Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
61 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Are games really re-sold for $3 less than what people paid for them? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Y
msg tools
mb
I contacted a guy on craigslist about several games that he was selling used. I knew what amazon was charging. He said he bought all his games on amazon.

He had Witness and Camel up for sale.... at $3 less than what he paid. He even agreed that it was only $3 less than he paid. He said "Board games are like Apple products - they retain their value".

I asked him to at least take $5 off per game and he wouldn't.... so I guess in his world, he is fairly priced... but do you agree with the statement about board games and Apple?

EDIT.... he said both games had been played 5 - 7x, and were in mint condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Not the avatar you're looking for
mbmbmbmbmb
He's kidding himself. Unless they're OOP, they should be a lot cheaper than that. I'd say at least $5-10 off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb
Some do, some don't.

In the end, the buyer decides.

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never sold a game at that price, nor purchased one. I don't know of anyone personally who has every done either of those things (but I don't really chat about used game prices with people either.)

I can't really say whether it is done or not. I guess it is?

5-7 plays is not in "mint condition" in my mind though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spielboy.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Parham
United States
Vacaville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It boils down to willing buyer, willing seller. If he wants to price them that way it's his choice, just like it is yours to buy or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Parham
United States
Vacaville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RingelTree wrote:
I've never sold a game at that price, nor purchased one. I don't know of anyone personally who has every done either of those things (but I don't really chat about used game prices with people either.)

I can't really say whether it is done or not. I guess it is?

5-7 plays is not in "mint condition" in my mind though.

I have games that have more plays than that on them and they are in "mint" condition. I gently use my games and sleeve them, so my OCD keeps them in amazing condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, it might be my background, but I would call that "near mint" rather than mint. Mint means "untouched" in my mind, but I can adjust my expectations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Games hold value pretty ridiculously compared to a lot of other hobbies/media.

2 Bucks is not much, but apparently it was enough for you to back out of a sale either on principle or actual value to you. And enough for him to value just keeping the games.

You don't list where you live. The face to face market probably relies heavily on population, density, ease of travel, thrift stores, colleges, how much people make, conventions, amazon sales tax, and all sorts of other things.

I've bought a few games from amazon in used condition though, and I don't expect to see more than ten percent knocked off the price (though it's possible to do a fair bit better there, here or ebay.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hard to know without knowing the titles...

Most titles... no!

English Copy of out of print games... probably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cox
New Zealand
flag msg tools
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endowment_effect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gallo
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My rule of thumb is 50% off CSI for impulse buys (stuff I wouldn't buy otherwise) for games in good to near-mint condition (I won't buy below good condition). That offer is a bit low, but for impulse buys I'm more than willing to walk away from the deal.

For an in-print game that was actually on my wish list, I'll go up to 25% off CSI, any less of a discount and I'd just prefer to have a shrink wrapped copy.

For OOP, all rules are off ... depends on how badly I want it. Looking at my eBay history: $202 for Queen's Gambit, $153 for Starcraft + Brood War, $125 for 2 copies of Civ + Adv. Civ.

Btw... I follow my guidelines for both buying and selling. Most in-print games that I sell, unless there's unusual demand, go for about 50% off CSI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GarlicGuy wrote:
"Board games are like Apple products - they retain their value".

An item's value is left up to the buyer and not the seller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
GarlicGuy wrote:

You know, I keep trying that at, oh, every single store I go to.

Never fucking works.

Super confused.

Any tips?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Parham
United States
Vacaville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RingelTree wrote:
I don't know, it might be my background, but I would call that "near mint" rather than mint. Mint means "untouched" in my mind, but I can adjust my expectations.

Fair enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I put a good condition (working and playable) arcade cocktail table of the original 1985 Donkey Kong Jr. I had valued at $700, asking for $400 and someone sent an angry email to me saying it should be $200 because it was so old and I was ripping people off.

