Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I've recently picked up a number of card-driven wargames such as Paths of Glory, Friedrich, and Combat Commander. All use several decks of cards, but don't include anyway to store them. I'm loathe to use rubber bands as they may cause damage.

I'm using zip locks right now but that isn't too....satisfying. I just picked up some Ultra-Pro Deck Boxes designed for CCG's, but they hold 75 cards and as a result are too large to fit in the game boxes.

Does anyone know of smaller deck boxes, about the thickness of a standard deck of poker playing cards or just a bit more? Or of any other storage options for the OCD wargamer?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Tuckboxes?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/tag/tuckboxes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
And custom tuckboxes of any size can be made here:
http://www.cpforbes.net/tuckbox/tuckbox.cgi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, tuckboxes. So that's what they're called.

Thanks!

edit:

I noticed on some it recommends photo paper. Has anyone tried cardstock? (Assuming I'm not printing graphics on them.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cleitus the Black wrote:
I noticed on some it recommends photo paper. Has anyone tried cardstock? (Assuming I'm not printing graphics on them.)

I've made tuckboxes that seem to work just fine with 65# cardstock. I'm sure it would be better with 110# - you can't manhandle them too much. But it works well enough just for keeping your cards nicely organized in the game box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I am the one that has made most of the tuckbox patterns posted on BGG. I recommend photo paper for mine because mine have graphics and look better using photo paper. Mine are also sized pretty exactly to the thickness of double sided matte Epson paper.

I also find that some cardstocks are brittle and when folded just crack at the folds. Also, in my case, I have an HP printer that uses vivera 02 ink. All (and I mean really ALL) of the cardstocks I have used in this printer just have this ink bead right off the paper leaving me with a gooey, runny mess.

I suggest that you try cardstock in your printer and see if you do or don't get either of these two unpleasant results from using it. You may be lucky. Also, if you aren't using graphics you won't care if the print quality is really great.

Unfortunately, I don't have any of the games you mentioned, so I can't make patterns for them myself.

The generator program (the link to which I can't remember right now) does work fine. It just doesn't put nice graphics on the boxes. But will generate pretty nice, plain, perfectly sized boxes.

I also highly recommend that you do not put card protectors on your cards if you are using any kind of handmade tuckbox. The corners of almost all card protectors tear up the tuckboxes pretty fast and you'll have to make them over and over again.

I have been experimenting with making tuckboxes out of overhead projector stock. This would mean clear, rather strong boxes possibly suitable for meeples. However, I don't have a nice looking method for gluing/taping that doesn't look stupid or come apart too easily.

-Helen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all.

Helen, your boxes look fantastic. How do you make them? I assume you scan game components (alas, I don't have a scanner). What software program do you use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
cardstock

I use hanging file folders. Not the manila file folders, but the greenish (now multiple coloured ones) that hang from the metal bars that hold the manila folders. It's heavier weight than paper and quite workable.

(Needless to say - I don't put or use graphics on mine.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

How I make tuckboxes:

I have written a script for Photoshop that makes the outlines and such. It takes more than 45 minutes to run. This script is pretty grumpy and I have to fight with it all the time. Photoshop does not like being script driven.

I scan the artwork from cards, box lids, etc. and resize them to fit. I also decide whether the background will be a color or a pattern from the box art scan.

Then I have another script that stuffs the backgrounds onto it. Then I hand place all the art and front Artwork text.

Then I save the whole thing as a smallish pdf.

Then I test it for fit and almost always have to make a second or third (waiting for that 45 minute script each time). to get the fit right. It's amazing how different card textures affect the fit of a tuckbox. I can't ever tell if a box will fit or not!

After all the boxes for all the decks for a game are done, I use another program to stitch them together into one package (or two or three if there are a lot of boxes). I limit myself to about 6 boxes per file so the single files aren't too big to download easily.

It's not an easy process and I usually spend between 3 and 5 hours for a game making tuckboxes.

Right now I am trying to better automate a hex box script, but it's not going well. Photoshop just hates mathematical equations and is not cooperating. Just this week we got out Gheos and that needs triangular boxes! My brain will explode soon...

-Helen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cook
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the custom tuckbox script mentioned above (http://www.cpforbes.net/tuckbox/tuckbox.cgi). After the PDF is downloaded to my computer, I just open it in Photoshop and add the graphics I want. Often scans from the game components. I print it on card stock that you'd get from a scrapbooking store. I use my work's color laser printer, so there's no trouble with smudging. In the past, I have tried printing it on regular paper and spray mounted it to a manila folder. That seemed to work pretty decent too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that sounds like a lot of work. Hats-off to you for sharing the results with fellow BGGers!

Since the games I'm looking for don't have any custom boxes made, I'll try the templates on the website above, without any graphics.

This looks like a great solution.

Thank you everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.