9 Posts

504» Forums » General

Subject: Theme, design? Too abstract? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B B
msg tools
mbmbmb
The concept of 504 is really tempting, and I enjoy games from the full spectrum (from ameritrash to euro, I like TI3 and Agricola and Settlers), but I get the feeling the cut and paste design/theme of 504 seems too abstract and at the same time not abstract enough to be a proper abstract game. I am realizing I do like some nice theme. It is true that Ticket to Ride is my limit on abstractness (because the fundamental logic seems a bit too absurd to me, unlike Settlers, especially because of the importance of the longest road).

Can some comment on this? Did you have the same fears and try nevertheless? What is your opinion? Is this just not for me? Seems a shame to miss it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I genuinely feel like a mad scientist experimenting with hapless beings for my own entertainment when I play this, which is bang on. YMMV
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hyland

Waterville
Maine
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The concept is cool. After watching Game Night play it, I just kept thinking that you could play 504 ok games, or just play 504 other single games which are better. Everything is pretty generic too in it's design which is out of necessity but it just makes things seem more bland and generic.

I still might pick it up because it is so innovative but playing it might be more like trying to read literature which you don't do for pure entertainment purposes but is still a worthwhile experience.

I am curious as to how the game will stand up after the initial wave of I got a copy and I'm excited stuff wears off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What makes this game interesting and worth owning is the meta experimentation with modules.

Let's take the combination of modules 378 (privileges/production/majorities)

Play it as 378
Then play it as 387
Then 738
Then 783
Then 837
Then 873

Reflect on each permutation. This is what makes it an interesting game, and where the mad scientist flavour comes in.

How about another experiment. Exploration and racing go together pretty well. Let's put them in slots 1 and 2, then cycle through all 7 other modules in slot 3. How does this alter the game.

This is what makes the game special and worth owning. Some of those 13 games I've just suggested might be total dreck. The meta experiment remains interesting throughout though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Anderson
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really think that people are paying too much attention to the number 504. Yes it is impressive but it is not he cool part of the game, it isn't what makes the game interesting or worthwhile. The ability to choose a game that suits your group is what makes this game great.mit is anabashedly a euro, it is light on theme but not more than Kingdom builder, settlers or Carcassonne. If you want an ameritrash game you will need to look elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Macrawn wrote:
The concept is cool. After watching Game Night play it, I just kept thinking that you could play 504 ok games, or just play 504 other single games which are better.

There is the unspoken issue of rule-learning economy to factor into such decisions. Would you rather learn a complete new set of game rules every time you play each new single game, or learn 9 rule modules and thereby know all you need to know to play each new single game, analogous to how once you have learned all the Kingdom Builder boards and goals you can immediately start playing a new random setup of Kingdom Builder without having to waste a lot of time learning a complete set of new game rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Phipps
United States
Canal Winchester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
russ wrote:
Macrawn wrote:
The concept is cool. After watching Game Night play it, I just kept thinking that you could play 504 ok games, or just play 504 other single games which are better.

There is the unspoken issue of rule-learning economy to factor into such decisions. Would you rather learn a complete new set of game rules every time you play each new single game, or learn 9 rule modules and thereby know all you need to know to play each new single game, analogous to how once you have learned all the Kingdom Builder boards and goals you can immediately start playing a new random setup of Kingdom Builder without having to waste a lot of time learning a complete set of new game rules?

I pre-ordered the game and am really wanting to play it. I believe it is an interesting concept to try, but the depth and variety of rules are starting to concern me just a little. I'm not sure I can convince my gaming group to take this "journey" with me. I can see where I might have some challenges in providing my group the same components of 504 each time but present a different set of rules for each play. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

Maybe this isn't really a game, but a great psychology experiment by
Friedemann. arrrh <sarcasm>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it 3 times now with 3 different setups. Every game will require you to "compile the game from source" as I've taken to describing it. You'll need a group that is prepared to sit through a disjointed explanation and help to communally set up the game based on setup rules in 3 separate places. Should be plain sailing after that though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B
msg tools
mbmbmb
Macrawn wrote:
The concept is cool. After watching Game Night play it, I just kept thinking that you could play 504 ok games, or just play 504 other single games which are better. Everything is pretty generic too in it's design which is out of necessity but it just makes things seem more bland and generic.

Spot on. This is my fear.
Macrawn wrote:
I am curious as to how the game will stand up after the initial wave of I got a copy and I'm excited stuff wears off.

Give us your feedback, seems like it would be interesting.

DAAAN wrote:
What makes this game interesting and worth owning is the meta experimentation with modules.

Let's take the combination of modules 378 (privileges/production/majorities)

Play it as 378
Then play it as 387
Then 738
(...)

That would have been great 10 years ago for me, but now I need to make each gaming session count. Goes towards saying maybe not for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.