Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gov. Scott Walker signed legislation on Friday limiting the use of a law that had been employed in investigations of him and his allies

Quote:
Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin, who gave up his quest for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination last month, signed into law on Friday a measure that limits a longstanding tool against political corruption that has been used in investigations of Mr. Walker and his allies.

The John Doe law, as it is called in Wisconsin, has given prosecutors the power to obtain search warrants and order people to testify and turn over documents in investigations that typically take place in secret.

Under the measure, which easily passed both Republican-controlled chambers of the State Legislature, prosecutors will no longer be allowed to use the John Doe law to investigate crimes that include bribery and misconduct in office. The legislation will also limit proceedings to six months and lift an order that barred subjects of an investigation from discussing it publicly.

Prosecutors can still use the John Doe law to investigate violent crimes and drug-related felonies.

Six of Mr. Walker’s aides or allies were convicted as a result of a John Doe investigation. Mr. Walker’s former government office and, later, his campaign were the focus of John Doe investigations of campaign activities and fund-raising, but he was never charged.

Kelly M. Rindfleisch, deputy chief of staff to Mr. Walker during his time as Milwaukee county executive, pleaded guilty in 2012 to felony misconduct in public office after facing charges that she had used county time to perform campaign work.

Republicans said the change in the law was required to curb what they called unnecessarily long and intrusive investigations that amounted to political witch hunts. They said that other tools, like grand juries, could be used to investigate possible political crimes. In a joint statement last month, Robin Vos, the Assembly speaker, and Scott Fitzgerald, the Senate majority leader, said the legislation would allow “sensible changes to the state’s broad John Doe statutes.”

This week, the Assembly approved the bill overwhelmingly, 61 to 36, and the Senate passed it 18 to 14. Both votes fell along party lines.

Democrats denounced the bill as a measure to give politicians cover for committing crimes in office.

Peter Barca, the Democratic minority leader of the Assembly, said last week in anticipation of the bill’s passing, “The era of clean, open and transparent government in Wisconsin is over.”

“I fear for the future of democracy in Wisconsin, and I am not overstating the problem, in my judgment,” Mr. Barca said. Democrats also decried a bill, passed this week, to loosen campaign finance restrictions in the state.

Jennifer Shilling, the Senate minority leader, said in a statement on Friday that the bill to limit use of the John Doe law was “a gross abuse of political power.”

“Republicans should be less concerned about covering up Governor Walker’s political scandals and more focused on helping hardworking Wisconsin families,” she said.

Laurel Patrick, a spokeswoman for Mr. Walker, did not respond to a request for comment.

Jay Heck, executive director of Common Cause in Wisconsin, a nonprofit organization that lobbies for clean and open government and opposed the new legislation, said the John Doe law had allowed district attorneys to successfully prosecute political corruption that might not have been pursued otherwise.

“What this new law does is it exempts from the John Doe process crimes that are committed involving elections, campaign finance and ethics,” he said. “In other words, the crimes that politicians would be most likely to commit. They have carved out a special exemption for themselves.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the point in hiding it anymore...just go full on idealogically corrupt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:

It's is just amazing that these people can just do this in full view of everyone and think that is justifiable. Are the people of Wisconsin just going to uncomfortably shuffle their feet and with a sheepish lopsided grin mumble something about public unions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
Please investigate a resource based economy.
mbmbmbmbmb
All politics are immersed in corruption in the context of a monetary system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Altair IV wrote:

It's is just amazing that these people can just do this in full view of everyone and think that is justifiable. Are the people of Wisconsin just going to uncomfortably shuffle their feet and with a sheepish lopsided grin mumble something about public unions?

I think they can say something about super shady abuses of the powers of the John Doe investigations of recent years. Walker actually competes with Trump for asshattery, but he was handed a justification for this on a silver platter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
If you want to understand what this law stops instead of Donald's knee-jerk dumbshittery "news" in the OP, here is what Democrats in Wisconsin have done with the John Doe investigation. A prosecutor from Milwaukee whose wife is a member of the teachers union told people that it was his duty to stop Walker. He took it upon himself to go after conservatives here in WI to try to shut down grass roots activism. He used the John Doe investigation to do pre-dawn raids on conservative activists' homes, deny them any information about what they were being investigated for, put a gag order on them disallowing them to disclose the fact that they were being investigated at all, and abused these people beyond any reasonable threshold for his investigation.

