Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One question:

Do first player pay the auction, build a building, then 2nd player pay the auction, build the building.. ?

Or

All players pay their auctions, and the 1st player build, then 2nd player..

Whe played as the second option, and usually is not an issue, but today it was
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First option. Player 1 pays for auction then builds, then player 2, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
First option. Player 1 pays for auction then builds, then player 2, etc.

Huh.

The rules wrote:
Beginning with the player who won Auction 1, and then followed by the winners of Auction 2 and Auction 3, players must pay for the Auction, and then they may build a building of the type listed on the auction tile.

I'd always played (been taught?) that that meant everyone pays, then everyone builds. I still think it's a little unclear as written (I don't blame myself or the person who taught me for getting it wrong) but it does make more sense (and go faster) to pay-build, pay-build, pay-build, rather than pay-pay-pay, build-build-build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Chan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played: everyone pays auction fee. Starting from the winner of auction 1, each player pays and builds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wow

Ok, thumb the topic, maybe we get an official answer then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the issue on when player 2 pays? Either way, player 1 gets to build first, and the second player cannot choose not to pay for their auction if player 1 builds a building they wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I won the second auction, and the other player can buy the Church befor I can buy it, but if I wanted to buy that I need to take some debt.

The thing is that if player 1 buys the church I can buy another building and save money and don't get any debt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kabutor wrote:
I won the second auction, and the other player can buy the Church befor I can buy it, but if I wanted to buy that I need to take some debt.

The thing is that if player 1 buys the church I can buy another building and save money and don't get any debt

Debt is taken the exact moment you need it. So it still wouldn't matter when you pay for the auction. If you need to take debt to pay for the auction, then you only take the amount of debt needed just to pay for the auction. Then later, if you get the opportunity to buy the church, you take more debt if you need it to buy the church. If he already bought the church, then you can buy something else, taken debt if needed, or not taking debt if you don't.

Since you can always take debt as it's needed, you never have to guess at what might happen. So in your case, it would still work out exactly the same whether you both paid for the auction at the same time, or if you waited to see what he bought before paying for your auction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
kabutor wrote:

Debt is taken the exact moment you need it. So it still wouldn't matter when you pay for the auction. If you need to take debt to pay for the auction, then you only take the amount of debt needed just to pay for the auction. Then later, if you get the opportunity to buy the church, you take more debt if you need it to buy the church. If he already bought the church, then you can buy something else, taken debt if needed, or not taking debt if you don't.

Since you can always take debt as it's needed, you never have to guess at what might happen. So in your case, it would still work out exactly the same whether you both paid for the auction at the same time, or if you waited to see what he bought before paying for your auction.

The difference is if he could pay for the auction with gold, avoiding debt.

If able to buy the church, maybe he would take debt to pay the auction and spend the gold on the church. Otherwise he might spend the gold on the auction and avoid debt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
DoomTurtle wrote:
kabutor wrote:

The difference is if he could pay for the auction with gold, avoiding debt.

If able to buy the church, maybe he would take debt to pay the auction and spend the gold on the church. Otherwise he might spend the gold on the auction and avoid debt.

Exactly, I wanted to rephrase that but I didn't have much time yesterday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.