Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diluvia Project:
This is a city-building, tableau-tracking worker placement that just does a lot of things right. You are building a city in the clouds and are competing with other players to have the largest population on the cloud island. You do this by constructing buildings, which all have two options: to be set to manufacture goods for you, increasing the resources or money you get during the income phase; or to be set to function as prestigious gathering halls, which makes them generate prestige points for you. This is important, because having many buildings means that you gain more population every time your prestige marker hits a multiple of 10. At the beginning of the game, your prestige marker may make its way to the "10" spot eventually and give you like 2 population points. But by the end game, you'll be sending your prestige marker through like 40 points in a round and will gain up something like 5 or 7 or 10 population points per multiple of ten your prestige marker goes through, giving you 20 or 28 or 40 points. This is not a "point-salad" euro. Many things you do in this game get you prestige points, but they are nothing without many buildings on the board to make that multiplier worthwhile.

Each round of the game consists of three phases. In the first, a 5x5 grid of market tiles which have super powers or one-time bonuses or just piles of resources on them are randomly laid out. Players place their zeppelins on anywhere adjacent to a row or column, and can buy things closest to them for 1 coin, and further away for 2, 3, or 4 coins. In the first turn of the market, players in turn order place their zeppelins, then in the second turn, they buy in turn order. Any tile that has already been bought by another player in your column or row gives you a 1 dollar consolation prize. This is a huge incentive to go first or second, as all types of the market tiles can be extremely powerful depending on where players are in the game.

Then you have the action phase, where players take turns placing workers. This is standard euro stuff, but there are two interesting wrinkles. The first is that players get a special worker that gives them a bonus if they are the first special worker to go in a space. Either an extra resource, or some points, or a discount on buying land to place buildings on, or the option to construct another building with just one worker. The second is that the priorities in this phase change dramatically from the beginning of the game, where players are struggling for resources, to the end of the game, where they will be focused on slamming down as many buildings as possible.

Finally, there's the income phase, where players get prestige, resources, and money based off of buildings they've placed. This is all tracked on a little player-board that is technically unnecessary but really saves on time calculating all of the little bonuses your buildings provide.

Here's the thing about the game: It is incredibly tight(-ly designed.) It scales well for 2, 3 or 4, and there are a lot of subtle ways to interact with other players. For example, one action space lets you build a garden, which provides a one-time bonus at the end of the game in the form of extra prestige points. You have to use land you've claimed in order to build it, but it can help anyone. You can purchase the rights to maintain the propellers that hold the city up, paying a lot of money for a lot of prestige points, but you have to own the land next to them first, and there will be tight competition between players to lay down tile fast enough to claim those bonuses. Somewhere in the middle of the game you need to start slowing down your economy by switching your buildings to produce prestige points instead of raw materials, but if you do this too early you'll hamstring your ability to continue to produce tiles. If you do it too late, no one will care about your dumb cloud factory and people will not live in your houses. There are less mechanisms in this game than in other Essen-debut games like Burano, but the mechanisms here force tactical trade-offs.

One example of this is that there is a type of building that is relatively easy to produce, and is available from the beginning of the game, that gives you an extra worker on subsequent rounds. You can have up to three of these, which can be huge for out-producing other players. BUT: during the beginning of the game, where it would be most useful, there is another building you can build that will give you two free population points for building it and money on subsequent turns, which is really important for making your actions efficient. (There is a Terra Mystica-style track where building the newest, best type of building gives you two free points.) The choices will rarely ever be obvious, but you will have the opportunity to develop a suite of powers through the buildings you erect and the market tiles you buy to keep control of the cloud city.

If you like euros or tense competition with a specific, difficult objective, I highly recommend checking The Diluvia Project out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Impermanent wrote:
You can purchase the rights to maintain the propellers that hold the city up, paying a lot of money for a lot of prestige points, but you have to place a building next to them first, and there will be tight competition between players to lay down tile fast enough to claim those bonuses.

You do not need a building next to a propeller to buy it. You can buy any propeller on the board. You can buy terrain next to a propeller you own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBen wrote:
Impermanent wrote:
You can purchase the rights to maintain the propellers that hold the city up, paying a lot of money for a lot of prestige points, but you have to place a building next to them first, and there will be tight competition between players to lay down tile fast enough to claim those bonuses.

You do not need a building next to a propeller to buy it. You can buy any propeller on the board. You can buy terrain next to a propeller you own.

Thanks for the rules clarification! I have edited the review accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Impermanent wrote:
JonBen wrote:
Impermanent wrote:

You now say you need to own the land next the propeller. This is still incorrect. You can buy ANY propeller, there is no restriction except that it cannot be owned already by another player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
gah I would really love to play this, hopefully it gets picked up in the US

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBen wrote:
Impermanent wrote:
JonBen wrote:
Impermanent wrote:

You now say you need to own the land next the propeller. This is still incorrect. You can buy ANY propeller, there is no restriction except that it cannot be owned already by another player.

Oh, OK. I see what you're saying now. That does kind of change how the game works to me. In the game we played, we were taught that we had to race to the propellers. Knowing that they open up avenues to prevent you from being overtaken by other players would change my strategy a lot, and pushes part of the jostling of this game from an area-control perspective to an economic one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anatana wrote:
gah I would really love to play this, hopefully it gets picked up in the US

You can pre-order the U.S. release on FunAgain games right now, that's the only place I can find to order it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any production issues or problems with the components?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard people say there aren't enough of some cubes. I can say for a fact that the red player cubes and the shade of pink for the resource cubes (when it's supposed to be purple) are almost indistinguishable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Are there any production issues or problems with the components?

Take a look at this:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/2721120/dilluvia-project

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It made #4 on my rated and ranked games above Tzolkin and below Shipyard if that matters to anyone.

I will say though that the extreme variability may not be here with this one from game to game. It definitely works really well with two players.

I really enjoy the process of playing and feel that the ranking is very solid due to the challenge of the game, and someday if it gets to the minor fractions state of Stone Age well at least I still have a busier game than that, that looks great on my table with at least a few different ways I could try to play.

It was worth my $65 paid plus $20 shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.