Lewis & Clark» Forums » Rules

Subject: Assorted Newbie Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
1. I read in the FAQ re: the new rules to prevent the "Hang Back" strategy. I'm just curious though. What is the "Hang Back" strategy?

2. When playing the Interpreter, one of the steps is to place an Indian figure from the Stock into the Newcomer area. Do you do this even if there are Indian figures still in the Pow Wow area (i.e., if the player who played the Interpreter only took some of the Indian figures)?

3. Also, when playing the Interpreter, the rules state, "If you activate the Interpreter action with a Strength of 2 or 3, you repeat the process 2 or 3 times, refilling the Journal and the Newcomer area each time. This will allow you to obtain 1 or 2 additional Indians." Since you can take all of the Indians with one activation, would you only activate the Interpreter multiple times in order to introduce additional cards into the Journal?

4. The solo rules state, "Each place where an Indian is present in the Indian Village provides the resource corresponding to its resource badge. During a collection, add up the number of badges of the resource being collected that are visible in your Playing Area and on the occupied places of the Village." Am I correct in assuming that if you have multiple Indians occupying one of these spaces, you still only get credit for that 1 resource badge and not 1 per Indian in the space?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lane
United States
Castle Pines
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Answers:

1. Don't worry about it. Try to get going as soon as you can.

2. Yes, you put all the in play Indians in the Pow Wow area and bring another Indian into the Newcomer area.

3. No, you can get 1 additional Indian as well when activating the power the 2nd and 3rd time in addition to wiping the cards each time. Not used very often in my experience.

4. Yes, I believe only 1 resource badge, not 1 per Indian.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:
1. I read in the FAQ re: the new rules to prevent the "Hang Back" strategy. I'm just curious though. What is the "Hang Back" strategy?

Hanging back and "teching up" (recruiting from the journal), until you have a really powerful engine. It also saps other players of resources, usually, because you set up camp often in order to deny badges.

schnel wrote:

2. When playing the Interpreter, one of the steps is to place an Indian figure from the Stock into the Newcomer area. Do you do this even if there are Indian figures still in the Pow Wow area (i.e., if the player who played the Interpreter only took some of the Indian figures)?

Yes. You only stop when the stock is empty.

schnel wrote:

3. Also, when playing the Interpreter, the rules state, "If you activate the Interpreter action with a Strength of 2 or 3, you repeat the process 2 or 3 times, refilling the Journal and the Newcomer area each time. This will allow you to obtain 1 or 2 additional Indians." Since you can take all of the Indians with one activation, would you only activate the Interpreter multiple times in order to introduce additional cards into the Journal?

Well, don't forget that you add an indian from the stock at the END of each activation, so if you activate it three times, you could get a maximum of n+2 indians, where n is the number currently in the village when you start the action.

schnel wrote:

4. The solo rules state, "Each place where an Indian is present in the Indian Village provides the resource corresponding to its resource badge. During a collection, add up the number of badges of the resource being collected that are visible in your Playing Area and on the occupied places of the Village." Am I correct in assuming that if you have multiple Indians occupying one of these spaces, you still only get credit for that 1 resource badge and not 1 per Indian in the space?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. This has already been explained. But here is a link to an official fix to deter "hanging back" by the designer himself:

Official fix for the hang back strategy

Though I prefer this one:

A more elegant fix for the hang-back strategy

This↑ has proven to be a very effective deterrent and is much easier to implement. I'll never use the "official" one. The OP of this latter thread calls it what it is--a patch (and kind of a sloppy one, imho).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone, very helpful.
Re: the Interpreter, I had forgotten that you always add 1 more Indian figure at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.