Craigslist is not a place for things of actual value. Or reasoning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
I put a good condition (working and playable) arcade cocktail table of the original 1985 Donkey Kong Jr. I had valued at $700, asking for $400 and someone sent an angry email to me saying it should be $200 because it was so old and I was ripping people off.

Craigslist is not a place for things of actual value. Or reasoning.

Dating on there is actually pretty much exactly the same!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
GarlicGuy wrote:
I contacted a guy on craigslist about several games that he was selling used. I knew what amazon was charging. He said he bought all his games on amazon.

He had Witness and Camel up for sale.... at $3 less than what he paid. He even agreed that it was only $3 less than he paid. He said "Board games are like Apple products - they retain their value".

I asked him to at least take $5 off per game and he wouldn't.... so I guess in his world, he is fairly priced... but do you agree with the statement about board games and Apple?

EDIT.... he said both games had been played 5 - 7x, and were in mint condition.

Here's the thing: Items are worth (monetarily) what other people will buy them for. End of story. If the guy wants to list his items for a certain price then let him. No skin off your back. Not really sure why you're challenging him. Either it's a price you're willing to pay or it's not. He'll figure it out eventually if people will buy the things he's selling at that price or not. It's pretty likely that if you're pushing him on the price point that he won't move. Let him drop it in time...unless you're concerned that someone else will buy it...

Do consider, however, that he might have bought the games at an online game store for quite a bit less and than is trying to sell them for slightly less than amazon prices for what's still a bargain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Remember PT Barnum!"

What something is worth is what someone is willing to pay. Unless they are OOP, or he improved them with sleeves or something, good luck to him on getting that price.

After a week of people trying to scam him, offer him 40% of retail. He'll likely have reconsidered. It's craigslist after all...laugh

Or he found a sucker...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
Synnical77 wrote:
Not really sure why you're challenging him. Either it's a price you're willing to pay or it's not.

People don't haggle over prices on Craig's List?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
matthean wrote:
GarlicGuy wrote:

Never fucking works.

Super confused.

Any tips?

You just got to find the person giving it away for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gallo
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
matthean wrote:
GarlicGuy wrote:

Never fucking works.

Super confused.

Any tips?

You just got to find the person giving it away for free.

Try Tom Vasel's flee market table at DTC 2016 during the last few hours, of course, I hope you like Killer Bunnies and similar ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J R
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter Cox wrote:

This for sure. I see this with the market place in another collectibles forum a lot; someone buys an item and then puts it up for sale a few months later for 20% more than they paid. The market value can't have changed in that short of a time, they must think that by owning it for a while they've endowed it with magical fairy dust or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
RingelTree wrote:
Synnical77 wrote:
Not really sure why you're challenging him. Either it's a price you're willing to pay or it's not.

I've never used craigslist but have bought and sold numerous things on Kijiji. I totally don't understand the whole haggling thing.

When there's things that I want and there's listings I either do or don't reply based on their price. If I think it's too high then I don't contact them. If it's a price I'm okay with I respond right away and tell them I want to buy it and when I'm available.

I completely don't understand the mentality of the asking price being the "starting" price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Synnical77 wrote:
RingelTree wrote:
Synnical77 wrote:

I've never used craigslist but have bought and sold numerous things on Kijiji. I totally don't understand the whole haggling thing.

When there's things that I want and there's listings I either do or don't reply based on their price. If I think it's too high then I don't contact them. If it's a price I'm okay with I respond right away and tell them I want to buy it and when I'm available.

I completely don't understand the mentality of the asking price being the "starting" price.

I think people expect some haggling on CL and Kijiji, it's kind of like an on-line garage sale. Don't get me wrong, if I saw a bargain I'd snatch it up immediately. But if it's a price I'm a bit unsure on, I can ask for a price I feel better about, and the other person can decide if they want to sell it at that price or not. If they do, it's a win-win situation. If they don't, no harm done. If I never ask, we both potentially lose out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.