Popular Tags: [View All]
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the fantasy theme. I'll get a game that's got it just to see more ways to present it. I'd already owned and played Runebound when Return of the Heroes (RotH) first showed up at my FLGS. I read the back, looked it over, and decided it looked too much like Runebound to justify spending the money on.

After reading a couple more session reports here on BGG, and seeing one comment about how RotH was "Magic Realm-lite," I became more interested. One comment that especially got my attention was how it was more difficult to die/get KOed in RotH compared to Runebound. We're starting to have children now, and hoping that eventually our kids will be interested in falling into the game hobby like we are. So a game's accesibility to the younger set has become a consideration for us. Runebound isn't the most challenging of games, but with the second edition, the difficulty level is ramped up pretty high. Younger players may get discouraged with the setbacks that getting KOed presented. I wanted to see if RotH presents the same fantasy adventure game but is more forgiving on poor strategies or bad rolling.

In this regard, I wasn't let down. RotH has a fairly basic set of rules. Everything works on the idea of the Trial. Succeed (roll less than or equal to your skill) and something good happens, fail and something bad happens, or maybe nothing happens. But since most battles only last one round, and you only lose one hit point, even the mage, with 2 starting hit points, won't be killed by some bad luck with that first encounter. You can't say that about Runebound if you happen to draw the Carnivorous Plant as your first Green challenge.

Since our son isn't quite 15 months old, he didn't join in. But his parents found the game to be fun and challenging, so I really think this does a good job of making a game adults and kids can play together. And the mechanics and presentation are different enough from Runebound that it doesn't feel like you're playing the same games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
The 15-month old didn't play? Come on! At least he could have helped roll the dice. laugh

Just watch out for sticky fingers on the counters. (Whoops! There goes the market again! Billy, get back here!)

Seriously, my three-year-old is dying to play RotH with mommy and daddy. He loves the way it looks. Obviously he's still too young, but I can't wait to play this game with him in a few years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which game imparts a greater sense of being immersed in a sensational adventure?

I'm on the fence between RotH and Runebound. The latter looks deeper and better, but RotH places more of an emphasis on quests (where Runebound is all Hack & Slash). Until I play it, I'm not sure whether hacking my way through hours of monsters is what I'm looking for - but if it's fun then.. who can say.

Talisman was pretty perfect (in my hazy and nostalgic memory). Does Runebound offer at least this degree of non-combat options / encounters?

Hummm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Talisman was pretty perfect (in my hazy and nostalgic memory).

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/123249

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
Move to the left, or move to....er...the right. Options fest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryB wrote:
Move to the left, or move to....er...the right. Options fest!

I don't know what Talisman you play but in mine you may choose to explore: City, Forest, Mountain, Dungeon, outer and middle regions. This gives you plenty of choices and options to explore before you move to the tower.

I also seem to have a different experience with the duration of the game compared to other fellow BGGers as my Talisman games last 60 - 90 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
Since the game is designed for 4 drunks, 60 minutes seems a bit short to me.

Incidently, I dragged Talisman (plus all expansions) out recently for a nostalgia fest. Runebound 2ed actually has more non-combat encounters than Talisman has!!! Your memory must be playing tricks. Talisman wants to FIGHT!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.