrera
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
skyzo wrote:
Thanks for your time but the FAQ you are quoting does not answer my question. My question is all about the Wizard's ability together with Global Effects Cards which were added in the Dragon Expansion.

Sorry, quoted from the wrong FAQ (I'm removing that post to avoid confusion). There's also an FAQ for the Dragon expansion, and here's what it says:

Dragon Expansion FAQ v1.2 wrote:
Wizard:
Can the Wizard use his Wisdom ability to ignore a drawn Global Effects card and draw another card?


Yes - The Wizard's Wisdom skill enables him to treat Global Effects like any other Darkness Spreads card (remember – he can use this skill on his turn only) therefore, regardless of the Global Effect (Bad or Good) he can discard it and draw a replacement Darkness Spreads Card. The new card drawn must be played, even if another Global Effect as the initial Global Effect never occurred.

(I recommend that you download all the FAQs for the expansions you use; for example there's one for the Heroes Expansions as well. You can find them in the Files sections for the relevant folders.)


Thanks but that still doesn't answer my question.

My question is: If he accepts the Global Effect card (which makes you draw a new one) can he then decide whether he keeps or discards this new card, in which case he would draw another one to replace it and must keep it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My question is: If he accepts the Global Effect card (which makes you draw a new one) can he then decide whether he keeps or discards this new card, in which case he would draw another one to replace it and must keep it.

Yes, he can keep or discard each new Darkness Spreads card he draws. Since he is keeping the Global Effectm he must draw a new card. When whe draws this new card, he may keep or discard it. If he discards the card drawn as required by the Global Effect statement, he must then draw and keep the next card.

Hope this clarifies the issue you are seeking guidance on.

Richard
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzo wrote:
Thanks but that still doesn't answer my question.

I'm sorry once again - it seemed to answer it to me. I hope Richard's answer works for you. To me it seems to be re-stating what was said in the FAQ.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Barrera
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Richard Launius wrote:

Yes, he can keep or discard each new Darkness Spreads card he draws. Since he is keeping the Global Effectm he must draw a new card. When whe draws this new card, he may keep or discard it. If he discards the card drawn as required by the Global Effect statement, he must then draw and keep the next card.

Hope this clarifies the issue you are seeking guidance on.

Richard


Thanks to both!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.