Subject: Double Suppression? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Tosko
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
Can a unit have 2 suppression markers at the same time? Playing the Germans in Scenario 4 last night, I drew 2 Cower Events close together, and couldn't find anything in the rules that forbids this.

Also, on a separate issue, I had the option on another draw of breaking a German squad into 2 equivalent teams. I considered this with an Elite Rifle squad, but wasn't entirely certain what 2 teams would be considered their equivalent, as there didn't seem to be any Elite Rifle teams in the counter mix. I think there were Elite teams and Rifle teams, but no Elite Rifle teams.

Finally, this Scenario 4 seems to be a tough one for the Americans--anyone have good advice on getting the Americans to the big building objective without sustaining serious damage? My opponent has been hoping for accurate artillery strikes, to no avail thus far, and waiting for the turn 3 reinforcements.

Thanks for any help you can provide (love this game!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tosko wrote:
Can a unit have 2 suppression markers at the same time? Playing the Germans in Scenario 4 last night, I drew 2 Cower Events close together, and couldn't find anything in the rules that forbids this.

You cannot have multiple suppression markers on a unit, likewise for veteran markers and weapons. All units can only have 1 of the aforementioned at any given time.

Quote:
Also, on a separate issue, I had the option on another draw of breaking a German squad into 2 equivalent teams. I considered this with an Elite Rifle squad, but wasn't entirely certain what 2 teams would be considered their equivalent, as there didn't seem to be any Elite Rifle teams in the counter mix. I think there were Elite teams and Rifle teams, but no Elite Rifle teams.

Each scenario dictates what type of Teams you can get. It is displayed via OB troop quality and they are either Green, Line or Elite.

Quote:
Finally, this Scenario 4 seems to be a tough one for the Americans--anyone have good advice on getting the Americans to the big building objective without sustaining serious damage? My opponent has been hoping for accurate artillery strikes, to no avail thus far, and waiting for the turn 3 reinforcements.

For me, it is easy to be the Americans. Remember your Radio can lay smoke. Lay a blanket of smoke as you run towards the building and just Assault to Melee. You have way better units for melee and outnumber the Germans.

Quote:
Thanks for any help you can provide (love this game!)

You are welcome. It is my first and only 10 at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Tosko wrote:
Can a unit have 2 suppression markers at the same time? .... couldn't find anything in the rules that forbids this.

Just to point out the rule...8.1.1 is the reference you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

No. This covered in rule 8.1.1.

Quote:
I had the option on another draw of breaking a German squad into 2 equivalent teams. I considered this with an Elite Rifle squad, but wasn't entirely certain what 2 teams would be considered their equivalent, as there didn't seem to be any Elite Rifle teams in the counter mix. I think there were Elite teams and Rifle teams, but no Elite Rifle teams.

Every nationality has Elite, Line and Green Teams. Every scenario will assign a player a Troop Quality of Elite, Line or Green. Whenever any Squad breaks down into a Team (via Light Wounds Action, Deploy Event, or overstacking, for example) the Team you grab must match your Troop Quality. It has nothing to do with the name of the Squad, which is just a representative and evocative title that has exactly zero impact on the play of the game.

Quote:

Smoke! Do NOT use your tiny Artillery for high-explosive: those elite Germans in the 3-Cover chateau will just shrug it off. Use Smoke every time you perform an Artillery Request Order to hinder your opponent's fire as you approach the building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Tosko
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
Thanks to all for your answers and advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome, Mike!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tosko wrote:

I think it's probably not worth trying to accomplish much before the flamethrowers arrive. You just want to prepare the groundwork so that they will have maximum effect right away. That means laying lots of smoke to cover their approach (note that smoke is barely an inconvenience for flamethrowers, but a huge impediment to other weapons, as I recently learned), and, probably, saving some Assault Fire cards in your hand---these can be huge with the flamethrowers.

I think it's also conceivable that the Americans could play to win this scenario without bothering to attack the building---just run your units across the board and exit, over and over. Perhaps I'm dreaming, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.