Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Scholes
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the KS comments "MP63", a backer in France, expressed what I wish I'd said: "[T]he 7th continent is not just vaste land to discover. It's a whole universe in which you are pleased to come back."

Although there are many references to the "choose your own adventure" books, this game is much more varied and thematically richer. The PnP showed that it is not just the geography. It is how many different ways there are to experience each bit of it.

There are now 923 exploration cards. Based on what we've seen so far, they average at least three actions each. That is almost 2,800 decision points, not counting hidden numbers, word puzzles, random events, etc.

Each decision will potentially lead you through the continent on a different route. Even with excellent spatial reasoning and memory you will not remember everything. Just wandering about to see what leads where will be thoroughly enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Reading the title of this made me realize just how easily this rule set could be applied to all sorts of different themes - just like the Choose Your Own Adventure books did.

Smaller modules designed to have some replay-ability but not quite an entire continent in scope like:

A Haunted House
A Mission to Mars
An Underwater Sea Lab
Ancient Greek Mythic Adventures
Time Traveling

I hope they've locked down the rights to this system...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Scholes
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope so too. And that Serous Polup produces all you have suggested and more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CheddarLimbo wrote:

Being a fan of open systems, and a hater of patents, I kind of hope they haven't locked anything down besides the copyrights and trademarks. But I very much hope they develop it as you suggest. Or that someone else does, if they don't. A space-based version (with friendly aliens) would be awesome, and would probably convince my wife to buy in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedant Post:

I get where you are coming from but I think you've gone awry with your numbers.

In the PnP we were given 22 Exploration Cards (Green/Gold). These cards averaged less than 1 "new" action per card ("new" being used to point out that cards that come into play when you discover a hidden number only provide 1 "new" action)

Not all of the exploration cards will be terrain, so 923 x 3 isn't quite right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CheddarLimbo wrote:
Reading the title of this made me realize just how easily this rule set could be applied to all sorts of different themes - just like the Choose Your Own Adventure books did.

Smaller modules designed to have some replay-ability but not quite an entire continent in scope like:

A Haunted House
A Mission to Mars
An Underwater Sea Lab
Time Traveling

i was thinking about this for a spatial exploration game,where you explore galaxies and planets...using you fuel/energy to move from tile to tile,landing on planet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
* J *
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stretch Goat! Still makes me smile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Rugolo
msg tools
CheddarLimbo wrote:

A Haunted House
A Mission to Mars
An Underwater Sea Lab
Time Traveling

As soon as I read about 7th Continent, I started thinking about how well this type of game could be applied to the super hero genre. Imagine instead of curses shuffled in you could shuffle in cards representing different super villains...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Waller
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bankrupt wrote:
There are now 923 exploration cards. Based on what we've seen so far, they average at least three actions each. That is almost 2,800 decision points

I wonder how many of those decisions that are actually a simple matter of choosing the order but doing everything anyway.

Partly it will come down to how limiting the action deck resource is; will the short supply force you to really choose what you want to do, or will you mostly be able to do everything?

Also; in a comparable adventure video game most of us probably would explore every nook and cranny. But on the 7th continent the random events and random picking of same-numbered exploration cards guarantee that you won't see everything anyway, which might be enough to counter that urge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christel Puech
France
Sauve
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
CheddarLimbo wrote:

Being a fan of open systems, and a hater of patents, I kind of hope they haven't locked anything down besides the copyrights and trademarks. But I very much hope they develop it as you suggest. Or that someone else does, if they don't. A space-based version (with friendly aliens) would be awesome, and would probably convince my wife to buy in.

In few words.

In France, you couldn't copyright a concept or an idea, you could only copyright a technical/ingeniering system. So, if I invent the "wheel", I couldn't copyright the "wheel" itself but i could copyright the technic process that I use to create the "wheel".

So maybe this game could inspire some others games developpers like Dominion/Magic have inspired (and continue to) many others games developper.

And maybe The 7th Continent is the first chapter of a long and prolific serie by Serious Poulp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Scholes
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"And maybe 7th Continent is the first chapter of a long and prolific serie by Serious Poulp."

+100
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.