John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm not ready to introduce the game to my gaming group till I can figure out how to get the game to flow quickly and feel balanced. In order to do this I've been trying to play lots of solo games. This is the system I'm using to drive the AI.

Core concepts:

I'm using a simple deck of cards to drive the AI. The deck is from the Mars Attack kickstarter but it would be very easy to create your own. Each card either tells which figure to activate or tells you to draw and play a guard card.

The activation cards have 2 sections of information. The sector to activate from (left/center/right) and the figure to activate (nearest/farthest/most powerful). So if the card says left and farthest I look for the guard that is farthest away from any of my ninjas in the left section of the board and activate them.

Example cards...

Left nearest
Center most powerful
Draw card
Left farthest

One of the core concepts I wanted to capture is that the guards shouldn't be able to just move straight at the ninjas positions if they aren't making lots of noise. In order to capture this feel the ninjas move randomly if there is no noise token in their sector. This mechanic is inspired by the GW stealth coop game Assasinorum Execution Force.

Phases:

Recruitment phase- In order to make sure there is money available for recruitment I've moved this phase to the biggining. The AI will recruit 1 guard each turn if they aren't already at the max. They pay for the guard normally but they place them face down to show that the guard can't be activated this turn. At the end of the guard turn stand up the figure and roll a d6 for its starting facing (see notes on direction and facing below).

Activation phase- Now draw a card for each activation token and activate guards based on the cards. Place an activation token next to a guard every time you activate it to mark how many activations they have had.

Guard actions priority list:

Actions:

If in visual range Detect or Attack ninja

If not in range Alert or Move

Alert - if guard is alert and within range of unalerted guard... Alert the guard.

Move -

-If sound token in sector move towards sound

-If no sound move random - roll d6 and compare results to the models facing
1 is forward, 2 is right, 3 is back, 4 is left, 5&6 is towards nearest ninja

-If the guard runs into a dead end... stop movement and turn around

Notes:

Direction and facing on spawn - roll a D6 and use the same results chart for moving but the board edge the player is sitting at is considered forward.

Problems - the biggest challenge has been balancing the spawning rate. I've currently limited the recruitment to 1 guard per turn because the balance can get thrown off by how many free spawning cards are in the guard deck.

When picking a guard to activate if multiple guards fit the description (same priority or distance) then the ninja player gets to choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very Stout
United States
Back and to the Left-
Up a Bit, Perfect
flag msg tools
An old liberal optimist
badge
An Elf, a Human, and a Dwarf walk into a bar...
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like a very good start.

Maybe just a list and percentile dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Kage assassination force

Here's my latest take on solo play. It takes the best of Assasinorum execution force and Rise of the Kage. The AI movement and spawning is handled by the AEF board and event cards and the attacks, action resolution, and equipment are based off rise of the Kage.

The AI run very smoothly based on the marks on the board. The only problem was detection felt too clumsy. My solution is to treat the area of influence as the range at which they auto detect ninjas. So if a ninja crosses their LOS outside that range they make a detection check... Inside that range detection is automatic.

Guard AI draw 1 event + 1 for each alerted guard (max5). Each guard gets one move and Attack action each turn. Noise tokens can be used to give guards extra Attacks. Unalerted guards also get to try and detect a ninja if they make noise withing it's area of influence. Guards are automatically alerted if another guard Attacks or dies within their area of influence.

Exfiltration - once the mission is revealed draw an escape card to see which exit/spawn point you must exit through. Because the exit points are spawn points there is a good chance guards will block your path as you race to escape.

Replayability- the variety of missions allows for a lot of variety in how each session plays out even though there is only 1 map layout. There are 12 rooms so I use 3 objective sets... 2 normal and 1 trap. Place an objective marker in each room (usually in the far corner). I also spawn the boss on the exit location when it is revealed to make sure the ninjas have to face off against him....

Spawning
Yellow= Cultist with pistol
Amber= Cultist with rifle
Red= Space marine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Nico
msg tools
mermuse wrote:
I'm not ready to introduce the game to my gaming group till I can figure out how to get the game to flow quickly and feel balanced. In order to do this I've been trying to play lots of solo games. This is the system I'm using to drive the AI.

Core concepts:

I'm using a simple deck of cards to drive the AI. The deck is from the Mars Attack kickstarter but it would be very easy to create your own. Each card either tells which figure to activate or tells you to draw and play a guard card.

The activation cards have 2 sections of information. The sector to activate from (left/center/right) and the figure to activate (nearest/farthest/most powerful). So if the card says left and farthest I look for the guard that is farthest away from any of my ninjas in the left section of the board and activate them.

Example cards...

Left nearest
Center most powerful
Draw card
Left farthest

One of the core concepts I wanted to capture is that the guards shouldn't be able to just move straight at the ninjas positions if they aren't making lots of noise. In order to capture this feel the ninjas move randomly if there is no noise token in their sector. This mechanic is inspired by the GW stealth coop game Assasinorum Execution Force.

Phases:

Recruitment phase- In order to make sure there is money available for recruitment I've moved this phase to the biggining. The AI will recruit 1 guard each turn if they aren't already at the max. They pay for the guard normally but they place them face down to show that the guard can't be activated this turn. At the end of the guard turn stand up the figure and roll a d6 for its starting facing (see notes on direction and facing below).

Activation phase- Now draw a card for each activation token and activate guards based on the cards. Place an activation token next to a guard every time you activate it to mark how many activations they have had.

Guard actions priority list:

Actions:

If in visual range Detect or Attack ninja

If not in range Alert or Move

Alert - if guard is alert and within range of unalerted guard... Alert the guard.

Move -

-If sound token in sector move towards sound

-If no sound move random - roll d6 and compare results to the models facing
1 is forward, 2 is right, 3 is back, 4 is left, 5&6 is towards nearest ninja

-If the guard runs into a dead end... stop movement and turn around

Notes:

Direction and facing on spawn - roll a D6 and use the same results chart for moving but the board edge the player is sitting at is considered forward.

Problems - the biggest challenge has been balancing the spawning rate. I've currently limited the recruitment to 1 guard per turn because the balance can get thrown off by how many free spawning cards are in the guard deck.

When picking a guard to activate if multiple guards fit the description (same priority or distance) then the ninja player gets to choose.

Really interesting, I don't Know the others games so i will take a look to better understand the mecanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.