Subject: expansions worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this at my FLGS and really enjoyed it and I'm thinking about picking it up for the family. I'm pretty sure I'll get the 6 player expansions but are the other ones worth it?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris S
Canada
Delta
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the Dolphins and Dive Dice Expansion is a must. It just feels like a better option for movement. The Giant Squid Expansion isn't as important, but is fun if you like even more chaos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue 80
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all the expansions and yet I rarely play with any of them. The five / six players hits the table most for obvious reasons. I find the squid too overpowered, the dolphins are pretty but don't really do anything and make being in the water a death sentence particularly in games with four or more players (it takes too long to reach the islands without the dolphin cards), and the dive dice take away the balancing mechanism of the three different threats. Just my thoughts. We only really use them for the occasional 1-on-1, to spice up the otherwise lacklustre two-player experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacky Blue Note wrote:
I have all the expansions and yet I rarely play with any of them. The five / six players hits the table most for obvious reasons. I find the squid too overpowered, the dolphins are pretty but don't really do anything and make being in the water a death sentence particularly in games with four or more players (it takes too long to reach the islands without the dolphin cards), and the dive dice take away the balancing mechanism of the three different threats. Just my thoughts. We only really use them for the occasional 1-on-1, to spice up the otherwise lacklustre two-player experience.

thumbsup

- 5-6 players is obvious although the game with 5 or 6 players is even more luck dependend (but I don't mind)
- squid is overpowerd (I didn't try the weaker squid variant in the rulebook yet)
- don't like the dive dice, without the dice a shark is weaker than a monster but can move more spaces. With the dive dice is obvious better rolling the monster since all can move the same amount of space (rolled with the second die)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
Somerset
NJ
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that Stronghold Games is releasing a boxed expansion for 3 of the current mini-expansions together:

Survive: Dolphins & Squids & 5-6 Players...Oh My!

Street Date is November 25.

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter N
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
Whoaa interesting! What will it be priced at?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
Somerset
NJ
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$19.95
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Orr
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evilone wrote:
$19.95

Thanks! I stumbled onto this this evening while I was looking around for the expansions. This is going to be awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacky Blue Note wrote:

You know, I actually played this game with 6 players the other day. Honestly, it felt like a mess. The strange thing was, that I had previously played this game with 3 of the 5 other people without the expansions, and I feel like it was a much more intimate, aggressive, and interesting experience. Whales and sharks no longer feel like they have power. Before, even whales felt useful with their 3 movements.. Giving all the creatures a random movement makes you loathe whales for their lack of killing power.

I think I may try, next time, to keep the squid and dolphin, but lose the movement die completely, making dolphin to sharks what squid is to whale. (That way, the red dolphin hex could still be used as a power to give a swimmer w/ dolhpin a 3 space boost, where as normally, a dolphin moves one space with a swimmer)

I also feel like 6 players is probably just a little too chaotic. Either that, or the other expansion rules were to blame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.