Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Blowes
Australia
Ingleburn
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing a bunch of times (just got this game last week), our group has two suggestions:

1) Felt line the cups. With 5 players in a noisy room, shaking those things around with a stack of dice in them sounds like a death rattle!

2) Provide excess white dice. I nearly lost a white die after our first time playing it (I didn't even realise it was missing until the host gave it to me a few days later). Seems rather strange to risk being unable to play 5 player based on a single die out of the 100+!

The game itself has been great! Very enjoyable. Our group has played Race FTG before, but personally I much prefer Roll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Petersen
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the extra white dice: if you buy the first expansion you will end up with five extra home dice. Does that count for "future releases", or do you mean base game versions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Blowes
Australia
Ingleburn
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steveisbig wrote:
Regarding the extra white dice: if you buy the first expansion you will end up with five extra home dice. Does that count for "future releases", or do you mean base game versions?

I was thinking for future base game versions. Shame to buy an expansion because you lost one die...

I'd hope that RGG sells individual dice if needed, that said, I don't want to imagine what it would be like to get hold of them here in Australia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
1. foam cup liners

Thinking about adding these and someone mentioned that glue wasn't even needed with the foam.

2. To be fair, most games would be hard to play without a main component but I agree, if you like the game keep an eye out for Roll for the Galaxy: Ambition. Adds lots of starting tiles, new gameplay, and more dice, including a leader die that replaces a home die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Remy Lebeau wrote:
1) Felt line the cups. With 5 players in a noisy room, shaking those things around with a stack of dice in them sounds like a death rattle!

The noisy dice shaking in the cup is part of the fun of the game! No felt lining for us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1- conspiracy theory says they did this on purpose... to save $$, and to better "advertise" the game

2- worse comes to worst, just use regular d6's, and map the existing values as shown...
1 and 2 = Explore
3 = dev
4 = settle
5 = Produce
6 = Consume

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Something Awry
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
badge
Grr. Arg.
mbmbmbmbmb
R3DSH1FT wrote:
1. foam cup liners

Thinking about adding these and someone mentioned that glue wasn't even needed with the foam.

Yes, not needed with foam. Described here (one sheet of black), and in later posts (this one with matching colors) on that same thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Blowes
Australia
Ingleburn
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had indeed found the foam suggestions, and have already lined the cups!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remy Lebeau wrote:
After playing a bunch of times (just got this game last week), our group has two suggestions:

For $15, I will make 5 coloured dice tray.
Problem solved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remy Lebeau wrote:
steveisbig wrote:

I was thinking for future base game versions. Shame to buy an expansion because you lost one die...

Nah. That's your excuse to go buy a 3-d printer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Blowes
Australia
Ingleburn
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has someone made a model for these dice? (I've got a mate with a 3-d printer :D)

In other news - we've played it 7 times in the last week, I've won 4 - wohoo! Best bit is that all the wins where against the most experienced Race for the galaxy player, two of those wins where by tie breaker!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luther Hendricks
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
1- conspiracy theory says they did this on purpose... to save $$, and to better "advertise" the game

I mean, is the first part a "conspiracy theory"? Of course it's cheaper to not have fancier cups than to have them. How much extra would people have paid if the cups were felt lined? I bet it wouldn't nearly have made up for the sales lost because of the significantly increased MSRP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Blowes
Australia
Ingleburn
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drab Emordnilap wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
1- conspiracy theory says they did this on purpose... to save $$, and to better "advertise" the game :p

I mean, is the first part a "conspiracy theory"? Of course it's cheaper to not have fancier cups than to have them. How much extra would people have paid if the cups were felt lined? I bet it wouldn't nearly have made up for the sales lost because of the significantly increased MSRP.

"Significantly increased"? I foam lined my cups + have 6 foam mats (1 each for player and 1 for dice pool) for under $5AUD ($3.50 USD), and that's at retail price. They wouldn't even have had to to any more process than punching out the foam and letting people put it into the cups themselves. Total extra cost couldn't have been more than a dollar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
The noisy dice shaking in the cup is part of the fun of the game! No felt lining for us!

Stuff thinking about the fun. I rattle my dice as loudly as possible in order to intimidate my opponents. "Listen to how many dice I have in here, and fear me!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One extra dollar on the manufacturing cost puts about five extra dollars on the shelf price, give or take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Blowes
Australia
Ingleburn
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
One extra dollar on the manufacturing cost puts about five extra dollars on the shelf price, give or take.

Which would have put the game at the exact amount of money I spent :D (by the time I foam lined them myself), with the added bonus of it being a production quality thing, rather than home made!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drab Emordnilap wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

Not to mention possible sales from the "ruckus". I've had a few moments where folks look over/walk by and wonder what the noise is all about. We tell them it's Roll For The Galaxy. Now they know This was earlier on, but some folks walked away just having learned that there's now a dice version of Race!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steveisbig wrote:
Regarding the extra white dice: if you buy the first expansion you will end up with five extra home dice.

Though there are worlds (including factions) that use them. Unlikely to all be in play though.

(The critical resource with the expansion is black dice.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.