When it was all said and done, he was unable to prove his allegations of coordination between Walker's campaign and the various conservative organizations he targeted and the Wisconsin Supreme Court stated that even if his allegations were true that the activity was not illegal.

Supreme Court decision

Quote:
In a ruling this morning, the Wisconsin Supreme Court rendered official what observers have long known: Wisconsin Democrats did, in fact, launch a massive, multi-county “John Doe” investigation of the state’s conservatives, featuring extraordinarily broad subpoenas and coordinated “paramilitary” raids of private homes; the “crimes” that provided the investigation’s pretext were not crimes at all, but First Amendment-protected speech; and the legal theory underpinning the investigation was bunk, “unsupported in either reason or law,” as the court put it.

Cindy Archer's story

Quote:
Cindy Archer, one of the lead architects of Wisconsin’s Act 10 — also called the “Wisconsin Budget Repair Bill,” it limited public-employee benefits and altered collective-bargaining rules for public-employee unions — was jolted awake by yelling, loud pounding at the door, and her dogs’ frantic barking. The entire house — the windows and walls — was shaking.

She looked outside to see up to a dozen police officers, yelling to open the door. They were carrying a battering ram.

She wasn’t dressed, but she started to run toward the door, her body in full view of the police. Some yelled at her to grab some clothes, others yelled for her to open the door.

“I was so afraid,” she says. “I did not know what to do.” She grabbed some clothes, opened the door, and dressed right in front of the police. The dogs were still frantic.

“I begged and begged, ‘Please don’t shoot my dogs, please don’t shoot my dogs, just don’t shoot my dogs.’ I couldn’t get them to stop barking, and I couldn’t get them outside quick enough. I saw a gun and barking dogs. I was scared and knew this was a bad mix.”

She got the dogs safely out of the house, just as multiple armed agents rushed inside. Some even barged into the bathroom, where her partner was in the shower. The officer or agent in charge demanded that Cindy sit on the couch, but she wanted to get up and get a cup of coffee.

“I told him this was my house and I could do what I wanted.” Wrong thing to say. “This made the agent in charge furious. He towered over me with his finger in my face and yelled like a drill sergeant that I either do it his way or he would handcuff me.”

They wouldn’t let her speak to a lawyer. She looked outside and saw a person who appeared to be a reporter. Someone had tipped him off.

The neighbors started to come outside, curious at the commotion, and all the while the police searched her house, making a mess, and — according to Cindy — leaving her “dead mother’s belongings strewn across the basement floor in a most disrespectful way.”

Then they left, carrying with them only a cellphone and a laptop.

Morning raid of a house with a 16 year old while parents are gone

Quote:
It was still dark outside when “Jonah” (not his real name) heard the pounding on his front door. As luck would have it, he was awake — or mostly awake. He’d gotten up at 4:00 a.m. on October 3, 2013, to see his parents off to the airport. They were leaving on a quick trip to raise money for the children’s charity his father runs. Jonah was 16 at the time, old enough to stay home alone for a short time, but not old enough to deal with what awaited him on the other side of the door.

The pounding continued, and Jonah peered out the window to discover its source. To his horror, he saw uniformed officers, their guns drawn. “Police,” they yelled. “We have a warrant.” An officer shined a flashlight on a document Jonah couldn’t read. Unsure what to do, but unwilling to defy the authorities, he let them in.

The officers sat him down, read him the entire search warrant, and ordered him not to tell anyone about the raid — not even school officials. He asked if he could call his parents. They said no. He asked if he could call a lawyer. They said no.

Then, they proceeded to turn his house “upside down.”

This dipshit prosecutor even threatened his critics with prosecution when they dared criticize his unlawful and ridiculous actions.

We are one of only a handful of states where John Doe investigations are codified into law. I don't care what your political persuasion is, you should be absolutely horrified by this sort of abuse of power of people because they dared exercise their First Amendment right to participate in the political process. This is the sort of thing which should have overwhelming support across the political spectrum.

