Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Gillespie
Canada
Strathmore
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I initially backed this on day one, but then dropped out last week once I realized what the cost would be including shipping cost and the canadian exchange rate, especially for something that won't come for another year. However, I am reconsidering coming back on after seeing just how much is KS exclusive and after acknowledging just how cool the game seems. I have one last question though that has never seemed to be answered:

How does the checkpoint system work in relation to losing the game?

-I am not talking about one person dying, because I know that you can just pop in with another character and no equipment
-I AM talking about the situation where everyone dies, or you draw the dreaded curse from the discard, or the entire team gets the consequence "your adventure is over"
-When that happens, will we have to pack it all up and start over from card 001, or is there a way to start over from a recent checkpoint, likely with a much reduced inventory, etc?

If everything ends, then I might just feel fine with walking away from this. I have read plenty of choose your own adventures, I regularly play D&D, and I played the heck out of the old tim schafer games back in the day. If I got to an ending I didn't like in a CYOA book, I didn't throw away the book or start all over from the beginning, I went back one or two choices and tried to see how I could do better on my current adventure. If our party recieves a TPK in the underdark, as very nearly happened last month, the whole campaign doesn't just end, we roll up new characters, survivors go on sidequests to resurrect fallen members, etc. If I died in an adventure game on the PC, I didn't restart the entire thing, I would reload a recent save and try again.

I mention all of those anecdotes because they are examples of the kinds of game or experience that 7C is trying to emulate, and in each of them it is acceptable for failure to be a consequence but not a catastrophe, since it is more about getting through the story than winning or losing. The longer a game is, the more impact failure has, and if I lose 18 hours into a 20 hour game, it will be pretty devastating. It would be different if there was a final confrontation and it could go either way, but if it is something as inane as stepping on some sea urchins on the far end of the continent and keeling over then that would leave a terrible sour taste in my mouth. I know that many of you are going to jump on me for being too soft and that taking away the capacity for failure makes winning less meaningful. To those people, I would ask them to play skyrim and delete their save game every time they die and tell me how much they enjoy that. Some of them might enjoy it a lot as an extra challenge, but I can guarantee that they would be in the minority.

I'll leave off with one last comparison. Minecraft. Actually, it seems like pretty apt comparison, since in both games, you are stranded in an inhospitable land and must find ways to survive and thrive. Anyways, In most game modes, you are able to die. Dying sucks. You lose all of your equipment, your experience, you have to backtrack a lot, and if there was a creeper involved, you probably have some rebuilding to do. But you come back, and are able to get back on your feet with some effort. It makes you care about the consequences, but you don't get completely mauled. Now on hardcore mode things are different. In hardcore, hunger is more persistent, enemies are harder, wounds heal more slowly, and death is permanent. As in no restore save, look at your final score and start over. There are admittedly many people who enjoy hardcore mode for the challenge of it, but I would wager that the broad user base would tend towards standard mode instead, and I for one would hope that 7C would follow the standard model rather than hardcore.

So Jamie, Bruno, anyone who can speak authoritatively? will losing be a permanent game over, or will there be a mechanism to return to a recent checkpoint? The answer might be worth a few more pledges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean West
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have references right at hand but I think you could find them with a small bit of searching.

As I recall, they have said that if your character dies or something equivalent then you would put all the terrain cards back in the box and start over at the beginning terrain card for that region that you are in. I think they might have also said that you lose your item cards and/or cards from your hand. I'm not 100% sure but it will be something like that.

If you take a look at the PNP example they gave:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
If you fail while trying to escape the island it tells you that all the characters involved get the Terrified and Tired state cards, then you have to remove all of the map cards from the table and put a 001 card (the starting position) in play on the table.

In other words, you start over but now with the disadvantages of Terrified and Tired.

I expect the checkpoint system will work in a very similar way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamie has said you'll occasionally come across checkpoints in your exploring, and you'll be able to pick up there if you die. However, you'll lose your ideas, items and experience. But you definitely don't have to start all over.

And in case you missed it, they've now added a Canadian shipping site, so shipping is cheaper, and there's no concern about customs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kas Nova

California
msg tools
I don't think that Sean West's post is an accurate description of checkpoints. The only explanation for checkpoints that I could find was in this post: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1426253/adventurers-guide-c...

"The game features "checkpoints". If you can find them, these are cards you can carry in your "shoulder bag". In the case of your untimely demise; you can "respawn" on these points however you will lose all your cards in the process, almost starting again from scratch so it really is a last resort!"

So it looks like you'll find cards while exploring that go into your shoulder bag and let you restart on certain map tiles with no ideas or items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about taking a few pictures with your phone? It seems like you could lay out the cards and snap a few pics, and then set up that exact point in the game later on. We've done that with a few games like Shadows of Brimstone and SDE: Forgotten King when we want to remember what gear we had or can't finish a game in 1 play session.

Not the most elegant solution but it gives you the opportunity to save your game at any point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should add that the idea is not to die, and Serious Poulp have indicated that will be possible. The checkpoints are just a failsafe so you don't have to start all over, though several people have mentioned they'd pay hardcore and do just that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.