Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are games that are:
-card driven games with multi-use cards
-euro games with a race element
-can play 2 to 4 players
-has people talking about the artwork

To those that have played both, which did you prefer and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and enjoy both.

I think that Inhabit the Earth has more longevity. Lewis and Clark is hard to play with newbies and it can sag in the end game if you've been left behind. Inhabit the Earth conceals this better.

Both games are equally prone to AP. No differentiation there.

L&C has the inventory management puzzle, which has it's positives and negatives. I liked it, but other people sat there going "so we're playing a racing game are we???". ItE has none of that, but has lots of scoring cards and special powers.

Both are excellent games, though I'm giving the edge to ItE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Vos
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eeeville wrote:
Both are games that are:
-card driven games with multi-use cards
-euro games with a race element
-can play 2 to 4 players
-has people talking about the artwork

To those that have played both, which did you prefer and why?

You forgot:
- both feature a board
- both have some animals in them

The comparisons between the two games really stop after your second point. The 3rd/4th point really apply to about 80% of the games on the geek.

Having said that.

I have played Lewis & Clark (LC) & Inhabit the Earth (ITE) both 3 times.
They both feel very different.

Race game?
LC is a pure race game. Reach the finish first and you win. ITE is a creature-building, icon-matching puzzle-like game that ends when two creatures have reached the end of a track. The race is in getting ahead of your opponents to grab bonus tiles (though all bonus spots also give a bonus tile to the 2nd player). Theoretically, you can win the game without really advancing too much on the tracks, and focusing more on end game scoring tiles (I say theoretically, cause I don't think that happens too often (racing forward is just too rewarding), but it can help you give some additional points though).

Cards that do multiple stuff?
In LC each card has 2 uses: a special action, and a powerup action used to power up other cards (depending on the number of indians on the card).
In ITE, each card can be used in 5 different ways: 1) as payment for a menagerie action, 2) as a trigger for movement 3) to multiply a creature (tuck underneath), 4) to evolve a creature (place on top), and 5) to adapt a creature (flip and tuck underneath). Each has its benefits and sometimes also drawbacks.

Main focus/choices in the game:
In LC, every card that you acquire is one that you choose to acquire. All information is open and planning revolves around acquiring the right card at the right time, getting resources and native americans at the right time, playing cards at the right time and powering them with the right cards, and initiating movement and setting camp at the most optimal time. Combining short-term with long-term planning.
In ITE, you don't get to choose which cards you acquire. At the start of the game all cards that you draw (through a breeding action) are level 1. Then later (if one creature of anyone reaches level 2) also cards of level 2, and near the end of the game also cards of level 3. ITE mostly evolves (pun intended) around making the best of the cards that you draw. As each card has 5 ways to use it, there is often a best way to go about things, but this can be quite a puzzle. This is where the meat of the game is: Adapating/evolving/multiplying your animals so that they are best equipped to travel through their continent (and if not, migrate them) and then making sure to have a card left to activate as many creatures as possible.
So, whereas LC is really a game of timing and planning, ITE is more a game of short-term hand/menagerie management with a strong puzzle-like element.
I'd say that for that reason, luck plays a larger role in ITE, but there is plenty of room for skill, I suspect.

Analysis Paralysis and play time.
Both games can feature quite a bit of AP. Intuitively, LC is the easier game, but because so much information is open and because you want to make a plan of what to do with every card in your hand, it sometimes comes to a grinding halt.
ITE has a steeper learning curve, but my feeling is that when you get the hang of all the possible actions, the number of good options sharply decreases and the game becomes much easier.
My estimate is that with LC, play time won't really decrease much over time (in fact, it might in some cases increase when analyses become deeper), whereas ITE will definitely decrease in play time.

Interaction:
Both feature a reasonable level of (mostly indirect) interaction. In LC it is in resource gathering, the racing element, the taking stuff so others can't etc.
In ITE it is in racing to bonuses before your opponents get there, and in some end game scoring cards.
Playing the games, though, it feels like there is a lot more interaction in LC, while in ITE you're mostly just managing your own menagerie.

Artwork:
I find LC absolutely gorgeous, from the card art to (especially) the board. I find ITE very mediocre (the animals look like they took a few pills). ITE is very functional though, just wished it looked a bit better.

Overall, I rate LC a 9, and ITE a 7.5. Both are pretty good games, but LC just offers more of what I want from a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uisge Beatha
Scotland
flag msg tools
Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 - 84.7% turnout
badge
Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 - 84.7% turnout
mb

Great analysis.

I don't think I'd disagree with any of it, but I'm not such a big fan of L&C and am a bit more impressed with the potential of ItE. I need to pay ItE more tho be sure but I suspect my final ratings will be the same as yours, but the other way around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Great War Commander, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander Europe, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Combat Commander Pacific
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Celtic wrote:

Great analysis.

I don't think I'd disagree with any of it, but I'm not such a big fan of L&C and am a bit more impressed with the potential of ItE. I need to pay ItE more tho be sure but I suspect my final ratings will be the same as yours, but the other way around.

Ditto. L&C just didn't do it for me for some reason. There didn't seem to be as much depth(?) as ItE seems to be offering. The artwork/design in L&C was simply beautiful though. I gave L&C a weak 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The comments I've read have compared Inhabit the Earth to Lewis & Clark and Race for the Galaxy more than any other game. 3 of my 5 highest-rated games are Lewis & Clark, Race for the Galaxy, and Keyflower. So in my case, I'm very happy to read that there might be some similarities!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.