Hide
5 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Solo Gameplay rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Kilcommons
msg tools
Hey all. Began tweaking the game to see if I could make a solo variant for the game that would both work and still provide a level of fun and intrigue to the game. Here is what I came up with:

Human Perception: After every character has been cycled through and play has one around the table a dice is rolled for each character. On a die roll of 1-2 the character is suspected of being a Cylon. At that point whatever is the most expedient way of eliminating/suspending the character (execution or Brig) would take place (Cally's special ability, Airlock, etc.) but it has to take place via a character on the next cycle of play. If the character is a Cylon and nothing takes place by the time it is the Cylon's character's turn then they reveal themselves to be a Cylon and go to the Resurrection Ship. If not they are either executed or put in the Brig. A die roll determines which one (1-4 execute, 5-6 put in the Brig. Thinking here is that like in the show paranoia has seeped into the crew and anyone suspected of being a Cylon is liable to killed even if they are innocent)

Each character can modify the result of the die through actions that have been taken previously. Any action that would help the human fleet (such as choosing to boost a resource or move civilian ships away from raiders, etc.) would result in +1 being added to the dice (these are stackable no limit to the +1 modifier). Any negative actions (siphoning off resources, picking bad destinations, playing 0 cards into a skill check (unless otherwise stated on your sheet), playing Quorum cards that result in a negative for the human fleet, concentrating both President and Admiral titles in your hand, etc.) leads to a -1 modifier (same rule as +1).

So far I played 1 game with this rule and it was interesting. Ellen Tigh was a Cylon and was suspected of being one but revealed herself and went to the Resurrection Ship (massive Cylon attack underway and I figured it was more expedient to protect the fleet and Galactica/Pegasus and deal with the Ellen Cylon later). Roslin was also a Cylon but kept herself out of the game and was quiet (focused mainly on acquiring Quorum cards and did just enough to avoid suspicion). Human's eventually won the game although our food dropped down to 2. Cally was sent to the Brig at one point (she was the mutineer).

So far the mechanic seems to work and was genuinely fun to play with. Any and all feedback/testing of your own with this would be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pereira
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is already a solo Official variant to the game.

I don't even bother trying, in BSG what I like the most it's playing people, the paranoia. That's impossible at solo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it!

I tried my own solitaire variant but it didn't incorporate any paranoia. This may be worth trying.

Question: any recommended number of characters? I would assume 5 since I think that works best or do you think it would work with any number of characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kilcommons
msg tools
Usually I play with 6 but it could probably work with any number of characters. Hope you like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidallves wrote:
There is already a solo Official variant to the game.

I don't even bother trying, in BSG what I like the most it's playing people, the paranoia. That's impossible at solo
I prefer to play it with people too. For that matter, I much prefer to play it IRL vs. PBF (no offense to the BGG community), but I'll happily "settle" for PBF as well.

However, I really do enjoy the mechanics in BSG. If I wanted more paranoia, I'd play Werewolf or Resistance (which I don't) which focuses on just that. Furthermore, I'm down to 1 game every year to every few years, so I may be desperate enough to try another solo variant!

Also, the official solo game doesn't really do anything with expansions, and could really use difficulty levels, like with any fully-co-op game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.