Subject: Advice/suggestions on painting metals in KD style! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivy Harriet
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I'm very new to miniatures painting in general and have been having a go at some survivors as practise. I've been having a few problems but stumbling through - here's my first nearly-finished one:

but I'm now painting up a metal sword and I'm not sure how to go about doing metals. I don't really want to use the metallic citadel paints I have because they look a little glittery and don't seem thematic to me, does anyone have suggestions of not-too-advanced methods of doing metal that might fit? I've thought about doing really dark grey and edge-highlighting a bit, but unsure..

Any other advice or pointers based on my picture would be very welcome too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Critical Bill
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I'm learning to paint also. I highly suggest checking out Jay's painting 101 series on Youtube. Just search for miniature painting 101 and it will pull up.

There's a ton of good videos on painting but his breaks down everything in each video. Paint wood, paint flesh, paint stone, vids for each.

Find one for Non-Metallic Metals where he paints metals with standard colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Non-metallic metal is a good technique, but it is also pretty advanced and hard to do.

What you can do is put on the bright silver then add a few layers of brown/black wash to dull the shininess and make it look old/worn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
That’s fantastic Ivy.

I’m really pleased you remembered to put the ink on her eyes as a founding survivor. Nice grubby feet too.

You can have blackened steel which is done through oils, applying soot or oxidising metals onto the surface. This was done to improve corrosion resistance and stop it reflecting light and giving you away. A black lantern finish.

You can have blue steel which uses acids and alkalis to turn the steel blue or black, again to prevent rust. If you add chrome you can have an iridescent finish which changes from pale blue through purple to yellow. A blade like a rainbow.

You can have rusty steel typical of the decay and death around you.

Coat it entirely in blood.

Use copper or bronze.

Make it from Obsidian or Jade instead or the minerals found in the Ore patches.

As far as painting find a grey or black you like and keep applying gloss varnish over the top. A couple of coats of that should be nice and reflective.

Experiment on the sprues and not on the models

Please show us your results.

Phoenix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two really simple techniques.

1. Black base coat and dry brush on the metal.
2. Use a black wash.

Or you can even combine those things. Simple, easy, works well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivy Harriet
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Thank you for the advice everyone! lots of things to try. I hadnt thought of using the sprues to try things out, I'll do that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.