Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Champie
United States
Eureka
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The FFG faithful among us have doubtless noticed this earlier, and if so I'd like to hear what you guys think.

It's no secret that Descent has been culling it's art and characters from other Fantasy Flight games. The entire cast from the base game was ripped from Runebound and the Isle of Dread expansion; the same names, art, and miniatures. Granted, this was explained away because it's supposed to be the same universe. The Well of Darkness expansion brought 6 new characters: half took their minis from the reprint of Drakon and their art from the box cover (which itself was cut in half and pulls double-duty for Altar of Despair [also look at Brother Glyr's hammer: WAY, WAY out of scale. This is the kind of thing that keeps me up at night people!]); the other half used the art from the base game's box, but brought their own miniatures. Also, I'm fairly sure a healthy portion, if not all, of the item deck's art is culled from Runebound. I've only played the base game in person, but I'm assuming it's a pattern.

Now, with the pictures that have been uploaded (and as I suspected prior to seeing them/hearing their names), we can be sure that the next batch of characters is again taken from the next Runebound "arabian knights" themed expansion; names, art, and miniatures whole. I'm sorry, but the theme seems a little forced. Not like we have sand tiles, desert tombs, scarab monsters, flying carpets, and other arabic cliches to work with.

You could in fact argue that the 3 characters from the base game's cover are the only true Descent originals! (I wonder if they'll appear in the next Runebound expansion winkwink)

To be fair, I'm not really complaining. I understand why the game is $80 and it's expansions cost more than many games themselves; I'm getting a truckload for what I pay. I also understand that every time FFG decides to recycle it's art and characters, that means I get another sheet of counters, or another half-pound of plastic minatures.

But personally, I'd like to see a change next time. You KNOW there's going to be a next time, or else I'm just hoping. Aren't we due sometime for a campaign box? Why not pack it with a fresh batch of Descent originals! By all means feel free to ship them later as part of a Runebound expansion, but give us Descent diehards something to chew on!

We currently have 3 Descent originals in the game. A set of 6 more couldn't hurt! They could be better themed with Descent in mind; 6 paltry portraits, some of which could be on the box lid and everything!

Now I'm just babbling. What do you folks think? Is recycled art worth it's weight in plastic? Or would you appreciate characters who's theme fit naturally with the rest of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Never had a problem with it, myself. And I don't feel any disconnect between the characters and the theme. If they're turning the money saved into extra stuff, all the better IMO.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Octavian; I'm paying for the game, not for the art. As long as the art looks good and is suitable to the game, which all of this is, it works great for me.
If anything, we should be overjoyed that Runebound has so much unique art on all the cards, and that there's more than enough for Descent to share. Man, with all the expansions, there must be at least a thousand different cards and different paintings for Runebound. That's really quite impressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too have no problem with it - more for my money, fantastic! The only thing that would bother me is if they come out with a wholly Arabian theme, I don't mind a Djinn or a Sinbad type character popping up (or shogun type, mohican warrior - whatever), but I like the idea of it being a "general" fantasy setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Johnson
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem at all here either.

I don't play runebound so i don't even notice...but even if i did play runebound i would care in the slightest.

Especially compared to the crappy software (video games) that are getting released for 40-60 bucks a pop. 80 bucks for descent is nothing when compared for fun value.

Bring on them expansion 2 a year with recycled anything you want and they got my money

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own every FFG game and Drakon is really not on my list for purchase. I did notice that FFG sculpts and art are swapped a bit among their games but, eh, so what? Tons of Euros use the same colored wooden cubes and disks from title to title and no one complains about that. At least FFG games swap good sculpts and good art among their cool, Runebound-melieu games!

...And think about all the GW sculpts that were used over and over for Space Hulk and Space Crusade and their spinoffs. Folks scour shops and e-tailers looking for those!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both RUnebound and Descent and the fact that heroes are the same in both games as well as items, treasures and anything else is the last of my concerns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Appleton
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's actually an advantage - if one of my Runebound minis goes missing or is damaged, I can swap in the Descent one, and vice versa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Scuzball wrote:
Why not pack it with a fresh batch of Descent originals! By all means feel free to ship them later as part of a Runebound expansion, but give us Descent diehards something to chew on!

Actually, Isle of Dread came out after Descent, so the characters in there were originally from Descent.

A side note: the much of the art in Runebound came from Vortex.

Mike Z
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Crockett
United States
Bridgewater
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I like the fact that they recycle art on mimiatures (esp. for the heroes) it makes it a lot easier to distinguish the figurines from across a table if both games use the same minis, you only have to learn them/their names once. Sounds like laziness, I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
So very late to the game, but I think the point is that Descent and Runebound share an universe, and therefore the figures, monsters and art are also shared. At one point, IIRC, it was planned to have the Runebound map integrate with Descent to provide overland travel and encounters, as a campaign expansion. Don't think this ever went anywhere, but it would have been interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the previous poster - I've played both games and I guess I always just assumed that these two games shared the same world. I thoguht it was kind of cool to take the heroes from Runebound and put them into a small party, team-based adventure. The minis are nice, the artwork is nice... how many different pictures of swords, bows and shields do we need anyway, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.