9 Posts

Sword & Sorcery» Forums » General

Subject: Questions after playing with the demo a bit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Prieur
Canada
flag msg tools
So I've been playing with the demo a bit and here are a few points and questions.

1) For Shae she really only get 1 talent power at level 1? No class power?

2) In the first scenario the critters target the hero with the most gold. They will hit you at some point and take your gold. So you basically kill your first green guy and get 5 golds. Then 30 sec later you get attacked again and lose that gold. Solution? Leave your gold on the ground and pick it up after the fight and carefully hide it somewhere before your next fight. And I just reread the rules and it's all done as a free action. Anyway this feels slightly retarded that you are rewarded for doing that. I understand you can use the gold as a way to influence the priority targetting but still.

It also feels very bad to immedialy lose your gold 5 minutes after your first game has started. I'm already hearing myself explaininig this to new players I'm showing the game to: 'Yeah leave the gold on the ground, it's safer that way if not they will steal it and we will lose that gold', etc.

3) I rule I keep forgetting that also semi bother me is the maximum amount of dice you can use for defense against hits. One of the basic armor get 3 blues dices for defense but for example when you get hit by the spine attack it's 2 hits so you 'lose' 1 dice of defense. What's the logic behind that? Was it too easy to stack defense? Is it to simply reduce the power or armor? It seem btw that if you don't take any armor in your first 2 stack items you are pretty fucked.

Overall I like what I'm seeying and I really like the fact you can demo the game on tabletopia.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

1)Shae Rogue starts with 1 power + 1 Talent (not just one talent cool )

2) Gremlins are the first monster of the game, and soon you will learn that carrying money is an easy way to "manage" them, even when there is no "taunt" hero in the party.

3) about def dice, you must roll 1 dice for each hit until you reach the maximum value for your armour.
Please remember that when you visit the emporium you have access to all items in your stash.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joltin' Joe
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eprieur wrote:
So I've been playing with the demo a bit and here are a few points and questions.

1) For Shae she really only get 1 talent power at level 1? No class power?

2) It seem btw that if you don't take any armor in your first 2 stack items you are pretty fucked.

Overall I like what I'm seeying and I really like the fact you can demo the game on tabletopia.

Thanks!

I played that wrong, too. I only gave Shae 1 power and no talent. That made it very hard.

And yes, I tried twice in the demo with the ranger trying 2 weapons to dual wield, and no armor, and... yep, fucked.

I'd also say if you don't take some talent/power that heals, you're also pretty fucked.

I think as an intro scenario, it's probably too hard. I know my group would rather play a game that is not so finely tuned that if you don't take just the right group or talents, that you fail. That's more of a puzzle game than a dungeon crawl.

I just loaded up the Chaos party from Tabletopia and even with the dwarf using a hammer and mail, giving the other two some armor, I still barely finished the first fight against 2 blue gremlins with 1 death and the dwarf at 1 hp. No heals available. My other try, a trap teleported the dwarf to the spawn point, which revealed FOUR shadows, and 4 enemies swarmed onto the board. With the supremacy bonus, and the blue gremlins exploding for 2 hits whenever you damage them, it was a total rout very quickly. All players dead.

I'm going to give it a couple more chances before I give up, though. As an intro scenario, it already seems tuned too hard, though. The first scenario should be hard to lose, and made to ease people into the mechanics and rules. Wiping repeatedly on the intro will just turn my group off to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Prieur
Canada
flag msg tools
Playing another time and right now I'm at the spot where you have 2 fire 2 tokens on events C and D on the map.

What exactly happens when I step on those? Save or else get a fire 2? Pick the fire 2 on the ground? I only have 5 tokens total meaning if you have 3 heroes caught on fire you don't have enough tokens.

I'm checking the rules and can't find anything exact on that.

I'm also leaning on the side of it's kinda too hard for the first scenario. Right now I'm doing ok but I took the heal which seem a must, have 2 armor and was very cautious overall and it's my like 5th time trying the start of the scenario. But still if you move 1 character in range of a shadow that spawn 2 blues and they both attack the 2nd one will get +2 to hit due to domination + the bonus from banding (which kinda seem redundant with domination btw). A bit unlucky on armor there and someone will die instantly pretty much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Licious
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
eprieur wrote:
Playing another time and right now I'm at the spot where you have 2 fire 2 tokens on events C and D on the map.

What exactly happens when I step on those? Save or else get a fire 2? Pick the fire 2 on the ground? I only have 5 tokens total meaning if you have 3 heroes caught on fire you don't have enough tokens.

I'm checking the rules and can't find anything exact on that.

Fire can also be present as a standalone token in one or more areas
of the map. In this case, each character moving into those areas
immediately suffers the same fire effect (i.e. taking the relative fire
token). The Fire token on the map remains until discarded during the
relative time phase; it is flipped/discarded just like fire on a character,
even if it does not damage anyone with its effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
About the difficulty, please remember that is is a beta, many things change, but we will not update Tabletopia for now, it will be updated once the game will be finalised.
A couple of examples are:
+ Laegon Ranger can now use the Dual Wild as a FREE activity (instead of Action).
+ When a hero moves over the first waypoint he can draw up to 3 cards (instead of 2) spending the action.

In any case our plan is to maintain S&S a challenging game, but challenging does not mean impossibile or beatable with a few combinations, so don't worry about this aspect, everything will be balanced when the game will be delivered
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Prieur
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks for your answers.

-3 Cards on the initial stash run will help certain class for sure. One thing I have noticed is that it seem (don't have access to the game right now) that the dwarf doesn't have a 1-h weapon in the stash? So in theory it's probably stronger to have 1-h + shield and armor early but if you can't get a good 1-h you are better with a 2-h + armor. Once you can go buy at the emporium you can buy the 1-h hammer for like 20 gold and then you have 2 guaranteed armor + 3 blue dice for defense which seem very strong for the first scenario (monsters will deal close to no damage with this setup most of the time).

Here are more collected thoughts on the balance for the first scenario after another nearly full playthrough yesterday:

1) The luck elements in spawning 2 blues in one shot (2 shadows or a double shadow) then having both activate at the end of your turn while you are alone, thus allowing the 2nd one to get domination + banding bonus of +2 mean you can easily die instantly. If you avoid this situation the scenario seem much easier.

2) Dominating + banding seem like double dipping (and redondant from a design standpoint). Honestly just 1 +1 is probably enough especially on the first scenario. In an earlier game I got hit for 5 damage ignoring 1 armor by a blue gremlins.

3) To me I think it would make more sens at least balance wise to start at day and get to night when you arrive at the city. This would make the start easier and the middle and end tougher. Once you get there in theory you have acquire some upgrades and potentialy a level but I agree that opinions could vary on that.

4) This one is harder to balance probably I guess but the upgrade you get from fighting in stash loot and top-decking a good 1st level upgrade is massive. In my last game I went from a sword on the rogue to the 1 hit, 1 red 3 blue 4 range bow with which I could 1-shot blue even at night. The game previous to that I got an healing potion. Not the same game basically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope the card is right, in 2015 we have tested Laegon with free action but it was too powerful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.