Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Perry Clayton
United States
Hanceville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just finished our game, and we had a great time.

I have a question about the game components. My original copy of Pandemic was the first edition copy, the one that was not compatible with the expansions. I was really bummed out when they reprinted the game with different components and our old game wasn't compatible with the expansions, so I never bought any of the expansions. I just couldn't bring myself to purchase a second copy of the base game just to have one that would be compatible with the expansions.

However...

Now that we've finished the Legacy game, I feel that I can, with judicious sticker removal, easily convert it into Pandemic classic. My question is, if I were to do so, would the cards and board from Legacy be compatible with the expansions for the current edition of the base game?

A side question to this would be, will Season 2 rely on the end board configuration of Season 1? I realize, baring an word from the developers, any answer to this second question would probably be purely speculative, but it would be nice to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John K

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmb
#1 On the surface I think what you are suggesting would work. I'd have to look into it, but for the most part the Legacy board would be compatible with the expansions, although having said that if memory serves the first expansion includes a sticker to put over part of the board to add a fifth virus. While the backs of the decks are the same, some of the cards in Legacy may be a little different too.

#2 I don't think that Season 2 will build on Season 1. Check out the Dice Tower/Miami Dice review. Tom Vassel answers this I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salty Skwib
United States
San Miguel
California
flag msg tools
badge
Should I eat the Cuttlefish and Asparagus or the Vanilla Paste?
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I can tell, the city cards for both the Player decks and Infection decks, as well as the Epidemic cards, are the same. Your first edition board will work fine with all expansions. I guess the only small issues I can see are:

1. Legacy includes only five Epidemic cards (that I know of... I haven't finished yet), but On The Brink will give you a sixth plus all the Virulent Strain cards.

2. Some of the Event cards for the Player Deck are different from base Pandemic.

3. The expansions do include a sticker indicating the cure space for the fifth disease, as John mentions, but they also include an optional card that you can use instead of the sticker. So you're fine in that regard.

I was considering as well saving those decks just as a backup in case I somehow wreck any in my standard game.

P.S. I think if Season 2 was going to build off Season 1, there would be instructions to save the game state or at least a heads up not to toss your game in the rules somewhere. Plus for Z-Man, that eliminates a market of new potential buyers who may buy Season 2 never having played Season 1. So I would say it's a safe bet Season 2 will start from scratch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in a similar situation (except that, due to poor planning, recently bought State of Emergency to go with first editions of Pandemic and On the Brink).

My idea was to sticker up my original board and deck, and keep the Legacy components pristine. I may still want the OTB compatibility pack, but from what y'all are saying, it sounds like everything else should work. I guess I'll compare the event cards to decide whether to alter them/sleeve everything and mix/not bother.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina McDuffie
United States
Goose Creek
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Visit TheGlassMeeple.com for game reviews and run-throughs by me.
badge
She who laughs... lasts!
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobleSavage wrote:
Now that we've finished the Legacy game, I feel that I can, with judicious sticker removal, easily convert it into Pandemic classic. My question is, if I were to do so, would the cards and board from Legacy be compatible with the expansions for the current edition of the base game?

Interesting question. I'll have to do a comparison and see what's different. Off the top of my head, I can say that the Legacy board has more connections between cities. I'm pretty sure the backs of the Player Deck and Infection Cards match those of the new edition and the expansions. You might be able to just use the cards from Legacy with your old board to accommodate the expansions, instead of buying upgrade decks.

Hmmm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Clayton
United States
Hanceville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tgmcduff wrote:
You might be able to just use the cards from Legacy with your old board to accommodate the expansions, instead of buying upgrade decks.
Hmmm.

My understanding was that, when the card backs were changed, so were certain connections on the game board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.