Ben Downes
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all, I want to play more games similar to Murano and Istanbul. I like games with many options, generally worker placement games. What are some games I need to add to my collection?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with the expansion to Istanbul - played it for the first time this weekend and it was a lot of fun. I also tried Village recently and would recommend that as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Madeira - But it's definitely heavier than Murano and Istanbul.

Stone Age - A lot easier to teach and play than Madeira.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about

Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar

Orléans

Snowdonia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For worker place to you might want to look at Viticulture with Tuscany: Expand the World of Viticulture. Lots of good decisions here starting with choosing turn order (and special benefits from your choice) as well as what seasons to use your workers and what action in the chosen seasons you want to take. Really interesting engine building here.

Another WP game that I really enjoy is Snowdonia. While there isn't any engine building here it is a really dynamic problem you are trying to solve. You need to plan to be able to take the best possible use of the forecastable weather all the while contending with a "competitor" company that is eating up some of the victory point earning actions. Again, while the timing of these events is random you do know the order in which you take them.

A non WP game with lots of decisions is Five Tribes. It has a variable setup and you can move any of the meeples on the board to work your plan.

Finally, Lewis & Clark is a hand management game with worker placement. You are constantly deciding how to play the cards in your hand and place the workers you obtain to maximize forward progress while avoiding any setbacks due to unplayed cards, excess cargo and excess workers when you decide to camp. And, it is a beautiful game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James To My Friends
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DevilDoctor wrote:
Hi all, I want to play more games similar to Murano and Istanbul. I like games with many options, generally worker placement games. What are some games I need to add to my collection?

Do you prefer games that start with lots of otions which then narrow as the game progesses? Or games where the options stay about the same all the way through? Or ones where your options increase as the game progresses?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Royal Palace has nine large tiles that you lay out in a suggested or random arrangement, like Istanbul. One difference is that the more meeples you place on a tile, the more you can do with that action.

Hawaii also had randomly placed large tiles to make the game board different for each play.

Targi has slightly random placement to make the board; i.e., if a tribe tile was in position one for the first round, when that action gets used, a resources tile will be placed in that position for the second round. [Note: I've changed terminology to compare "tiles" to "tiles," but in Targi they're cards, not heavy tiles.]

Edit:
In Egizia the cards you place your workers on come out in random order.

You might conclude that Luna fulfills your requirements too. The board is modular and randomly set up.

All the games I've listed are definitely WORKER PLACEMENT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say anything by Feld but I guess I will get more specific with Amerigo due to the random board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Downes
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Kirk and everyone else! Thanks for all your replies! Firstly Kirk, I'll have to have a look at the expansion online. I'm yet to play through a full game of Istanbul. I don't have enough eager gamer friends to try it out on. I have played it using a dummy player only and doing that person's movement. It looks great though. What does the expansion do for the game? I have seen Rahdo's runthrough of Village and haven't added it to my collection as yet. I'm more eager to play MyVillage the new game by Marcus and Inka Brand. Thanks Kirk!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Downes
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
It's on the list Joe. Thank you. I've played Stone Age online. Haven't played Madeira. I'll check that out also. Thanks Joe!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Downes
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Leonard, I haven't played any of those games either. I know of Orleans, anything set in France gets my tick! I know nothing about Snowdonia? I've seen Tzolk'in. It looks good!! Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Downes
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Joe, I've seen Viticulture, that looks fantastic. It's the type of game I'd love to own. I love wine so I'd love that game. I own Five Tribes - it's my wife's favourite game! I've seen Lewis & Clark runthrough. Do you have to know anything about American history to play that game? I briefly know what Lewis & Clark is about. Sounds interesting. Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Downes
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Hey James, good question, I love games with lots of options right throughout the gaming experience, be that a random set up at the start. I like having the option to have cards I can use to either buy or gain victory points with, I don't mind dice games - but they aren't my favourite. I find I get bored with games that don't give me enough avenues to win as I seem to change strategies if losing. Thanks James!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Downes
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Kathleen, Hawaii would be right up my alley as it's pretty and looks like it has enough to make me wanna play again and again. I love games that have many options and love it when a games graphics pop right out of the box. Any dull looking games I tend to not be interested in and steer away from, even if the game play is good. Royal Palace looks fun though. Targi, Egizia and Luna I know nothing about. I'll have to do some research! Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Downes
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Hey Chris, Stephan Feld is a an awesome designer. My favourite designer is Antoine Bauza though. I haven't played Amerigo. I'll have to check that out for it's random setup. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Khalil
Qatar
flag msg tools
Follow along on Instagram @tabletopsessions
badge
Follow along on Instagram @tabletopsessions
mbmbmbmbmb
DevilDoctor wrote:

If it's the grid movement, resource conversion, and changing market states that you liked about Istanbul, I'd recommend The World of Smog: On Her Majesty's Service
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Downes
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Elias, I'll check that game out sounds interesting. Many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I pleeeeaaasssseeeee have decent thread titles and not dots instead of useful words?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Downes
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Chris, thanks for your sarcastic reply. Cheers lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.