Popular Tags: [View All]
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to document the state of our metagame at Atomic Goblin Games. For the moment, I’m just using general statistics: I didn’t want to publish anyone’s lists, although they are welcome to if they are interested. We use standard WK suggested rules: faction mixing is allowed with standard point penalties, minimum 3 ships, maximum 50 point ships. For the Year of Hell event, we had six players competing.

Card categories of particular interest:
Fighters: 3 fleets included fighters, with 3 fighters being fielded in total
Cloaked mines: 2 fleets included cloaked mines, with 2 cloaked mines being fielded in total
Shuttles: no shuttles were fielded in this event
Borg (360°): 2 fleets included Borg with 360° arcs, with 3 Borg being fielded in total
Resources: 3 Fleet Captain (Ind-Kli), 1 Officer Exchange, 2 no resource

Total distribution by card type and faction:

Category Fed Kli Rom Dom Bor Baj Fer Vul Ind Mir Q
Ship 5 1 3 3 1 2
Fighter 1 2
Captain 2 2 2 6 1 1 1
Admiral 1 1 1
Crew 6 6 2 2 5 1 4 1
EliteTalent 1 1 1 1
Tech 4 2 1 1 2
Weapon 4 1 4 2 1
Borg
Squadron 1 2
? 1
Total 26 2 12 21 7 7 1 2 3 9 3

(Couldn't figure out a way to copy in a table, sorry.)

I should probably throw up a table of unique cards used, as well. I just didn't think of it when first collating. Anyway, is there other information people would be interested in seeing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played in one OP so far but from reading the various threads it's clear folks are generating some interesting combinations of cards to max out attack dice - as many as 14 I've read so I'm kind of curious as to what some of those more lethal combinations look like (particularly if limited to within a given faction i.e. all Fed) and the end result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes! Only two Klingon cards used! Scary for what was a dominant faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Good formatting on the info, it gives a pretty clear view at a glance without disclosing specific fleets. A list of all uniques might be a bit much. I would be interested in a list of ship classes and captains.

Two things that you could add that wouldn't give away specific fleets.
-A vague description of winning build. Only as specific as something like "Fed torpedo build."
-A vague description of any single ship that really stood out. Was a "defense voyager" sparing people's fleets? Did some kind of "slingshot sovereign" wreck people's days?

A lot of the meta looks predictable, but a few surprising things stick out to me.
-No Alpha hunter. This is pretty surprising. I've seen at least one in every OP I've played since it came out.
-Seeing a Bajoran ship and that much crew is a surprise. They really don't have jack except for Kira5 and Li Nallis.
-I generally just expect more Scimitars. Only one (maybe) is a surprise.
-5 Fed ships but only 2 Fed captains?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rallye72 wrote:
I've only played in one OP so far but from reading the various threads it's clear folks are generating some interesting combinations of cards to max out attack dice - as many as 14 I've read so I'm kind of curious as to what some of those more lethal combinations look like (particularly if limited to within a given faction i.e. all Fed) and the end result.

I can't speak for anyone else's meta, but it seems to me that such things are pretty exaggerated.

Typically it'd involve one or more expensive discards, and probably the loss of one of your other attacks and/or sacrificing a certain amount of dice quality in favor of quantity. Think Transphasic Torpedoes, Flanking Attack, or Barrage of Fire, with a bunch of effects stacked on top of it.

It's the sort of thing Magic players would describe as a "Timmy" effect: flashy and exciting, but not very economical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Church14 wrote:
Two things that you could add that wouldn't give away specific fleets.
-A vague description of winning build. Only as specific as something like "Fed torpedo build."
-A vague description of any single ship that really stood out. Was a "defense voyager" sparing people's fleets? Did some kind of "slingshot sovereign" wreck people's days?

I'll try to reconstruct this, but it has been a month at this point. And while I remember there being e.g. someone with a captain's skill of 13, I look at the lists and it isn't who I remembered it being.

(I'm hoping to make this a regular feature, but a local SF convention and other real-life events saw a single person show up for this month's event. Perhaps I'll reach back a few months for some more results to analyze.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Johnsen
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lordgloom wrote:
Lets just assume you rolled 9, 25% chance. 5 hits 4 crits.

You then activate attack pattern shinzon theta and those 4 crits hit off 4 shields. They then get hit for 5 hits and 4 crits. Pretty large chunk of alpha. 13 Total damage, not even the best case, but a higher than average case statistically. Best case, it alphas for 10 crits and 10 shield damage.

Not quite, according to WORF:

http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=19...
and
http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=19...

You apply normal hits first, then discard APST to do bonus damage that only affects Shields, then apply standard Critical damage.

In your example, APST would only help you if the target ship has more than 5 Shields.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.