Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Grand Austria Hotel» Forums » Rules

Subject: Finishing the same group of rooms multiple times rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Because of the negative effects on emperor tiles it is possible to lose an occupied room in a completed group. However, the rules state the following:

Quote:
Each group provides its bonus only once, in the moment you turn the
last Room tile in that group.


This would have me believe that I cannot gain the bonus again, but there is no method provided for tracking which groups have already scored.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Shaw

Central
msg tools
mbmb
JonBen wrote:
Because of the negative effects on emperor tiles it is possible to lose an occupied room in a completed group. However, the rules state the following:

Quote:
Each group provides its bonus only once, in the moment you turn the
last Room tile in that group.


This would have me believe that I cannot gain the bonus again, but there is no method provided for tracking which groups have already scored.


Had the same question - thanks for posting. Hopefully someone will have the answer!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janez Lužar
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same question here.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk H
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
I write about games...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBen wrote:
Because of the negative effects on emperor tiles it is possible to lose an occupied room in a completed group. However, the rules state the following:

Quote:
Each group provides its bonus only once, in the moment you turn the
last Room tile in that group.


This would have me believe that I cannot gain the bonus again, but there is no method provided for tracking which groups have already scored.


Very good question! I haven't got my gaming stuff around at the moment, but i have the impression, that the loss of a room tile is only possible in the last round of the emperor scoring. If I am right with this (based on what I remember right now without proving it with the rules or game components) imho it would not be possible to complete more rooms after that loss which is based on the emperor scoring. Or am I not taking something into account?

Dirk
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk H
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
I write about games...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dickie77 wrote:
JonBen wrote:
Because of the negative effects on emperor tiles it is possible to lose an occupied room in a completed group. However, the rules state the following:

Quote:
Each group provides its bonus only once, in the moment you turn the
last Room tile in that group.


This would have me believe that I cannot gain the bonus again, but there is no method provided for tracking which groups have already scored.


Very good question! I haven't got my gaming stuff around at the moment, but i have the impression, that the loss of a room tile is only possible in the last round of the emperor scoring. If I am right with this (based on what I remember right now without proving it with the rules or game components) imho it would not be possible to complete more rooms after that loss which is based on the emperor scoring. Or am I not taking something into account?

Dirk


Just checked the rules and there is a "B"-tile too with this penalty. The question remains open...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Stadler
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You get the bonus for a completed group each time you complete this group. (usually once, but in connection with the mentioned emperor tiles it can happen up to 3 times).

The quoted rule is not precise enough (sorry for that).
In the tests some players misinterpreted the rule and tried to gain bonus for completed groups each round, so I wanted to explain, that you get the bonus only in the moment you complete a group. But in connection with the emperor tiles it's not texted precise enough. we will change it with the next print run.

Stefan Stadler
Lookout Games
27 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Shaw

Central
msg tools
mbmb
Stefan Stadler wrote:
You get the bonus for a completed group each time you complete this group. (usually once, but in connection with the mentioned emperor tiles it can happen up to 3 times).

The quoted rule is not precise enough (sorry for that).
In the tests some players misinterpreted the rule and tried to gain bonus for completed groups each round, so I wanted to explain, that you get the bonus only in the moment you complete a group. But in connection with the emperor tiles it's not texted precise enough. we will change it with the next print run.

Stefan Stadler
Lookout Games


Thanks for clarifying, Stefan. The headaches of player interpretation and rulebook production, eh?!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Rodríguez
Spain
Terrassa
flag msg tools
badge
I like turtles!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I still don't get this very well. Let's say I close a yellow group of three rooms, so I get to move the 6 advancement points on the ET. So if I close a second group of three yellow rooms, a different group from the first, do I get to move 6 more advancement points on the ET?

The way we have been playing is that once you close a yellow group of three rooms you cannot get the bonus when closing a new group of three yellow rooms.

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexanauta wrote:
I still don't get this very well. Let's say I close a yellow group of three rooms, so I get to move the 6 advancement points on the ET. So if I close a second group of three yellow rooms, a different group from the first, do I get to move 6 more advancement points on the ET?

The way we have been playing is that once you close a yellow group of three rooms you cannot get the bonus when closing a new group of three yellow rooms.

Thanks!


Obviously, you get the bonus each time you close any group of rooms of any size... why would you think otherwise? nothing in the rules says that you don't!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Rodríguez
Spain
Terrassa
flag msg tools
badge
I like turtles!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
Hexanauta wrote:
I still don't get this very well. Let's say I close a yellow group of three rooms, so I get to move the 6 advancement points on the ET. So if I close a second group of three yellow rooms, a different group from the first, do I get to move 6 more advancement points on the ET?

The way we have been playing is that once you close a yellow group of three rooms you cannot get the bonus when closing a new group of three yellow rooms.

Thanks!


Obviously, you get the bonus each time you close any group of rooms of any size... why would you think otherwise? nothing in the rules says that you don't!


Not sure, perhaps my own wrong interpretation of "each group provides its bonus only once"

Thanks for your help Paulo, have a good weekend!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexanauta wrote:
Muse23PT wrote:
Hexanauta wrote:
I still don't get this very well. Let's say I close a yellow group of three rooms, so I get to move the 6 advancement points on the ET. So if I close a second group of three yellow rooms, a different group from the first, do I get to move 6 more advancement points on the ET?

The way we have been playing is that once you close a yellow group of three rooms you cannot get the bonus when closing a new group of three yellow rooms.

Thanks!


Obviously, you get the bonus each time you close any group of rooms of any size... why would you think otherwise? nothing in the rules says that you don't!


Not sure, perhaps my own wrong interpretation of "each group provides its bonus only once"

Thanks for your help Paulo, have a good weekend!


Will do... gonna play some games tomorrow Have a nice one too
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert
Netherlands
Den Haag
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This entire situation is not possible. The only way you can lose an occupied room is at the end of round 7, and there are no turns left to build the room again.

The emperor penalty after round 5 states that you have to remove unoccupied rooms. For these rooms you have not yet had a bonus for completing the group (which only triggers for completed groups of occupied rooms), so you will not be in a situation that you get the bonus twice.


Edit: There seems to be an erratum in the English rules. The emperor tile in pile B (for round 5) says you have to remove two unoccupied rooms. However, the symbol seems to suggest that you should remove one occupied rooms.
I checked the German rules, and they even say "zwei belegte Räume", meaning you should remove two occupied rooms.

So I guess there are three options here, I would really like to hear which is the correct one.

The one from the German rules seems incorrect because that penalty would be more severe than the penalty from the C-pile.


Dickie77 wrote:


Just checked the rules and there is a "B"-tile too with this penalty. The question remains open...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
I'm holding out for a Euro 'til the end of the ni-ight...
badge
Misumena vatia
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So... if you lose rooms that were part of a completed group, would you also lose the associated bonus? This would seem logical if the bonus is available to claim again.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slprince wrote:
So... if you lose rooms that were part of a completed group, would you also lose the associated bonus? This would seem logical if the bonus is available to claim again.


nope... you might not even have the bonus anymore if it was money or advancements on the emperor track
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
I'm holding out for a Euro 'til the end of the ni-ight...
badge
Misumena vatia
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
slprince wrote:
So... if you lose rooms that were part of a completed group, would you also lose the associated bonus? This would seem logical if the bonus is available to claim again.


nope... you might not even have the bonus anymore if it was money or advancements on the emperor track


Yeah, that's exactly why I was wondering.

I think I might just house rule this one and play with no repeat bonuses.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.