Brian Chaon
United States
Cottage Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew I was leaving something important out in my planning. I almost forgot to say something on BoardGameGeek, where all the cool people are.

Pandering aside. I have been working on a cooperative survival card game for up to 8 players and I am excited to announce that I will be bringing it to KickStarter very very soon. I have the page ready to submit as soon as I do a video for it.

The game itself puts players in the scenario of a camped-out group of survivors in a devastated city that must scavenge and loot in order to survive. You will face perilous events, meet people good and bad, and hope that each card you reveal is a good one.

Each play testing group has had a blast and we have hit a good balance with the game and I am ready to get it out there. Feel free to ask any questions that you would like.

The game is now on Kickstarter!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zeven81/no-hope-city-a-...

Here is the Facebook Page

https://www.facebook.com/nohopecitygame

Thank you for checking it out
- Brian Chaon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Pre-Kickstarter Build-Up for No Hope City - A Co-op Survival Card Game
Looks interesting, I think you should get it onto BGG before you launch though. I like the pictures showing how the cards have progressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Chaon
United States
Cottage Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is now up on Kickstarter! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zeven81/no-hope-city-a-...

I am not sure where to go on BGG to get it onto BGG. Any help will be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go here to submit a game to the BGG Database.

Full link: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/item/create/boardgame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like it could be a fun game, but I think you're missing a couple key elements on your KS page:

- No outside reviews
- No description of gameplay
- No rulebook to download
- No PNP version to try it with

Any one of the first three are usually 'deal breakers' for me in deciding whether to back a KS project or not. You might want to think about cancelling the project and re-launching in the spring.

Either way, good luck with your project!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vel
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed with the others, I don't back a game without watching a walk through video of the game, and some info (found on a BGG page). Definitely looks interesting though, hopefully if this doesn't make it, you will do a relaunch with some more preparation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Chaon
United States
Cottage Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will have to look a little deeper into this.
There is a Gameplay section and a video overview of how the game works? Do I just fail at making it make sense?

I am working on a testing kit with the new graphic design. The art for the card images will not be finished though. I don't want to make my artist do all of the drawings until I know I can pay him for his time. Would placeholder images work for these cards?

I have quotes from my playtesters. But I assume, by reviews you want actual game reviewers to review it... I don't know if I can get reviews done in time for the campaign, but if I have to do it a second time I will definitely have that all set up.

Thank you guys so much for helping me figure this out!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The things I listed as important are all built around the idea that the main problem with most kickstarter games is that they aren't tested heavily enough or vetted enough or maybe just not fun. So

1. The gameplay video is a different beast than the instructional video you have here. Your overview and instruction video are fine -- a gameplay video shows people playing the game. It gives a sense of what it's like to play and how the pacing works.

2. The rule set is another crucial piece. If I can't figure out how the game should work from the rules, that's another tough one.

3. The independent reviewers are a separate channel, an outside person verifying that your game is fun. While I'm sure all the playtester quotes you offer are legit, they learned the game from you and maybe know you, so they're likely to be more enthusiastic than an independent person.

The reviews will be the hardest to get quickly, for sure. Good luck, man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Chaon
United States
Cottage Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what you are saying. I may have jumped the gun on the posting the project. I am going to be working towards these goals. I have a few independent reviewers that have offered to review my game, I just need to get a distributable print and play version ready.

Even if I did jump the gun a bit, I am learning a lot though just making the attempt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeven wrote:
Even if I did jump the gun a bit, I am learning a lot though just making the attempt.

Very true. And there's no shame or harm in a do-over. I look at Trove: The Crystal Caverns for inspiration, myself.

You may want to look into letting the kickstarter finish and fail (though hopefully not) vs. cancelling it. The rumor is that if you cancel the project, it doesn't come up in the search results anymore (though it still appears on your account if someone looks at your Created Projects), but if you let the project finish, it will still show up in the search results. I don't know for sure if this is true.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
You may want to look into letting the kickstarter finish and fail (though hopefully not) vs. cancelling it. The rumor is that if you cancel the project, it doesn't come up in the search results anymore (though it still appears on your account if someone looks at your Created Projects), but if you let the project finish, it will still show up in the search results. I don't know for sure if this is true.

It's not. Canceled projects still show in search results. Search for Greatest of All Mountains or Tau Ceti: Planetary Crisis, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Chaon
United States
Cottage Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it would be best to ride it out in hopes that it does make the goal while working on the other items?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AmadanNaBriona wrote:
It's not. Canceled projects still show in search results. Search for Greatest of All Mountains or Tau Ceti: Planetary Crisis, for example.

Huh, thanks for pointing that out! This is definitely a change in the algorithm -- I remember testing this out when I first read it on Jamey Stegmaier's blog about whether to cancel or finish and finding that it worked that way.

Dang internet -- always changing on me. yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Chaon
United States
Cottage Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I got close to funding. But did not quite make it.
But do not give up hope, I will be relaunching it again soon.
First thing is that I will get some third party previews done and ready for the listing.

Any suggestions for Backer Rewards, things you like or that others like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.