• [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brosman
United States
Roanoke
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, I won't say that I'm super familiar with the playstyle of the source material. I'll just comment a little on the cards.

Captain Falcon - He's a lot of text. It seems like his ability is meant to be like Reese's, but it helps you cycle cards. One of the best things in exceed is using simple effects to convey complex ideas. Now I'm not sure what I'd do here, but I do think he should be simplified a bit. Walls of text are discouraging.

That said, it's a powerful ability and could be quite good.

Falcon Punch - I like it. You've captured a lot of what makes this move so fun. The only thing that seemed weird was the large gauge build at the end. It seems like you're just encouraging someone to spam their super moves one after another.

Johnny Stock - I don't get the reference, and I don't get the move. It's sure to go first, and it always stuns. I'm just having a tough time wrapping my mind around it. Also, remembering something more than one turn after the fact can be tough, so the hit effect is weird.

Knee - I like it. I love the "if they hit the wall bonus damage" it's a pretty cool idea.

Moonwalk - This is a really cool card. It's a bit like Dash from Battlecon, but still unique. I love that as a strike it gets you out of dodge and as a boost you can dash in and strike. Great stuff.

Nair - Fun attack, but why do you need all that guard when you're speed six and you win ties? Solid move none the less.

Raptor Boost - Interesting attack. I think it would be easier to say attacks at range 3 or 4 miss. The attack effect is pretty cool. I love the "uppercut then dash". The boost is an aweful lot of text and it triggers something with a bunch of rules. I'd look at simplifying it.

Stomp - Sweet attack. I would change the boost though. If the boost does what the attack does then they're only useful in the same situations. If you look at Assault, the effect closes spaces, but the boost retreats spaces. That way it's useful much more of the time.

Overall this looks really fun, but I'm confident that you can improve it and really get it honed down to something quite sharp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Vansen
msg tools
Thanks for the response! We did play test everything so we did tweaks before all this came to be what it is. I designed the character around the meta of real competitive smash bros melee so somethings may seem a bit odd to someone who doesn’t understand melee at that level (ill elaborate when I get to it.)

Falcon’s ability is similar to Reese’s for sure. In competitive melee falcon is all about “Hard Reads”, he isn’t a character who can get guaranteed hits unless he flat out calls what the other character is about to do. So I made his ability around that idea where you can keep getting hits by taking chance of losing a couple cards and gaining one, you lose options but could get lucky enough to get the perfect sequence of cards to destroy your opponent. The more you use the ability the more risky it becomes because the increasing cost of force.

Since in melee falcon is all about getting in the head of your opponent I wanted falcon punch to be the epitome of styling on your opponent. Competitive melee is so fast and technical that getting a falcon punch is very rare. I wanted this card to have a “HYPE” effect because when you hit someone with a falcon punch in melee you really sway the mental game in your favor, you just disrespected your opponent to the max. The guage kinda represents this shift in momentum.
Johnny stock is a reference to the best falcon player of all time S2J. He’s known for going on tares where he destroys his opponents out of nowhere and takes them from 0% to death. So I wanted to reward people storing enough gauge to be able to get an effect that would give them the momentum for at least a couple turns, I made it an auto stun so you could jump right into your ability and start taking advantage of that new buff you just received. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFskE4RzOEc (WATCH THIS HYPEEEEE)

I wanted the boost “HARD READ” to be a big gamble. It’s basically a 1 in 6 chance of getting a devastating blow on the opponent or just flubbing the attack. Again I want falcon to be a momentum based character where taking risks either rewards you a lot or you just go out like a buster.

I also think that ability’s that are simple are more engaging and easy to understand, but I like having a little complexity when you really know the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Vansen
msg tools
I think stomp's boost works because stomp is a gap closer, once falcons gets in on the opponent he wouldn't use stomp because he has better options. The gain advantage applied to one his better range 1 attacks could start up his combo game with this boost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.