Hide
10 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Character sheets or tokens? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcus
msg tools
This seem like a fairly token/card/marker heavy game and while i usually dont have much issue with this, ive seen a few very nice character sheets around that seem to remove alot of them and making the game alot less fiddly.

Any thoughts and comments, how do you play brimstone?
Does sheets remove some of te fun token handling or does it in fact make a better more rpg like experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Miller

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use both. For Campaign play, obviously character sheets make the most sense for keeping track of upgrades/purchases/etc. between sessions, but I still give out stuff like Grit, sidebag tokens, Faith counters for the Preacher, basically anything that gets used up during missions. One, it eliminates a lot of erasing/re-writing during play, and two, I find its just easier and feels more natural to have a physical representation sitting in front of you to keep you from constantly scanning through your character sheet to see if you still have a stick of Dynamite you can throw, or a Grit you can use (also helps to keep from forgetting Grit uses/gains, since you have to actually hand over or be given a token).

The sheets that my group uses mostly eliminates the need for a majority of the cards characters use, and we use a separate record sheet to keep track of XP and gold gained during missions. My group uses these:

[filepage=https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/111081/all-you-need-play-...][/filepage]

Theres plenty of character sheets out there, I just prefer these because the look and feel more like classic RPG sheets, and are organised a little cleaner than some of the others, imo.

The XP/gold sheet we use:

[filepage=https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/116570/session-tracker-xp...][/filepage]

Simple, effective, and saves a lot more time during gameplay than you might think. Basically just tick off the boxes as you play, and add stuff up at the end of the mission. Definitely a huge help when fighting larger monsters that give out variable XP per hit during fights. We tend to use the 2 per page grid version.

Also, just for the sake of organisation, I keep the Character & XP sheets in clear protector sheets, along with the relevant character cards in 9-pocket pages, all together in a 3-ring binder.

To me, it definitely felt different when we went from using all the cards & tokens to keep track of everything every game, to how we do it now. One, it takes up a lot less space on the table. Its also a lot easier to find relevant information at any given time. And personally, I think it gives it a much more immersive, RPG feeling to the sessions. For me, having to either fiddle with a ton of cards and tokens constantly for the whole game, or just track every little thing by writing it down as the game goes on, both kind of pull me a little too far out of the experience. I think I've found a nice balance that combines the P&P RPG and tactical boardgame aspects without either one diminishing the other. To me, it really feels like I've found the sweet spot for getting the best, most immersive experience out of SoB, and really, everything I've ever wanted out of this game genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use tokens for grit, wounds, sanity, sidebag tokens, and faith. Some players use Dark Stone tokens (usually if they have something powered by Dark Stone), and some players use Corruption tokens. We use poker chips for XP. We had been using money from another game, but a friend recently got us some really cheap play (Canadian) money to use for collecting money during missions. Everything else goes on character sheets - all abilities, gear, upgrades, and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Guijo
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use charater sheets, and we are using tables me made instead of cards, too much in the table right now. Its better to use only the sheets as in roleplaying games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
msg tools
Thanks for your replies.

I think im on the same track in doing a combination of character sheets and tokens.
As you said, Gil, actually getting to "throw away" a token representing a dynamite feels better then erasing and rewriting a number!

And using play money sounds like an awesome idea, all in all this much enhance the immersion alot!

Im getting more and more psyched about starting this game up!
So much roleplaying flavour in it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I use tokens for grit, sidebag items, and faith. If I need more tokens for something, I use the new poker chips from Caverns of Cynder.

Everything else gets written down, and all the other tokens go into a bag. If they're still in that bag after I play another couple sessions, they're going into the recycling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So how do you keep track of things that can be used once per fight or similar? With item cards on the table I can turn it 90 degrees or something similar to indicate it's use and then turn it back to show it's ready again. Just curious since it does make for a very space-intensive setup that way.

I'd love to reduce the footprint of the game some, but I've already noticed in a couple of games that the things I have written down somewhere usually get forgotten compared to things I have a card for. I went through an entire mission with an Aura of Endurance - I had noted it on a sticky note attached to the character card. Completely forgot to use it even once because it wasn't on a nice shiny card with a pretty picture. Maybe if I got rid of all the cards that would help some since I would be more focused on the character sheet. Hmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Snardo wrote:
So how do you keep track of things that can be used once per fight or similar? With item cards on the table I can turn it 90 degrees or something similar to indicate it's use and then turn it back to show it's ready again. Just curious since it does make for a very space-intensive setup that way.

I'd love to reduce the footprint of the game some, but I've already noticed in a couple of games that the things I have written down somewhere usually get forgotten compared to things I have a card for. I went through an entire mission with an Aura of Endurance - I had noted it on a sticky note attached to the character card. Completely forgot to use it even once because it wasn't on a nice shiny card with a pretty picture. Maybe if I got rid of all the cards that would help some since I would be more focused on the character sheet. Hmm...

I recommend ditching the character cards. I copy everything into nice neat little stat blocks in a notebook with a pencil and track hp, sanity, corruption and grit there. I make sure to leave room for XP and character upgrades.

To track card actions that need to recharge, I keep all the character cards, inventory, etc in one stack. If something gets used I flip it face down. Just need to remember to flip it back up again when it's time.

It helps keep the footprint down. You can also pick up tiles that you've already passed through in many cases. RAW it's rare that you'll actually need to backtrack.

That said, I like to see the whole map, and I use a mod that makes use of empty rooms behind you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snardo wrote:

For once per adventure items, I just put a check mark next to it when I use it. Erase all check marks at the end of the adventure.

I use check marks for things like auras or dark stone bullets. At the top of my sheet, I have a spot for DS Bullets (if a ranged character) and a spot for (usually) Spirit Armor from the church, and put check marks next to them when I get them. I don't ever erase the "armor" or "DS bullet" note, just the check marks, so they're always in the same, easy-to-find spot.

If you look at the larger image of the attached character sheet, you can see where I've written down his Void Vapor Injection, Spirit Armor, and move bonuses at the top. For the first two, I put check marks there if/when he acquires them.

For one-shot items (use & discard), I put them in the big Misc box on the back of my sheet instead of with the other gear, to make them easier to find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend the Character Tracking Booklet I designed!

You can find more info in this thread: [V1.0] Hero Tracking Booklet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.