Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a used core set and some expansions off the internet. One of the six Cthulhu domain markers has escaped. Reading the rules, am I correct in saying:

1-these markers are only used to mark domains which have been "drained?"

2-drained = exhausted, tapped, kneeling, or some other card game term denoting a power which has been used this turn?

3-the game is just as playable with only 5 markers or will I need to find 6 substitute markers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each player starts with three domains, so you really need three markers per player. Extra domains are sometimes added during play. But you can use whatever you like for domain markers.

If you're keen on the FFG Cthulhu statuettes for domain markers (I like 'em myself), they are sold separately as Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game – Bag of Cthulhu, with additional tiny ones to upgrade your success tokens from the counters in the core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use whatever you want as markers, it doesn't really matter. As Carthoris said, even 6 isn't really sufficient since there are cards that can add domains.

Your domains are how you pay for cards, and can be used once per turn. Putting the marker on it shows that it's been used, that's all.

The reason you want some sort of marker instead of tapping the card is that other cards are under it, so it's a bit awkward. Also, they're usually placed side-by-side so turning them would bump into the other domain cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like barring me buying a second core or a "Big Bag o' Cthulhu," a bunch of those flat green glass beads will be the way to go.

Which reminds me, I assume this game follows FFG's standard LCG policy of not having 3 of every card in the core set so there is some value in acquiring multiples?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It actually has one of the best distributions. There is exactly 1x of every card in the Core set. So, you can buy up to three Cores and not have any wasted excess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Sounds like barring me buying a second core or a "Big Bag o' Cthulhu," a bunch of those flat green glass beads will be the way to go.

Which reminds me, I assume this game follows FFG's standard LCG policy of not having 3 of every card in the core set so there is some value in acquiring multiples?

I do recommend the Big Bag. The big Cthulhus are great for the domains, and the little ones for stories, and whatever else you might want.

However, if you do buy multiple cores you're going to end up with a pile of big ones. I've not quite figured out what to do with them outside the odd start player token in something Cthulhu themed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ries
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the dice from the FFG game, Elder Sign as my domain markers. They are more portable than Cthulhu s and look cool!

http://www.thedorkden.com/blog%20picutres/elder2.jpg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made "real" Elder Signs out of black and glow-in-the-dark fimo for another game, but if you made 'em about 2" in diameter, they'd be great domain markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Monsterpocalypse figures:

http://monsterpocalypse.com/gallery/Lords%20of%20Cthul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of using some of the extra Collectors Edition cultist minis from Cthulhu Wars that I'll be getting for being a Kickstarter backer with the original campaign.

not the colour of the CE minis but you get the idea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Yup. Getting a second core set is definitely recommended if you happen to enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Folkert
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used green-lidded beer bottles in one game, just for grins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.