Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

Pandemic Legacy is a bear of a game. It is going to turn some gamers off as it has a finite number of plays (I guess you could keep playing normal pandemic with the game and ignore all the the "Legacy" stuff. Even so, the components are top notch and really, really good.

PL is all about the story. This game tells a wonderful story over quite a few games. While many will rail against the finite number of games in the box, but I don't normally play my games this much. Although I have to admit, this feels like one very long game more than a series of 12-24 games. This is a huge benefit of the game to me.

The hard part about playing this game is having to get a number of your buddies to play the same game over and over and show up to each of your gaming sessions. I've had this be a problem with our gaming systems, so it is worth discussing. This game works best if you play with the same people over and over. Also, if you have previously played it you have a huge advantage in "beating" the game.

At its heart this is just Pandemic. As the objectives and rules change, it feels like variants to the main game. I'm not sure you will ever get around this. The game is epic in scale and it really feels like a living breathing world.

This is a game I highly recommend you try. This is an experience. This is unique (ok, Risk Legacy) and a very great game. I would recommend every gamer experience this game. It can be played solo or with a group of friends (or a spouse). I've played through it twice since its release and I look forward to another play in the future. I'm also waiting on the second season.

Keeper.

Components:

The components are top notch. They components are so good that I feel bad that they are useless when the game is over. The cubes for the diseases are nice and I like the cure/disease bottles. The cards are top notch and better than they had to be. Considering the game has a finite number of plays, the cards could have been cheaper. I really like the mounted board and the map on the board. Everything is so user friendly. I do wish the research stations and other buildings had more detail, but everything works and looks great. I have little to zero complaints about the components.

Rule Book:

The rules are presented in full color with plenty of pictures. The rule book is unique in that as the game progresses new stickers that add new rules to the game. The rules are simple to digest, but I've played the original game quite a bit. I love how rules are added as the game progresses. Sometimes in the middle of a game; other times between games. The rules are simple really, but brilliant at the same time.

Flow of the Game:

I am going to assume you have played Pandemic or at least know the rules.

Here is a quick overview:

Goal of the Game:

The goal of the game is cure 4 diseases that is spreading across the globe. If you do this before your deck runs out of cards, a disease runs out of cubes, etc then you win the game.

How it plays:

Players will travel around the globe attempting to cure diseases that is killing millions of people. Each player has a special power that is unique to just them. Players will feel the stress and the pressure of their task.

Turn of the Game:

1. On a player's turn, they can take up to four of the following actions:

A. move to an adjacent city
B. move to another city (play the city card of city you are in to move to any city)
C. Move to a city if you are not there and you have the city card in your hand
D. cure a disease (5 cards of the same color and you must be at a research station)
E. make a research station (discard the city card of the city you are currently in)
F. treat a disease - take a single disease cube off the city you are currently in

2. After you have taken your turn, you draw two cards. These cards are normally a city card but occasionally will be an action card that you can use to break the rules of the game. Additionally, even fewer times, an epidemic card may appear. If this is the case, you take the bottom card of the disease deck (more on this in a minute) and add 3 cubes to that city. Then you take the disease discard pile (shuffle it first) and then put it back on top of the disease deck. This is brilliant as the cities that have the disease occurring will now be on top of the deck again and you will see them again very soon.

3. Then, you draw a number of disease cards equal to the outbreak level (this increases when an epidemic card is drawn). For each card drawn, you will add a cube to that city. If a city gets more than 3 cubes, an outbreak occurs. If you get a number of outbreaks that occur, you lose the game. If an outbreak occurs, every city that is adjacent gets a cube (this can cause more outbreaks).

-----------------------------------------------------------

This is a brilliant design as you are racing against the ticking clock (your deck of cards) to beat the game and cure the disease. There is this pending doom and this pressure to save mankind. The theme is amazing and really brings the tension to the board game table.

* This game adds additional rules and game play that comes out over an extended play of the game. Each game you win and/or lose will change the fabric of the story and add wrinkles which I will not comment on here due to possible spoilers.

Should I buy this game?:

This game is basically for a game group that wants to commit to the story line over an extended period of time. Non-gamers and new gamers are not going to find the finesse in this game. This is also for fans of Pandemic. In addition, this is a Legacy game so you will mark up the board and when you are done: the game is done.

Keeper. But I'm done so now what?

*The images posted with this review are not mine and are images I found on BGG. If you click on the image, you can see who posted it to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 855 Pandemic Legacy: No spoilers but diseases are trying to destroy mankind in 12-24 games
When you say you've played through it twice, you mean with two different copies? Or the same copy that you've somehow turned into a non-Legacy version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 855 Pandemic Legacy: No spoilers but diseases are trying to destroy mankind in 12-24 games
What entices you to play through the game more than once? If you can reveal that without any spoilers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
The greatest political storm flutters only a fringe of humanity. But an ordinary man and an ordinary woman and their ordinary children literally alter the destiny of nations. - GK Chesterton
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikatoy wrote:
What entices you to play through the game more than once? If you can reveal that without any spoilers.

Imagine if board games developed like video games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
When you say you've played through it twice, you mean with two different copies? Or the same copy that you've somehow turned into a non-Legacy version?

2 different copies. I bought 4 total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikatoy wrote:

It is like a good movie. Sure you know the plot, but you enjoy playing it again. Sometimes I will share a movie and enjoy my friends enjoying it.

With this, I played 2 player with my wife. Now we are playing 4 player with some friends. I'm letting them make decisions in the game with some guidance. 4 player is much harder than 2.

It is still Pandemic. When things change it feels like little variants which is fun. Sure, I know the plot and suprises, but I still enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikatoy wrote:

THIS SPOILER FREE....

Imagine a single game of base Pandemic (legacy free). You tell a story. You used the Researcher and the Medic. This is arguably the best combination for a two player game. Now play with the Generalist and the Dispatcher. Is the game different? Yes and no.

This is a cool way to play Legacy. Yes, you know the surprises and maybe the optimal move but with a little role playing the game is fresh enough (or at least equal to any other game with event cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. I'm also considering playing it through twice. I have a group of 4 committed but we can only start playing in December (scheduling stuff), I think. My roommate has expressed some interest in playing, so I might actually be able to finish a campaign with him before the 4P game starts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So... how possible is this to play without it being destructive? i.e. what would it take to be able to play with notes or w/e rather than any "legacy" components?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerrin 2
United States
Canandaigua
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
So... how possible is this to play without it being destructive? i.e. what would it take to be able to play with notes or w/e rather than any "legacy" components?

Check out the game's General forum, there are oodles of threads discussing this topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:

No. Destroy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.