Dang that's scary. Nixonesque.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey BJ, I hate to tell you, but National Review vs. NYT doesn't stack up well once you're off the reservation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me get this straight. People have been successfully convicted using this set of laws. A partisan prosecutor abused the Law. So the law is gutted so bribery and corruption can no longer be investigated with it at all while drug and violence charges have their ability to be investigated curtailed, maybe in a more measured manner.

That still seems like a shitty set of changes. It is an inappropriate response to overreach by this bad prosecutor that allows politicians to get away with corruption without worrying about good prosecutors coming after them either. Nice job. I guess this is why people won't get upset, a bad egg is held up for all to smell and the foxes are allowed to run the hen house. Perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
bjlillo wrote:
Educate yourself. The information is out there if you care to find it.

"if you care to find it" = you only need to read pretty legit secret sites

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

It should, . . . but Scott Walker!!!!!

shake

Poor Scott, the conservative Obama.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:

I think they can say something about super shady abuses of the powers of the John Doe investigations of recent years. Walker actually competes with Trump for asshattery, but he was handed a justification for this on a silver platter.

They were handed the justification to put some checks and balances in the law, not gutting it to protect themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Educate yourself. The information is out there if you care to find it.

If only you'd care.

Quote:
Scott K Walker is the current 45th Governor of Wisconsin. First elected governor in the 2010 Wisconsin general election,

Quote:
The investigation involved a September 2011 raid at Archer's east side Madison home, where officials seized her personal items and emails.

Quote:
As luck would have it, he[Jonah] was awake — or mostly awake. He’d gotten up at 4:00 a.m. on October 3, 2013, to see his parents off to the airport.

Nice of Scott to jump right on this.

But at least he takes care of his own:

Quote:
And in an opinion piece published Tuesday in The Wall Street Journal, Archer wrote that her "reputation and career have been damaged beyond repair."

"Worst of all, I have discovered that my demotion as Gov. Walker's deputy director of administration, which came four weeks before the raid on my house, appears to have been engineered by the governor's team after word reached them that I had been targeted by the district attorney," Archer wrote. "Subsequently, I have not been given any role in the administration that may bring public attention."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
Altair IV wrote:

Was the justification keeping his peeps out of trouble?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
windsagio wrote:
Hey BJ, I hate to tell you, but National Review vs. NYT doesn't stack up well once you're off the reservation.

Feel free to Google the incidents and put the pieces together yourself then. National Review did some great reporting on this with a catchy name (Wisconsin's Shame) and it's all put together in one place for easy access. They've been right across the board.

Google Cindy Archer's name and read other sources if you want. Search for "John Doe Goes to Washington” and read today's WSJ piece where more details have come out about national figures who were targeted and points out that many of the people who were targeted don't even know the GAB and prosecutors have their personal emails dumped into a searchable database and sprawled all over their office in various uncontrolled electronic and print formats. Go find some information about Deborah Jordahl. Read about the lawsuits that victims are bringing against Chisholm. Read the Wisconsin Supreme Court's decision when they soundly rejected the reasoning for the investigation and put a stop to it. Listen to some of Mark Belling's original reporting from various first hand sources on the topic. Listen to Eric O'Keefe talking to local radio media in defiance of the gag order.

Educate yourself. The information is out there if you care to find it. It's obvious that the NYT would prefer to score some political point against Walker rather than inform you about what's happening here.

Except I kind of don't care about the case in question at all. Your myopia, on the other hand, is endlessly fascinating :D

Example: You ought to know that people will question you if you use a partisan source, but it never even occurs to you to use one that won't raise questions, even though (apparently) there's more convincing references all over the place.

I want to learn more about the short in your wiring that makes you think this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
...you switch to "why the hell didn't Scott Walker change the law to protect his buddies sooner"?

No, why didn't he change the law when all these other abuses were going on? Why did he change it only after his buddies got hit by it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My question about this is... why not do away with the law altogether? If the law is so susceptible to being abused, then scrap the whole thing. The thing that seems skeevy to me is that they didn't repeal it all, they just made an exception for politicians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
TheChin! wrote:
rinelk wrote:

They were handed the justification to put some checks and balances in the law, not gutting it to protect themselves.

I don't know the details, but it would certainly have made me happier if I'd read headlines about how the law was fixed as you suggest. Plausibly that would have been more difficult than it seems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.